PDA

View Full Version : Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System

Pages : [1] 2 3

2011wahoo
03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Has anyone used this 3 step system and if you have could you provide some feedback as to its effectiveness.
Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-paint-cleaning-system.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Subscribing. Can you use this in place of a clay bar on any paint, or should it only be used on paint that's in poor condition?

2011wahoo
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
What I've gathered is that clay removes the above surface contaminants but if the contaminants have embedded themselves into the paint, then you are only removing what is above the surface and not getting to the core of the problem and thus it will continue to come back. This system supposedly removes the whole contaminant, what is above and below the surface, and prevents further contamination with the use of a quality sealant. I would like to get some feedback from those who have used this system.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
What I've gathered is that clay removes the above surface contaminants but if the contaminants have embedded themselves into the paint, then you are only removing what is above the surface and not getting to the core of the problem and thus it will continue to come back. This system supposedly removes the whole contaminant, what is above and below the surface, and prevents further contamination with the use of a quality sealant. I would like to get some feedback from those who have used this system.
Wow, that sounds really great! Can't wait to hear some feedback. :xyxthumbs:

DLB
03-17-2010, 02:40 PM
It looks like David Saunders has had some practice with it...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20806-finsih-kare-decontamination-system.html

DLB

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
It looks like David Saunders has had some practice with it...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/20806-finsih-kare-decontamination-system.html

DLB
So basically, nothing can replace claying?

Matt S.
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
So basically, nothing can replace claying?

I wouldn't pick one or the other. Claying is always a staple regardless. If you have a rust issue from industrial fallout or what have you, then the FK1 system works well, but I still recommend claying as well.

RaskyR1
03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
I talked to a few guys that have used the decon kits and they swear by them. I spent 6hrs last fall claying the rail dust off a white C6 so if it were to save me some time I'd try it. ;)

I'll admit I'm skeptical that something can be safe for the paint yet strong enough to dissolve iron particles...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
so if it were to save me some time I'd try it. ;).
Exactly the way I feel.

RaskyR1
03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Exactly the way I feel.

I offered to use it on the C6 but the customer didn't like the idea of it and was worried about the paint

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I offered to use it on the C6 but the customer didn't like the idea of it and was worried about the paint
For FK to say it's OEM approved, they better sure as heck be able to back that up!

2011wahoo
03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
It seems that not many people on the forums have used this system for what it is supposed to be used for, removing rail dust and other contaminants that can corrode in your paint. Maybe Mike can find a white car with such problems and try it out in the AG Show Car Garage and construct one of his awesome write ups. :poke:

dragster
03-17-2010, 08:31 PM
I have used another companys, and I have no issues at all. Its really good at deep cleaning the paint.

Tom Weed
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Well, I washed my black car outside yesterday, it was breezy and mid 60's here and sunny. I would normally wash it in the shade but the yard is still to soft to pull the car into it so I thought I would be okay since I have a CR Spotless filter system. Well, it was drying really fast and either the water hadn't changed over from the house water in the hose or my filters need changed, but I I have some light spotting all over the car. I ordered the Decontamination kit earlier this week and it's supposed to be here on Friday, so I will give it a wash over the weekend and post my conclusions. I will see if I can get some pics as well.

Tom

JonMiles
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Heads up everyone thinking about this system, I had it backfire on some single stage red paint. The paint color lightened a little bit and kind of has a pink tint to it. I know that the red pigment in paint is made from an iron complex but I don't know if that is why i had a problem. It could have been a fluke, but its definitely something to be careful of. It worked amazingly well on a black mercedes I worked on. I did the usual wash and clay then did the whole system and it seemed to make the paint a little deeper and polishing seemed a little easier.