PDA

View Full Version : The Chemistry of Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

JonMiles
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
The Chemistry of Car Detailing(this only the start of my research and includes only AP cleaner and Clay)
My research will continue over the next 3 weeks and I will continue to add to this forum.

Car Detailing is a complex process that involves mechanical and chemical engineering in order to clean, restore and protect various surfaces of a motor vehicle. The use of organic compounds, water soluble substrates, polymers, and
inorganic methods contribute to the effectiveness of chemicals in safely decontaminating, modifying, and sealing
various surfaces. This article will cover the chemicals involved in All-purpose cleaners, detailer's clay, car wash
shampoos, polishes, polymer sealants, waxes, leather cleaning and conditioning, and solvent and water based
dressings. The chemicals analyzed are generic brands and this research has not violated any laws. No constituent concentrations of products may be released at the request of the manufacturer.

All-purpose cleaners:
An all-purpose cleaner is a water soluble, basic, ion infused cleaning agent. The prime constituents in this
analysis led to a pH of 9.5 after being diluted 1:5 product to distilled water. The standard had a pH of 9.8
therefore the use of a buffer is conclusive. The atomic absorbtion spectroscopy indicated the prescence of Potassium
and Magnesium Hydroxides, and the use of GC mass spectroscopy indicated the absence of organic solvents and the presence of Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate(SDS) as a foaming agent, along with a bi-cyclic organic compound confirmed by
H-nmr and C-nmr. The all-purpose cleaner analyzed was orange in color indicating the use of a dye, and the scent was
a citrus extract as confirmed by the supplier. The use of SDS is to provide a molecular penetration to organic compounds and an encapsulation by ions to allow mechanical removal by use of a towel or brush. All conclusion were verified by the manufacturer for accuracy. The bi-cyclic compound was confirmed as the odorant.

Detailer's Clay:
Detailer's clay is an amorphous solid with blue pigment for the sample used. The detailer's clay shows a hexagonal face centered lattice in x-ray crystalography with a carbonate anion filling the octahedral holes in the lattice. The molecular constituents were confirmed using IR spectroscopy and AA spectroscopy against a standard of CaCO3. The clay was broken down for analysis using 3M sulfuric acid and then neutralized using NaOH to a pH of 6.8. The abrasives are Carbonate based as confirmed by the manufacturer and the amorphous crystal structure allows the amoebic encapsulation of lose particles on the surface of paint. The grit as confirmed by microscopy is approximately 7000 which varies over the surface area due to amorphous structure.

A4 1.8tqm
03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
I love this stuff! Thanks for doing this research, I can't wait for more! :props:

CEE DOG
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the work Jon, looking forward to more

JonMiles
03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
No problem on doing this research, it is a pain and very expensive but my school is paying for it so it's not too bad. I would really like if Autogeek would send me some samples to "analyze" outside the lab. wink wink. I am really having a hard time figuring out the constituents in leather products because they all seem to be biomolecular due to use on a cell surface. I only have 2 things isolated as of right now (water, and lanolin) I also have calculated that there are at least 22 things in it. ugh!

BTW I learned a cool trick for extending the working time of 105, grab a bottle of corn oil and but a sprayer on it. You can put a really small amount on the pad and it will lubricate better. The cut decreases a little bit, but the working time more than doubles. And IPA will get rid of the oil really well.

JonMiles
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
5757Another thing, I have successfully synthesized the pigment in ferrari's brilliant red paint. It is iron based. It really looks wild when it is being made, looks blood red at first then it gets lighter as you cool it.

jpegs13
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
My brain hurts now.:eek:

Shane731
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, that went over my head like a pigeon over a freshly detailed car. :detailer:

I don't get it. My brain hurts now. :surrender::D

Executive Detail
03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Interesting write up.

I think I just went cross-eyed.

BobbyG
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I thought this was about polishing and waxing my car.....

Wax Gorilla
03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I suspect alot of the Quick Detailers are 95% water !

mcpp66
03-14-2010, 07:39 PM
I wish I could apply my math degree to detailing.

Shane731
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I suspect Max has us all under a hypnotic spell so he can take all our money! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/characters/character0233.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-animal-smileys.php)

Just kidding Max! :D

JonMiles
03-14-2010, 07:45 PM
I suspect alot of the Quick Detailers are 95% water !

Its a little less than that, but the concentration is over 50%. There are some hydrocarbons that make up about a quarter of the total, and depending on which one you are using either a silicone, carnauba, or kaolin constituent. Almost every qd i've ever tested has some sort of drying agent that activates with air exposure to an extent.

CEE DOG
03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Its a little less than that, but the concentration is over 50%. There are some hydrocarbons that make up about a quarter of the total, and depending on which one you are using either a silicone, carnauba, or kaolin constituent. Almost every qd i've ever tested has some sort of drying agent that activates with air exposure to an extent.

Anything specific you can say about Optimum Instant detailer and Fk425?

JonMiles
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Anything specific you can say about Optimum Instant detailer and Fk425?

I can't say anything specific about those two because I have never analyzed them. If you look up the msds sheet on them it will tell you a few constituents and their relative concentrations, but these companies do very well about hiding the rest of the stuff they put in their products. Most the time water is exempt from the msds sheet because the EPA knows water is fine for the environment. In my experience, take the top % for each constituent in the chemical listed add them together, and 100 minus that number is close to the water % give or take 10%. Sometimes there is ethanol or IPA in the mix also which will not be listed. I have seen anywhere from 30-80% water in QD's so far, kind of a big range so you never know. Only one so far was less than 50% and it was recommended to dilute it 1:1 so workable QD was about 60%