PDA

View Full Version : Boat Polishing Question

fulltime
03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Mike,

I have a quick question. I have a 2002 boat and the gel coat is in good condition, no oxidation. My question is can I just use something like 3M finesse it with a high speed buffer with a polishing pad and then a good coat of colinite 885 put on and taken off by hand to make it shine like new or will I have to compound, finesse it and then wax? I dont want to compound if I dont have to.

Thanks Scott

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Mike,

Hi Scott,

Since this is your first post to our forum,

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

I have a quick question. I have a 2002 boat and the gel coat is in good condition, no oxidation.

My question is can I just use something like 3M finesse it with a high speed buffer with a polishing pad and then a good coat of Collinite 885 put on and taken off by hand to make it shine like new or will I have to compound, finesse it and then wax?

I don't want to compound if I don't have to.

Thanks Scott

Which specific 3M Finess-it product are you referring to? Do you have a part number? Also which polishing pad and buffer. Creating a 100% Swirl-Free finish can be done using a rotary buffer but there is some technique to it...

If the gel-coat doesn't have any visible oxidation then you don't have to compound it and shouldn't compound it but rotary buffers can instill swirls so maybe consider using a different tool?

Of course if the gel-coat surface is white, if there are swirls it they will be hard to see after you wax.

Check out this Van with rotary buffer swirls, it's white but you can still see the trails left by some hack detailer. You don't want the side of your boat to look like this...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/HologramsInVan01.jpg

:)

fulltime
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome!

Here are the products I am thinking about using. 3M Finesse-it 2 Glaze with a 3M double sided polishing pad part # 3m-05705. Followed by a coat or two of Colinite 885 by hand.

The buffer is a harbor fright variable speed buffer. I have experience with rotarys and have compounded the boat before with it.

I am just trying to get the gel coat to shine up with out going through the 3 step process of compounding, polishing and waxing.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome!

Here are the products I am thinking about using. 3M Finesse-it 2 Glaze with a 3M double sided polishing pad part # 3m-05705. Followed by a coat or two of Colinite 885 by hand.

The buffer is a harbor fright variable speed buffer. I have experience with rotarys and have compounded the boat before with it.

I am just trying to get the gel coat to shine up with out going through the 3 step process of compounding, polishing and waxing.

Sorry for the late reply, as Detail Fest (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/22900-official-detail-fest-2010-information-thread.html) approaches, everyone here including myself have a lot of behind the scenes tasks like creating threads like this...

Austin Weiss of Streamline Designs at Detail Fest 2010 (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/24196-austin-weiss-streamline-designs-detail-fest-2010-a.html)

Hang tight.... I'll get back to you...

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome!

Here are the products I am thinking about using. 3M Finesse-it 2 Glaze with a 3M double sided polishing pad part # 3m-05705. Followed by a coat or two of Collinite 885 by hand.

Just to double check, this product?

3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-marine-glaze.html)

3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze removes light imperfections and imparts a high gloss, wet look to fiberglass finishes. Make your boat or RV shine! After compounding or anytime the gel-coat needs a boost in gloss, 3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze is the right choice.

3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze is designed to remove minor scratches and light oxidation on fiberglass and painted boats. The wax-free, silicone-free formula enhances the shine by actually correcting the surface. The smooth, glossy finish is the result of professional-grade polishing and correction.

3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze can be used on newer boats and fiberglass surfaces that have only minor scratches and mild oxidation, or it can be used as a follow-up step to 3M Marine Super Duty Rubbing Compound. 3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze will act as a finishing polish to remove light compounding swirls and restore an amazing gloss.

3M Superbuff Polishing Pad - 05705
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/3M05705.jpg

Double sided, soft edge polishing pad designed for use with a polisher and glaze. Superbuff™ polishing pad is made with extremely fine fibers to produce a high gloss on paint surfaces. Pad has its own built in, lightweight support system.

fulltime
03-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes Mike that is what I want to use. Or do you think there is something else I should use?

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the welcome!

Here are the products I am thinking about using. 3M Finesse-it 2 Glaze with a 3M double sided polishing pad part # 3m-05705. Followed by a coat or two of Collinite 885 by hand.

Check out the products/links and pictures in my follow-up reply.

The fibers of this wool pad combined with the polishing agents in the 3M Finesse-It Glaze should provide enough cutting and cleaning power to easily remove light oxidation and staining and leave a really high gloss surface.

There still may be rotary buffer swirls or buffer trails or holograms, (whatever you want to call them), in the gel-coat and the Collinite wax may or may not fill them in.

Everyone's different.

In the car world car "enthusiasts" want a swirl free finish. They are also working on much smaller items and often times parking them in garages.

In the boat world, due to the size and common problem of oxidation, which is best removed using a rotary buffer, speed, effectiveness and TIME are more important than a finish worthy of a show car, especially since the work has to be repeated on a regular basis for ANY boat always in the water or stored outside.

I owned a National Title Holding Sanger Drag Boat for 20 years and I kept a show car finish on it 100% of the time.

1970 Super Sanger Flat Bottom Drag Boat - V-Drive
National Title Holder - 1976 Super Modified Class 1/4 Mile in 9 seconds at 122 mph.
Owner/Driver: Rick Baker
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/270SangerDragBoat.jpg

If I owned a boat like yours I wouldn't be as concerned about maintaining a show car finish as I would be concerned about maintaining the finish like you're proposing.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes Mike that is what I want to use. Or do you think there is something else I should use?

I think your approach will work fine, see my comments above.

If you're using an electric buffer around water make sure you plug into a GFI outlet.

Safety first!

:dblthumb2:

fulltime
03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks Mike,

No the boat is on a trailer and it has a full cover. Just want it to look good as long as possible. I will try the 3M products and post some before and after pictures.

Mike Phillips
03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks Mike,

No the boat is on a trailer and it has a full cover. Just want it to look good as long as possible. I will try the 3M products and post some before and after pictures.

Cool.

I work a lot with pictures on the Internet, actually have a little collection of helpful articles...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles-discussion-forums/21320-how-work-pictures-discussion-forums.html)

dmxsoulja3
03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Any tips on how to clean the white deck of a boat of the white powdery residue that I'm assuming is oxidation? Boat is 32ft long and center console so alot of real estate. I was hoping there was something I could do without waxing the floor LOL essentially if you sit, stand, rub against the white surfaces on the deck or even the floor when its dry you have a nice white dust on you, getting annoying.