PDA

View Full Version : car wax, polish, ect

ballfan4141
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
if you only want to do one step and get a good shine with some protection would wax or polish be best or what AIO product?

JonMiles
03-18-2010, 11:07 PM
All depends on the paint you are working with. Good reflections come from flawless paint and if you have any paint blemishes you are going to have to correct it to get the best shine. As far as AIO I'm a big fan of klasse. But overall I prefer to do a full correction before sealing with 105/205 then topped with one of my various sealants and a coat of carnauba. What kind of condition is your paint in?

ballfan4141
03-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I got a 2003 black car. the paint really shines. it does need some correction I dont know how to use the polishers. I wanted to use a cleaner wax but dont want it to be too abrissive. I was looking at

PB polish/sealant
dodo cleaner wax
DP max wax
other PB products
chemical guys

JonMiles
03-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I like Max Wax as a finishing product, and if you have a good fine cut polish(finishing polish) you can get rid of most the blemishes by hand. It will take you the majority of a day to correct the paint but it can definitely be done with a hand polishing pad CCS Euro Foam Hand Polish Applicators - Hand polish, hand detail, foam applicators, CCS foam pads, polishing pad (http://autogeek.net/ccs-foam-hand-applicators.html). The one's I linked you to are great and very affordable. I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing how to use a machine to polish because that means you have room to learn. If you pick up a good DA it will help with future corrections and the learning curve is really small, they are easy to use and yield great results. If you watch a few instructional videos you can figure it out in about 30 minutes. Check out Mike's article called Man vs. Machine. It will give you an idea about machines and how easy they are to use.

For what you are able to do right now, I would use a polish by hand and follow with Max Wax. It will give a nice deep shine to the black paint. Just make sure to wash the car well and clay beforehand and you will see a good shine.

As you learn more on this site and others, you may want to move into machine polishing and I would say start slow, and go with a DA like the PC or Cyclo. If you feel you learn quickly and can adapt well, you can start with a flex which gives phenomenal results.

mad992
03-19-2010, 04:36 AM
ummmmmmm go with PWS AND MACHINE POLISH simply stunning results then top with your fav carnauba paste

ScottB
03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one. (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html)
or
Optimum Poli Seal, paint sealant, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/poli-seal.html)

can use both by buffer or hand ...

mtnbiker
03-20-2010, 10:31 AM
How Is this XMT360 you're talking about different than the XMT360 spray wax on BOGO?

mtnbiker
03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
OK I found the difference but they should change the name a bit! Dont you think?

A4 1.8tqm
03-20-2010, 10:42 AM
The XMT 360 polish has diminishing abrasives to correct the paint, once all the abrasives are broken down all that's left is the sealant. Polish until it disappears and your done! This stuff is great for an AIO polish.

XMT spray wax, on BOGO, is just a spray wax. It won't do any correcting, just adds protection and gloss.

Not sure why they both have the same name. :dunno:

mtnbiker
03-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks, makes sense

ScottB
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
How Is this XMT360 you're talking about different than the XMT360 spray wax on BOGO?

I believe the spray version was designed later to enhance and boost the previous use of XMT360 AIO,

redg35
03-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Optimum poli-seal.

ballfan4141
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
is there a certain way you have to use the pads by hands for correction? any techniques?

Dubbin1
04-03-2010, 08:29 AM
is there a certain way you have to use the pads by hands for correction? any techniques?

Give this a read

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20573-1-step-vs-3-steps.html