PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with ScratchX 2.0

mcpp66
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Now that the weather is warming up I'm going to get back to swirl/scratch removal on my car. I'm going to use my Porter Cable 7424XP with white Lake Country pads. How do I know when the ScratchX 2.0 is completely broken down? Do I follow the same advice that's on the videos, even though they're using different polishes?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Now that the weather is warming up I'm going to get back to swirl/scratch removal on my car. I'm going to use my Porter Cable 7424XP with white Lake Country pads. How do I know when the ScratchX 2.0 is completely broken down? Do I follow the same advice that's on the videos, even though they're using different polishes?
ScratchX 2.0 uses non diminishing abrasives. The abrasives do not break down, they're already broken down to their smallest form from start to finish. No breaking down involved. The polishes in the videos are most likely diminishing abrasives which start as larger abrasives and break down to very fine abrasives.

5.4 Shelby
03-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Dont know about ScratchX, but, I just used SwirlX for the first and second time this week. I am impressed with its abilties and ease of use. My understanding is the ScratchX is older technology (even though it has SMAT) and the SwirlX is newer, more machine friendly.

If you are not getting the results you desire from ScratchX, try some SwirlX. It wont matter how thoroughly you break it down. It will leave you a nice finish regardless. If the scratches aren't gone, do another buffing cycle with it.

Reference:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

Mike Phillips
03-11-2010, 08:26 AM
ScratchX 2.0 is one of the products I've seen most reformulated over my time at Meguiar's, always being improved, that would hold for the newest version also.

It does use SMAT and it works really well by hand or with a DA Polisher to remove light to medium below surface paint defects.

Here's what you do,

Wash and dry car or wipe clean - Always work on a clean surface.
Pick a section to work on, usually a horizontal surface is the easiest to work on and to gauge your results.

Apply an X-Pattern or a circle Pattern to the face of the pad of if you like use take your fingers and spread out some ScratchX over the entire working face of the pad so 100% of the face of the pad is working at the very moment you turn your pad on.

Now buff a section about 20" squarish or so for about 4 to 6 section passes and then turn the polisher off, wipe-off the residue and inspect.

If the majority of swirls and scratches are removed to your expectations, hopes and dreams, then repeat this over the rest of the car working section by section.

If deeper swirls and scratches still remain, then repeat the above process and work the product for more section passes but don't buff to a dry buff, you should always have a wet film on the surface at the end of your buffing cycle.

At some point you should get a feel for how many passes your car's paint will require, or how many applications of ScratchX 2.0 your car's paint will require in order to remove the majority of swirls and scratches to your expectations.

If you find that ScratchX isn't' working fast enough or effectively enough you can always substitute a more aggressive pad or a more aggressive product or both.

:)

WRAPT C5Z06
03-11-2010, 10:13 AM
My understanding is the ScratchX is older technology (even though it has SMAT) and the SwirlX is newer, more machine friendly.

The older version ScratchX does not use SMAT, it uses diminishing abrasives. The never ScratchX 2.0 uses SMAT(non- diminishing abrasives). :xyxthumbs: