PDA

View Full Version : Water Tank/Pump Set Up?

Pages : [1] 2

DaVinciAutoSpa
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't seem to get this water tank set up figured out. I tried to run my pressure washer off the tank and nothing. I tried elevating the tank to see if gravity helped,....nothing.

I've read the previous posts and am not wanting to rig up a stationary pump system.

I use my SUV for ball practice for my boys, (loading a lot of gear), and I would like to be able to put in/remove the tank as needed.

Would it be possible to just secure the pump to a board and then connect it to the tank when needed? That way the pump is secure to the board, and when it's hooked to the tank, but when I need to take everything out, it can disconnect and be removed.

Most of my clients prefer to have their vehicles detailed at their home. So water wasn't an issue. With my business increasing, I'm hitting the office complexes and need to be entirely mobile.

I appreciate all feedback, and thank you for your time.:props:

Shawn

dragster
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
You need a 12 volt pump that goes from the tank to the pressure washer. All you have to do is turn on the pump then start the pressure washer. Here is the model I use Shur-Dri SD-107. Picked it up a tractor supply for $80. I just changed the end to plug into my 12 volt port in the back of my Excursion.
Hope this helps Jim

dragster
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I also use a 65 gallon tank that is strapped to a skid the I cut to fit the tank. The whole thing is then strapped to the rear third row seat brackets. Much like you I have to remove the tank to go racing. I made a cargo carrier to put the pressure washer & generator on. Plus a hose reel & no gas smell in the truck. I will try to post pics towmorrow.
Hopes this helps Jim

Executive Detail
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't seem to get this water tank set up figured out. I tried to run my pressure washer off the tank and nothing. I tried elevating the tank to see if gravity helped,....nothing.

I've read the previous posts and am not wanting to rig up a stationary pump system.

I use my SUV for ball practice for my boys, (loading a lot of gear), and I would like to be able to put in/remove the tank as needed.

Would it be possible to just secure the pump to a board and then connect it to the tank when needed? That way the pump is secure to the board, and when it's hooked to the tank, but when I need to take everything out, it can disconnect and be removed.

Most of my clients prefer to have their vehicles detailed at their home. So water wasn't an issue. With my business increasing, I'm hitting the office complexes and need to be entirely mobile.

I appreciate all feedback, and thank you for your time.:props:

Shawn

I've never had an issue with gravity feeding my pressure washer(s).

What brand/size is your p/w? Do you know what brand of pump your p/w has on it already?

DaVinciAutoSpa
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My bro in law is helping me set it up Saturday. I bought a 12v pump and am getting a generator Saturday.

I'm going to have the gen running outside of my suv. So gas fumes wont be an issue.

My pressure washer is a Karcher 1550.

Dragster, what adapter did u get for the pump, and does ur truck have to be runnning when you use the pump?

Thanks.

Showroom Shine
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Go to harbor freight and buy their utility pump for around $26. It pumps 4 gpm. It uses a 12 volt dc power(car battery)
save yourself some cash.i know you want to remove it at times. But once you put water in it,you'll have to drain it to move it. 1 gallon of water weighs 8.34lbs. Do the math for say 70 gallons. Search post for mobile set ups, or pm me!

dragster
03-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I use garden hose adapters with quick release. Put on on / off valve at the tank just to be safe. I have not had a problem without the truck running. But I have killed the battery with the barn doors open.
This year I am installing another battery.

feslope
03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I've never had an issue with gravity feeding my pressure washer(s).

What brand/size is your p/w? Do you know what brand of pump your p/w has on it already?While I don't know the mechanics of pressure washer pumps I have noticed that some PWs advertise ability to draw water from a bucket or tank, most don't. In any event, be careful not to run the pump dry.

DaVinciAutoSpa
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
This has been a struggle.

1. The Harbor Freight 12v pump has battery terminal clamps, a POS and a NEG. So I got an adapter that will plug into my 12v outlet in my truck. Well, it blew the 10amp fuse FAST. IT WAS HOT. Ok, dont want to fry my truck's electrical system, so have to go another route.

2. Purchased a gas powered PW, (sold the electric Karcher), and attempted to draw water from the tank using ONLY the PW. Didn't work. (The tank sits in the back of my truck, elevated, and the PW sits on the ground. Ran a short 6' hose from tank to PW. Nothing. So much for gravity.

3. Purchased a new generator with a 12v DC oultet where I can attach the stupid battery terminals to. Well, of course, the water pump fried that 10 amp fuse within seconds, that's on the generator.

4. Went to Harbor Freight AGAIN to possibly buy the larger electric pump that I could just plug into the generator. I open the box, and look at the pump, wait, where's the plug? apparently YOU have to wire it yourself. I'm a detailer, not an electrician.

Is this common to make these things without a plug attached? Who does that? Oh right, the Chinese.

I'm heading to Radio Shack now per Dragster's instructions. Thank you dragster. If anyone has any helpful tips, or not so helpful tips, please don't hesitate to share them with me.

Admittedly I'm not mechanically inclined. But this is driving me absolutely crazy. Sorry for the rant.

Brennan Beasley
04-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Sounds to me the 10 amp is probably burning out when the pump first comes on or very shortly after??

The pump as I see from harbor freight if correct, has a 7.5 amp startup which is probably blowing the fuse. Then kicks to a stable 5 amp. Try a 15 amp fuse.

7.5 amps and 50 watts should not blow a 15 amp fuse in your generator. Unless there is a short. But might just get to hot for a ten.

DaVinciAutoSpa
04-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Got it finished. It works!

dragster
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Glad it worked out for you. Good luck.

Brennan Beasley
04-27-2010, 07:56 PM
What did you do different?

DaVinciAutoSpa
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Bought an electric pump that runs off my generator. Only problem is to get any water pressure, I have to use the pressure washer. The problem w/ that is I only have a 50 gal. tank and it sucks it down fast.

2-3 cars per tank. Not fun when I have 6 cars to do.

S2K
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Sounds to me the 10 amp is probably burning out when the pump first comes on or very shortly after??

The pump as I see from harbor freight if correct, has a 7.5 amp startup which is probably blowing the fuse. Then kicks to a stable 5 amp. Try a 15 amp fuse.

7.5 amps and 50 watts should not blow a 15 amp fuse in your generator. Unless there is a short. But might just get to hot for a ten.

When you replace fuses with higher rated fuses on circuits designed for lower rated fuses you take the chance of a wire getting hot, melting and causing a fire. Circuits are rated for a certain size fuse for a reason, so the fuse will blow and not the wiring.