PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wheels

SATracker
03-18-2010, 10:19 PM
How do you guys clean wheels? Do you remove the wheels with a floor jack or what? If you do use a floor jack...any favorites? The jacks that come with cars aren't worth the trouble for me.

JonMiles
03-18-2010, 10:33 PM
When cleaning wheels I use a good spoke brush and boars hair brush to agitate after spraying megs wheel brightener on and letting it sit for a minute to penetrate. For a full detailing of wheels I use a hydraulic floor jack from craftsman and take the wheels all the way off using an air ratchet. I clean every inch with my megs and clay all surfaces followed by a good sealant. While the wheel is off I make sure to clean the brakes, suspension components (with any necessary painting done at this step) and I make sure to clean and dress the wheel well. With the wheel off you can do a really good cleaning of the tires with APC and dress the tire without having to worry about missing the unexposed areas underneath.

Racin10s
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Right.... I think the key is to use a great sealant when you fully detail the wheels. I do this in the beginning of the season and then just have to QD the wheels 1 time per week to keep them looking great. No need for brushes or heavy wheel solutions.

Slava
03-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I've been using P21S Wheel Gel and Swisswax wheel brush. Both work great. After cleaning I use DP Wheel Wax, it's good for a month before you have to re wash the wheels. I still spray them down with water every wash but don't have to scrub.

Emile
03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
How do you guys clean wheels? Do you remove the wheels with a floor jack or what? If you do use a floor jack...any favorites? The jacks that come with cars aren't worth the trouble for me.

Every wash I use an EZ Detail brush for the wheel barrels and a Mini EZ Detail Brush bent in the shape of an "L" to clean behind the spokes. I use a normal Mothers Wheel Brush and Mothers Tire Brush for the rim and tire, and a Swissvax Wheel Brush for the lug nuts.

Once every few months, I will jack up the car, remove the wheels and clean them that way so that I can ensure I haven't missed any spots after the course of a few months (usually I do this whenever it's time to rotate my tires). This is also an easy way to handle tar that has accumulated but I didn't notice or couldn't reach easily to clean.

I just lift one side up with a pair of hydraulic bottle jacks. They are slow to bring the car up, but they're cheap, they never fail on me, and they take up very little space in my garage when stored away. Yes, I have regular floor jacks but for jacking up a car, but for keeping it jacked up for an hour at a time, I prefer the bottle jacks.

ScottB
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush, (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html)

SATracker
03-19-2010, 10:08 PM
What floor jack have you guys found most reliable? Working on the car now, so much brake dust that the wheels need to come off. I might be able to get some off but it could look like crap. That's why I'm interested in a GOOD floor jack. He can bring it back and I'll be glad to do them for him as a freebie. He'll get great wheels and I'll get great experience.

Racin10s
03-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I just have a cheap Sears floor jack. Nothing special. I am not getting under the car, so I dont need too much.

bill walsh
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
walker 2 ton jack

Stittville Ed
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Just used my Harbor Freight floor jack to remove wheels clean/rotate.
It's the long frane about 4 foot long and is 120 pounds.
The cost is $138 plus tax.
Last Sunday's paper had a Harbor Freight ad that had a 20% off one item coupon and a free flash light coupon.
Had a 99 Pont. GP up on it for 2 weeks in December and it did not drop a inch.

Always use jack stands if your going under.