PDA

View Full Version : Preparing my personal DYI Detailing Kit - Critiques Welcome!

The Heretic
03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
After several months of trolling it's finally time to get serious about doing something I have loved doing my whole life (cleaning cars). My goal for this kit is to stay on top of maintaning the two cars that we have. Neither are dark colors and I probably will never own a black car so products for that specific color care are not necessary. Regular, biweekly washes with shine enhancement would be nice and every 6 months a serious multi-step paint improval process (wash, clay, wash, scratch removal, polish, wax,etc).

Here are the products I think might fit well.

Wheels
· OXO Tire & Wheel Brush
· Sonus Rim Bright – Wheel Cleaner
· Swissvax Wheel Wax

Engine
· Autoglym Engine & Machine Degreaser
· Sonus Trim & Motor Kote
· Rubber & Vinyl Protectant

Glass
· Autoglym Glass Polish

Polisher
· Porter Cable Orbital 7424
· Sonus SFX-2 Paint Polishing Pads

Polishing Paste
· Menzerna Nano Polish POI06FF (More Abrasive)
· Menzerna PO85RD (Less Abrasive)

Pre-Wax Cleaner
· Swissvax Cleaner Fluid

Paint Maintenance
· Zaino Z-AIO (In between full waxes)

Final Wax
· Zymol Glasur (Hand Applied)

What am I missing? Any recommendations for products that would replace any of these? Possibly more budget friendly. :) Total newbie and any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Ryan

maddenbowler
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
for the pre wax cleaner you can just use isoprophyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water. and I would look into polishes again. the nano you have listed as more abrasive is more used as a finishing polish than a swirl remover

rwright
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
After several months of trolling it's finally time to get serious about doing something I have loved doing my whole life (cleaning cars). My goal for this kit is to stay on top of maintaning the two cars that we have. Neither are dark colors and I probably will never own a black car so products for that specific color care are not necessary. Regular, biweekly washes with shine enhancement would be nice and every 6 months a serious multi-step paint improval process (wash, clay, wash, scratch removal, polish, wax,etc).

Here are the products I think might fit well.

Wheels
· Daytona Speed Master
· P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner or DP Gel Wheel Cleaner
· DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant

Engine
· Amazing Roll Off
· Meguiar's Detailer Accent Dressing
· 303 Aerospace Protectant

Glass
· Stoner's

Polisher
· Porter Cable Orbital 7424 XP
· CCS 5.5" pads, Hydro-tech 5.5" pads, Meg's 5.5" pads, or Surbuf Pads

Polish
· Menzerna PO85RD (Less Abrasive) or
· Meguiar's M105/M205 and Menzerna PO85RD

Pre-Wax Cleaner
· Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (or Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay)

Paint Maintenance
· FK #425

Sealant
· Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant 3.0 or Menzerna Power Lock

Final Wax
· Wolfgang Fuzion, Pinnacle Souveran, or Pinnacle Signature Series II

What am I missing? Any recommendations for products that would replace any of these? Possibly more budget friendly. :) Total newbie and any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Ryan

How about that? :D

The Heretic
03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you very much for the quick replies. So for the polishes...

Polish
· Menzerna PO85RD (Less Abrasive) or
· Meguiar's M105/M205 and Menzerna PO85RD

...which one would be used most of the time (minor scratch removal) and is one of the more appropriate for the final fine polish?

Lasthope05
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I dont see the need for Swissvax Autobahn or any type of specific wheel wax. You could use a nice paint sealant instead.

How do you intend to use Z-AIO for paint maintenance? Z-AIO will strip your existing LSP's. A true maintenance product to extend your base LSP would be a spray wax/sealant. Duragloss Aquawax and Optimum Car Wax are two very good products in this category.

rwright
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
M105 is a compound, M205 is a finishing polish, and from what I have gathered here PO85RD is used to elevate the gloss even more. I believe for basic scratch removal you should use M205 (Ultimate Compound - consumer grade). I am certain that someone will chime in and correct me if needed. I based my list off of the most commonly used products on the forum.