PDA

View Full Version : Is the Dewalt 443 ok?

Pages : [1] 2

AfireINSIDE
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
I know this is probly the wrong fourm, But in high school I worked as a new car prep guy. I bought a re-firb 443 from the tool guy one day for like $50.00 and have never touced it untill I got on here and decided that I wanted to start detailing. Now is this a good unit, I really dont have the cash right not to get a PC but will when this dies. Also any idea on its backing plate and where to get one? mine rotted off lol. Thanks

BILL
10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I know this is probly the wrong fourm, But in high school I worked as a new car prep guy. I bought a re-firb 443 from the tool guy one day for like $50.00 and have never touced it untill I got on here and decided that I wanted to start detailing. Now is this a good unit, I really dont have the cash right not to get a PC but will when this dies. Also any idea on its backing plate and where to get one? mine rotted off lol. Thanks

AS LONG AS YOUR SPINDLE IS 5/8 YOU CAN GET THE PLATE ETC HERE AT A.G.

http://www.autogeek.net/circular-polishers.html

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=autogeek&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autogeek.net%2Fnsearch. html&query=RANDOM+ORBITOR+BACKING+PLATES&x=5&y=13

ScottB
10-18-2006, 06:18 PM
make sure it is a random orbital and not a circular, good to go !

AfireINSIDE
10-18-2006, 06:35 PM
yes it is a random orbital, the unit dosent have a spindle it has the dewalt 4 torx screw that hold the plate on, unlike the PC.

Grimm
10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Should be a good unit from what I've read over on Autopia. I think this unit cannot use the usual backing plates, but the one it has is fine for the 6-7.5" pads. It actually has a little more power than the PC, so it may be better. I thought about getting one, but they were a fair amount more expensive than the PC.

3Dog
10-18-2006, 09:34 PM
DW443 is an excellent unit. You are stuck with the one backing plate but the more powerful motor and higher speed more than makes up for it. Our PC's are delegated to the 2 7/8 and 4 in backing plates. The 443 is the go to machine.

ashsarna
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
DW443 is an excellent unit. You are stuck with the one backing plate but the more powerful motor and higher speed more than makes up for it. Our PC's are delegated to the 2 7/8 and 4 in backing plates. The 443 is the go to machine.

Good to see you here 3Dog,
I totally agree. It is more powerful so allows you to get a bit more without having to look for a rotary/and fewer passes. It is a DA polisher so its safe like the pc. It is also less prone to being bogged down like the pc since the stronger motor. But it does not have changable BP so you must stick with the 6" BP that it does have (most common one I think) and that meens you can get pads from AG as mentioned here.

AfireINSIDE
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks all, I am going to contact dewalt and get a new plate. The larger pads dont bother me thats what I used to use anyhow.

BuckeyeR/T
10-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey all, I have the 443 too and love it! Is their a place that compares each speed setting to the PC unit? For eg. if someone says put your PC on speed 5 that would be what speed for my Dewalt?

BILL
10-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Hey all, I have the 443 too and love it! Is their a place that compares each speed setting to the PC unit? For eg. if someone says put your PC on speed 5 that would be what speed for my Dewalt?

I'D SAY YES........5 FOR 5000 OPM'S...if your 443 has a #5 speed......

3Dog
10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Speed 5 on a PC would be about 4 on the DW. The should be a speed chart with the unit.

sohail99
09-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I too got a DW443 ROP!

Can you tell at how much pressure the pad stops rotating!?

I tried it with a 8" pad(for trial purposes) and it stops fairly quickly!
Any modifications to be done to increase speed?

Kevin Brown
09-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Good machine. :props:

A recent thread about this topic:

DA rotating speed - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45140)

sohail99
09-10-2010, 01:58 AM
OMG! I love your KB method!
It has worked really well for me on a rotary! :D

btw here's a thread I posted regarding the DW443 - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28620-bought-dewalt-dual-action-sander-polisher-help.html

Have you used this unit?
Does the backing plate rotate as freely as in a PC?
any tips/precautions etc.while using it?
Feed back please

btw I read your articles and posts on MOL and they were like super informative.
Thanks a lot!:dblthumb2:

Kevin Brown
09-10-2010, 02:23 AM
Oh, cool. You're on the ball!

Just outfit the machine with thin pads that aren't super-cushiony. The backing plate motion will more accurately transfer through a thin, somewhat stiff pad. "Stiff" does't necessarily mean the pad will scour... the foam used to make the Meg's burgundy pad is a great example of what I mean.

"Oiling" stuff inside the machine isn't going to do much good, since the machine uses two stacked, high-quality SEALED bearings to support the free rotating shaft.

Backing plates spin easier if the bearings are looser. In other words, if you flick the backing plate by hand on two identical machines, but one spins less than the other using the same force, the one that rotated more by hand will rotate more under full throttle.

The DW443 features a smaller stroke than the G110v2, the newer Griot's machine, and the Porter Cable 7424XP. Therefore, it will not generate or cause the same amount of random rotation that these three machines will, all other things being equal (pressure, pad, product, paint, etc.)

Just use the machine wisely, and enjoy the results.

It's not always the biggest "gun" that wins the duel- a good "aim" is just as effective.
Get my drift? Technique makes a big difference.