PDA

View Full Version : 3M products?

sparkie
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I just look at 3M Automotive Appearance Products leading through innovation for over 100 years! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mautapprod.html) and was wondering who has used any of their products. I've used the headlight system and love it. I have the show car paste wax, but I have not used as of yet. Tell me the products ya'll have used and likes and dislikes...

Shane731
03-14-2010, 08:50 PM
I've used 3M Performance Finish, Cleaner Wax, Quick Wax, Car Wash, and Adhesive Remover. Really wasn't that impressed to be honest. With the exception of the adhesive remover, for each of their products I've used I can think of a Meguiar's product that worked better and cost less. Kind of like my experience with the few Mother's products I've used - nice products, but there's definitely better out there. Just my two cents.

LincolnZephyr2006
03-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I have only used their polishes. I like 3M extra cut and 3M ultrafine... but that is about it. Oh, and I have their backing plate to my rotary thanks to Dana for rec. me it!

EDIT- And I have used their compounding, polishing, and finesse pads. All get the job done

termigator
03-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I've used the Show Car paste wax, Imperial Hand Glaze, Swirl Remover, Medium Cut and Fine Cut compound. The Show Car paste wax was nice. It was pretty slick and gave good depth and shine to my red Prelude VTEC. The Hand Glaze worked well at covering up light swirls, but was hard to remove. It did work well by hand. The Swirl Remover worked really well with my DA and left a nice swirl free finish. I wouldn't mind using it again. The Medium and Fine Cut rubbing compounds worked well, but (IMO) they're basically obsolete compared to the new stuff you can get now (e.g. Menzerna polishes & M105/205)

detaildave
03-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I own & have used the following 3M products:
-Super Cut Compound, for extreme heavy cut (thick as peanut butter)
-Extra-Cut Compound
^^^Both cut heavier / better than M105

-Machine Polish (regular grade - it's OK, not my go to)
-Ultra-fina Machine Polish (EXCELLENT) use it on all paint correction jobs!!!

Glazes & Waxes I have used, but not impressed. They collect dust on the shelf.

I love their pads, Wool "Superbuff", White, Blue & Black foam finishing pad's.

Trizac 3000 grit sanding disc / Excellent

Sandpaper 1000, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2000, & 2500 grit / OK / Megs w/nikken backing much better for uniform cut

This is just MHO.