PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

ZmZoom6
10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
It' about that time to prepare the car for winter. I have a list of products on hand and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a good winter combo:

PB ExP
PB Natty's Blue
Clearkote VMG
S100

(possibly getting some collinite...anyone try any of their products recently and have any feedback?)

supercharged
10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I have not used any Collinite products yet. What you have out there sounds good, 2x of EX-P(12 hours apart), then VMG, and Natty's Blue. S100 is not good for winter protection.

Here is my plan of attack:
Strip everything down, and polish some little swirls with Poorboy's SSR 1 or XMT1 (haven't decided yet with which polish I will work). Rewash. Maybe Klasse AIO.
Then apply 2x of Klasse SG (12-24 hours apart). Then top it with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (probably 2 coats). I will most likely do half of hood or trunk lid with Meguiar's #16, just to compare durability.

Planning to do all this next week.

ZmZoom6
10-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the input...i'll most likely use ExP and NB. However, I'm also looking for a durable wax so I might try some collinite

Grimm
10-19-2006, 07:10 AM
I just recently started getting into real detailing, so I can't give any experience. But I just finished up winterizing mine. I went with a coat of EX-P and then two coats of Collinite 845. The 845 was very easy to use, and came of extremely easy.

BILL
10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
I have not used any Collinite products yet. What you have out there sounds good, 2x of EX-P(12 hours apart), then VMG, and Natty's Blue. S100 is not good for winter protection.

Strip everything down, and polish some little swirls with Poorboy's SSR 1 or XMT1 (haven't decided yet with which polish I will work). Rewash. Maybe Klasse AIO.
Then apply 2x of Klasse SG (12-24 hours apart). Then top it with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (probably 2 coats). I will most likely do half of hood or trunk lid with Meguiar's #16, just to compare durability.

Thats a good plan and mine as well, only difference is i'll use the wolfgang sealer.........;)

Al-53
10-19-2006, 08:05 AM

I would use the VMG first then the EX-P....the VM has a cleaner and will comprimise the EX-P...then do the natty's blue....but the Collinite will offer better protection during the winter..

AL

Surfer
10-19-2006, 09:24 AM
EX-P and Natty's Blue combo looks excellent and is pretty durable, I was suprised. But for winterizing, do a sealant and then Collinite, and you'll have a bullet proof combo that still looks great. Personally I think the paste versions like 915 are easier to use, look better, and more durable then 845. In South FL 845 will act kinda "gummy" I guess you could say and really attract dirt/dust moreso then other waxes.

But for winter, you cannot beat a sealant and Collinite.

ashsarna
10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
EX-P and Natty's Blue combo looks excellent and is pretty durable, I was suprised. But for winterizing, do a sealant and then Collinite, and you'll have a bullet proof combo that still looks great. Personally I think the paste versions like 915 are easier to use, look better, and more durable then 845. In South FL 845 will act kinda "gummy" I guess you could say and really attract dirt/dust moreso then other waxes.

But for winter, you cannot beat a sealant and Collinite.

Hi all, first post here. I would agree. With what you have to work with, I would focus on durability. Put EXPx2 then top with collonite. This will look great (repels dirt ect, but should get more aknowlegdment for it looks - pretty darn good). Note 475 should be the same as 915 if I am not mistaken. Now, if you plan on rewaxing a few times over the winter (like me when possible), you could replace collonite with NB.

ashsarna
10-19-2006, 10:00 AM

As Bill said, good plan. But, in the past several winters when I had AIO/SG/souveran, the souveran did not last as long as l like (needed to reapply quite often especially if washing/removing show ect). But if you get good days over the winter then it sould be ok (especially with the twins as your base coat).

MattF
10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
I am winterizing now. I have never used sealers until I visited this site a few months ago. I have two coats of Wolfgang on now, and it looks great. I did this a few weeks ago in warm weather. I use Collinite Insulator (845) for a long time now, but have never waited this long to put on for the winter. Someone once told me that 845 will not "set up" under 65 degrees. I can't figure out why not. I assume that if I leave it on a bit longer, it will start to dry out. I know that it won't hurt, but am I spinning my wheels trying to wax in the colder weather? (Tops out around 50 degrees or a touch higher each day - Connecticut)

Thanks in advance, this is a great site.