PDA

View Full Version : Tape Question

jimmers
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I have always "babied" my cars and have taken good care of them always waxing/sealing by hand. However, I have recently decided to make the jump and purchase a Flex 3401. While I'm a little nervous about using it for the first time, I'm also excited to see an improved finished product by using it, not to mention the speed it will provide in completing the job faster.

I do have a question on taping your vehicle off. Is the tape just regular painter's tape that you can buy in Home Depot or the hardware department at Wal-mart, etc? Or is it a special brand of automotive tape?

I wanted to buy some from AG but it was out of stock and I didn't feel like waiting for it.

Thanks in advance for your input :) I've already learned so much from here.

08krewkab
03-16-2010, 01:20 PM
use the gray tape at home depot...... the thick one .........lol......j/k.
yeah just use regular painters tape or even the green one that is more delicate

jimmers
03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
LOL! Are you trying to get me to use duct tape? :-p What a mess that would be!

CEE DOG
03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
use the gray tape at home depot...... the thick one

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

:nomore::nomore::nomore:

jmp09fg2
03-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I find that if you use low residue tape, there is a lot less clean up after. Try looking around though, you don't have to get 3M or Scotch. We have a place here that is a kind of outlet store for everything from clothes to car parts that has their own brand of painters tape at a MUCH cheaper price.

jimmers
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I ended up getting the Scotch blue "delicate surface" painter's tape at Home Depot to get me started since that was all they had. I'll be on the look out for cheaper brands as I get into it more.

Thanks for the advice

5.4 Shelby
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
My local Walmart sells the 3M green automotive tape that is sold on AG. It was in with the polishes and waxes. Price was good.