PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

sparkie
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I had a few people PM me about how I clean engines. Here it is real simple. This is how I do it, and I'm not saying this is the right way, just the way I do it. If you have a different way post it, I'm always into to learning new tricks....
Have your tools ready.
Brush, powder-puff, APC, soapy water, small sponge, tooth brush and pressure washer with the wide tip.
Spray your engine down with your favorite APC. Use your brushes and soapy water as needed.
Start engine.
Be sure you keep the pressure washer tip about 2-5 feet back. You don't want to screw up any electronics components.
After rinsing everything off, leave the engine running and blow it down with a leaf blower.
When dried cut engine off. Spray your engine down with your favorite silicone spray.
Have fun...Im the MAN

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/engine001.jpg

Before
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/engine002.jpg

after
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/sparkymm6/engine003.jpg

nitro78
03-14-2010, 10:07 PM
well said. most people are just intimidated by it because they have never done it. familiarity breeds confidence.

C. Charles Hahn
03-14-2010, 10:31 PM
well said. most people are just intimidated by it because they have never done it. familiarity breeds confidence.

Very very true. I've cleaned up and detailed engines on everything from $1500 beaters to $50,000+ luxury and sport automobiles, and by now there's very little that scares me away from doing it.

That's not to say I'm not more nervous with some vehicles than others, but once you learn what to stay away from as much as possible with water on a given engine, it's no big deal.

I also have a tendency to remove any plastic engine covers and the like in order to facilitate more thorough cleaning and dressing without worry of what is around or under them.

akimel
03-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the write-up! Your engine bay looks terrific. :xyxthumbs:

Karl Schultz recently shared his engine detailing method over at the S2K forum. I found his article particularly helpful: S2KI - S2000 Forums -> Karl's take on engine bay detailing (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=768405).

rohnramirez
03-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Thank you, very informative! Do you rinse it while the engine is on? doesn't it die cause you've covered the intake?

You don't use a degreaser, just the APC? What's a silicone spray? Sorry about bombarding you with so many questions. I just wanna learn other people's techniques too.

2003 GMC Denali
03-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Do you also worry about Belt-slippage, because the Silicone-Spray gets on to the Belt-pulleys?

Or is this a non-issue?

detaildave
03-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Nice work!!!

TroyScherer
03-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Sparkie,
I have open intake like the K&N in your pic. I know I need to cover th intake up but do you cover or wrap anyhting else like the alternator or spark plug wells? The engine bay is the one area I have yet to tackle with a pressure washer or hose. I have always done parts by hand but never got it to look nearly as nice.

C. Charles Hahn
03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Do you also worry about Belt-slippage, because the Silicone-Spray gets on to the Belt-pulleys?

Or is this a non-issue?

I don't know about anyone else but I just keep a can of belt dressing around and give the belts a shot of it with the engine running after I'm done, and before I put the dressing on the rest of the engine.

I usually use CD2 Engine Detailer spray as the dressing.... which is supposed to be pretty much safe regardless.

Also keep in mind that APC is safer than degreaser -- a lot of degreasers can etch paint and even damage some types of metal. I'd stay away from degreasers unless APC won't cut through the crud on something specific you're working with.

Jossy92
03-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Beautiful!

sparkie
03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
:iagree:

Very very true. I've cleaned up and detailed engines on everything from $1500 beaters to $50,000+ luxury and sport automobiles, and by now there's very little that scares me away from doing it.
That's not to say I'm not more nervous with some vehicles than others, but once you learn what to stay away from as much as possible with water on a given engine, it's no big deal.
I also have a tendency to remove any plastic engine covers and the like in order to facilitate more thorough cleaning and dressing without worry of what is around or under them.
I also agree with that..

Thanks for the write-up! Your engine bay looks terrific. :xyxthumbs:
Karl Schultz recently shared his engine detailing method over at the S2K forum. I found his article particularly helpful: S2KI - S2000 Forums -> Karl's take on engine bay detailing (http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=768405).
Thanks for the link..Nice write up he had...

