PDA

View Full Version : Educating Clients

Pages : [1] 2

DaVinciAutoSpa
03-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Educating clients is one of my biggest obstacles in this business.

Just recently I had a client who 'wanted the same thing' done to his minivan that his brother had done a few months ago.

Well, #1, my prices have gone up.

#2, I don't really offer that package anymore. I've made changes based on my time and what I think is fair.

I did an interior job for him, and threw in a complimentary wash as part of my package. He leaves the house to go run an errand.

The wife comes out as I finish up and asks if I buffed the minivan. I said no, your husband got the interior package on this vehicle, and that machine polishing wasn't included with that package. I could tell she wasn't pleased.

But to her, buffing may mean waxing. It's my job to explain the difference because the general public has no clue as to what's what.

Nor do they understand the time and energy assocaited with machine polishing a vehicle.

It's like they want the 'Cadillac service' at the 'Yugo price point'. Doesn't work.

Besides I had already discounted my price to match the previous brother's detail.

Of course, these are the clients that say they have 2-3 other vehicles for you to do, implying you better give them a good deal because they're giving you business.

It really makes you shake your head.

The folks who haggle on price are the same ones who are the biggest headaches.

And to top it off, 'oh could you take off those stickers?'

I really don't want to add $10 to the bill for taking off stickers, but you get to a point and your like screw it.

So, what have I learned?

To go over EXACTLY what I'm going to do BEFORE I start. Ask them if there's any questions they have. It's part of the learning curve, I guess.

Had to vent.

ScottB
03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
always put yourself on the clients side initially as to understand what they expect and for how much. Then verbally review it before starting work to assure both on same page.

Grizzly
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
There is always going to be the crowd that wants something for nothing.

DaVinciAutoSpa
03-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Killr, great idea. I will implement that today.

Grizzly, yup and those are the clients I fire. They can go to Quick Quack.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I would list everything on your service page in detail. Make sure to have a note extra charges apply for multiple sticker removal, etc. Also go over it with them before the detail. Just remember some people can ever be pleased.

Pureshine
02-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I explain everything I'm doing and my website list everything they get in that package for the price. If they don't want to pay my price they can go to high volume shop and get crappy work for cheap. If they pay for a complete interior cleaning I do wash the car for them.
Todd

Dr_Pain
02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
I found that people DO NOT read the detail page and the ones that do actually have no concept of time, products or necessity. I try to spend as much time with a new client describing the fine details of detailing and pull out my trusty iPhone to show them example and I do that not because I know they will remember or learn something valuable but to get them to trust me. In the end they end up "deferring" to my expertise and know that I will treat them right and won't overcharge them.

It is easy to list all the steps of a proper wash but a little harder to get them to trust you that all those steps are necessary. When they finally trust you (and see the result) they normally are happy to pull out the pocket book (and won't nickle and dime you).

If I can share one of my most effective business tool (which I am teaching my oldest son) "Do not make it about money". Once the customer trust you, they will still be anxious to see the result and in their excitement they will invariably blur out: "So what is the damage????". I taught my son to make it all about the vehicle and the customer. We do a thorough walk around and get them to "experience" the car all over again, getting them excited about it as if it was the first day. We stop everything, make them the priority of the moment and gawk over their car with them. We walk around forcing them to use all their senses.

Sight: We show before pictures and compare them with what they have in front of them. Show them the work you did and the work that will need to be done at some point (minor scratches and water spots)
Feel There is nothing more sexy than a baby butt smooth painted of a properly decontaminated and waxed hood. Make them understand the value of the cost of the decon by touching the paint
Smell Let them smell the pina colada smell of the wax you just applied, and open the doors for them so they can smell the "new car smell"

.... now you can't make them experience the hearing and taste but if you can, you need to capitalize on that. Actually I do (hearing) by properly calibrating and tuning their stereo (very subliminal)

Detailing is more than getting a clean car, it is an experience!!

They will pay for the experience (same as their pay for the experience and exorbitant prices of a high class steakhouse). So spend the time educating them (in details), stop everything when they come to pick their car up and make them the center of your attention, and take the time to make them "experience" their car all over again, and I guarantee you that they will open their pocket book and be glad to pay your fees.

How do you know if you did a good job? when you offer then a discount (new customer, multi vehicle, family and friend....) and they end up paying in full and giving you a tip!

I keep reading on this forum that newbs should charge lower prices and make their name and then they can charge regular or premium prices.... I kinda agree, but what does a veteran detailer has over a newb? 1) The knowledge to make it happen faster but if they have been in the business for a while they obviously have 2) the PASSION and can sell that passion.

Just sayin, carry on!

runrun411
02-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Whenever I need to hire labor I always say whatever is 'fair'.

It always seems like no matter how good of a price you give someone they will always haggle for a lower price. However less money isn't better. Here's why.

If I ask you to detail my car and you say you'll do it for let's say 125 bucks I may somehow convince you to do it for 100 but you won't be happy. This may mean you'll cut back on the quality of your work.