Thank you, very informative! Do you rinse it while the engine is on? doesn't it die cause you've covered the intake?
You don't use a degreaser, just the APC? What's a silicone spray? Sorry about bombarding you with so many questions. I just wanna learn other people's techniques too.
No problem buddy...Yes I do rinse while the engine is on. Most newer engine are water sealed. I have used purple power 4:1 to clean oilyand bad dirty ones. Duragloss #265 (silicone spray) is made for engines and helps rubber and plastic to last longer.
Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray (DS) #265 (http://www.autogeek.net/duuldespd2.html)

Or is this a non-issue?
I've never had a problem using DG#265'

Nice work!!!
Thank you bro..

Sparkie,
I have open intake like the K&N in your pic. I know I need to cover th intake up but do you cover or wrap anyhting else like the alternator or spark plug wells? The engine bay is the one area I have yet to tackle with a pressure washer or hose. I have always done parts by hand but never got it to look nearly as nice.
I have never had a problem, if I cover anything up I use aluminum foil to cover up parts I don't want to get wet.

I don't know about anyone else but I just keep a can of belt dressing around and give the belts a shot of it with the engine running after I'm done, and before I put the dressing on the rest of the engine.
I usually use CD2 Engine Detailer spray as the dressing.... which is supposed to be pretty much safe regardless.
Also keep in mind that APC is safer than degreaser -- a lot of degreasers can etch paint and even damage some types of metal. I'd stay away from degreasers unless APC won't cut through the crud on something specific you're working with.
Well said...:iagree:

Beautiful!
Thank you friend...

sparkie
03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2098_30949610Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray #265 is a blend of synthetic silicones in a convenient aerosol spray. It gives a wet look appearance with one easy application. Ultimate Detail Spray works great on tires (black or whitewall), bumpers, moldings, door jams, and AC vents. DS #265 is also a great lubricant that eliminates squeaks, loosens rusted bolts and keeps all rubber parts flexible. DS #265 also restores the new look to engine compartments (hoses, wires, etc.)

Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray is an instant detailer for exterior trim and moldings. It instantly adds gloss to the most weather-beaten areas of your vehicle with a high gloss synthetic silicone formula. These synthetic silicones bond to the surface of the rubber for a long-lasting, wet-look shine.

Packaged in a convenient aerosol can, Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray is designed for busy detailers to put a finishing touch on a just-detailed vehicle. Just spray and walk away. The spray requires no buffing or wiping to get a perfect shine on exterior rubber tires and trim.

Regular use of Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray keeps rubber flexible. Prevent door jambs from drying out and maintain the flexibility of rubber hoses underneath the hood - Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray does it all.

Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray doubles as a lubricant so you can finally eliminate that squeaky car door!

Use Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray #265 for the perfect finishing touch on exterior rubber tires, moldings, bumpers, and trim.

akimel
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Though I have not tried it on my engine bay yet (and probably never will, as I'm stocked up pretty well with CD-2), I have heard good things about Stoner Trim Shine applied to engine bay hoses. Ditto for 303 Protectant (http://www.303-products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/139/save-your-rubber-engine-hoses-with-303-aerospace-protectant.cfm). AG carries both products.

rohnramirez
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
No problem buddy...Yes I do rinse while the engine is on. Most newer engine are water sealed. I have used purple power 4:1 to clean oilyand bad dirty ones. Duragloss #265 (silicone spray) is made for engines and helps rubber and plastic to last longer.

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I learned a lot from this thread and will surely try it out soon. Good day.

Carguy09
03-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Looks Great! It doesn't hurt to spray a product like WD-40 around electrical connections- this helps keep out water. Also - if possible try and use a non silicone treatment since silicone can cause problems with electronicl sensors and wiring.You may also try and wrap the alternator in a plastic bag before cleaning. Just do not forget to remove it once you have sprayed the engine. I keep a small low pressure electric pressure washer for use in engine bays- less chance of blowing wires loose or forcing water where you do not want it penetrating.