Just name your price. If they have a problem just walk away. In the long run they did you a favor.

FUNX650
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
I would list everything on your service page in detail. Make sure to have a note extra charges apply for multiple sticker removal, etc. Also go over it with them before the detail. Just remember some people can ever be pleased.

Better be careful scrace...

You, and a few other AGO members that dredge up these "old-threads"...
May well meet with the: "Wrath of ProDetail".

I did...and I have since: Barely recovered.

:D

Bob

Mike Phillips
02-22-2013, 04:27 PM
To go over EXACTLY what I'm going to do BEFORE I start. Ask them if there's any questions they have. It's part of the learning curve, I guess.

I've been created a brand new Vehicle Inspection Form with input from Renny Doyle and Joe Fernandez. It's almost completed.

One of the things I incorporated into the forum were some simple section that you go over with the customer that "educates" them as to what their options are and the various prices.

This form is very good at educating your customer.

After going over the forum the customer signs it and that way everyone is on the same page for,

The work that will be performed
The price.
A section to up-sell a coating
A section that asks for referrals
The services you recommended
The services they chose.

One of my driving reasons to create this form was for my own personal reasons as I, like you, tire of dealing with people that have know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl.

Both Renny and Joe really like my initial work and their additions will really put the frosting on the cake.

It should be finished next week...

:)

Mike Phillips
02-22-2013, 04:32 PM

And this is the first thing I teach in all my classes... START by evaluating the customer, not the car...

1. How to evaluate your customer and match the correct services to their needs.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1754/manbycar.jpg

215Detailing
02-22-2013, 04:57 PM
May want to add to your website/service price menu
I have this on my website but about to change service/pricing menu (thiswill remain on my website.
May help to place the word buffing in (Buffing) next to polishing/compound steps
What the Various Services Do

Washing
Washing removes harmful elements from your vehicle. It prolongs the life of
your paint along with regular waxing.

Waxing
Wax provides a barrier between your paint and outside contaminants
protecting it from damage. We use 100% carnauba wax which is better at
protecting against acidic conditions and repelling water. Its protection lasts
about 1-3 months depending on exposure to weather and driving conditions.

Tire Dressing
Tire dressing helps to protect the side walls of the tire from drying out and
cracking. It also gives them that “new tire” look again.

Shampooing
Shampooing removes interior contaminants from the soft surfaces that
vacuuming and wiping cannot get. It can remove imbedded dirt and oils that
can lead to odors and damage.

Vinyl Conditioning
Vinyl conditioner moisturizes and protects the vinyl surfaces from heat, UV
damage, and contaminants that can lead to cracking
Leather Conditioning
Leather conditioner acts the same way skin moisturizer does. It protects the
leather from drying out, cracking, or rotting. It also helps deter the leather
from absorbing damaging elements.

Clay Bar
Clay bar is a fine abrasive used to remove imperfections that lie on your paint’
s surface but cannot be removed by washing alone. These imperfections
include tree sap, bug splatter, bird droppings, environmental fall out, etc.

1-Step Polishing
Polish is also a fine abrasive but one that is designed to tackle imperfections
that lie slightly below the paint surface such as small swirls, scratches, and
webbing caused by every day wear and tear on your paint.

2-Step Polishing
Each consecutive step of polishing adds more shine and removes more
imperfections. It is important to note that polish will remove any wax on your
paint and so a fresh coat should be applied afterwards.

3-Step Polishing
By the third polish step the car should be looking as close to brand new paint
as possible with a nice high shine. Of course if your paint was already faded,
chipped, deeply scratched, and worn from years of neglect you won’t get
“new paint” results.

Compounding
Compounding removes a variety of imperfections such as swirls, oxidation,
lime stains, and can add life to very dull paint.

venu
03-10-2013, 06:02 AM
I've been created a brand new Vehicle Inspection Form with input from Renny Doyle and Joe Fernandez. It's almost completed.

One of the things I incorporated into the forum were some simple section that you go over with the customer that "educates" them as to what their options are and the various prices.

This form is very good at educating your customer.

After going over the forum the customer signs it and that way everyone is on the same page for,

The work that will be performed
The price.
A section to up-sell a coating
A section that asks for referrals
The services you recommended
The services they chose.

One of my driving reasons to create this form was for my own personal reasons as I, like you, tire of dealing with people that have know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl.

Both Renny and Joe really like my initial work and their additions will really put the frosting on the cake.

It should be finished next week...

:)

Hey Mike, Could you please provide me the link for your 'vehicle inspection form'
I am sorry, I tried searching the forum before writing this.

Thanks in Advance,
Venu

Pureshine
03-10-2013, 12:43 PM
I have been giving mine to everyone the last couple days and Meticulous Detail he redid the one I gave him and did a great job on it.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
03-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Better be careful scrace...

You, and a few other AGO members that dredge up these "old-threads"...
May well meet with the: "Wrath of ProDetail".

I did...and I have since: Barely recovered.

Bob

Just because its old doesn't mean it the value is gone. I didn't realize it was years old, but when people search the more info the better.