PDA

View Full Version : Compound/Foam vs. SIP/Wool??

MobolWerks
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Mike,

I am curious if you could give me a quick overview of choosing a compound, like Menz Power Gloss or M105 with a yellow cutting foam pad, versus using something like Menz SIP with a purple wool pad...

To be more precise, what situation are each of these best suited for??

By the way, the pads I am speaking of are Lake Country CCS and Lake Country Purple Wool

Thanks

Feed back please

rohnramirez
03-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi Mobol. I'm also new to the forum. M105 is pretty high on the abrasive chart to compare it to SIP, which is in the midrange. But as far as your combination of product and foam is, the yellow with M105 is very aggressive.

zinc02gt
03-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Hopefully we're talking about a rotary if wool is in the question. I have heard that SIP/wool isn't a very good combo. Just something about SIP's make up...

If you have to use a yellow pad, why not use a wool pad? With the right wool pad you can get a finish that is easily followed up with a white pad/polish combo.

I would stick to using a wool pad with M105 or PG and leave pretty much everything else to foam.

MobolWerks
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
I haven't actually used the combo of SIP/Wool....

I was just reading the "Pad Comparison Chart" on AG, and it mentioned using Purple Wool with SIP - I am just curious about why they would recommend a Polish rather than a Compound when using wool???

Mike Phillips
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Just follow the basics,

Evaluate the condition of the paint
Choose the right product
Use good technique

I did a search of your posting history (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/members/mobolwerks.html) but didn't see where you ever made a post in our "Introduction Forum" to introduce yourself?

Not that it matters but sometimes it's nice to know how much experience you have detailing cars in general and how long you've been machine buffing after making the jump from working by hand.

The answer to your questions is you choose the pad and product that will get the job done, that is if you're trying to remove defects then you choose a combination of pad and product that will work with the tools you own and remove the defects to your satisfaction.

Some products are more specific to a rotary buffer or a specific type of pad, so you have to make sure you're choosing and using the right products for your specific approach.

So here's the questions...

What are you working on?
What are you trying to accomplish?
What tools do you own and are planning on using to do the work?

:props:

MobolWerks
03-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Working on a White Toyota Sequoia and a Silver Lexus ES 300

Equipment is a Flex 3401

I have been detailing for a while, but machine polishing for a very short time

I am very comfortable with Flex though, as I used to be a finish carpenter, so I am fairly comfortable with power tools like orbital sanders and belt sanders, which require a similar skill set to achieve a very smooth surface, without over doing it.

I used a White CCS with Nano, but am about to use WG TSR with an Orange CCS for the scratch removal and finish with a White CCS and WG Finishing Glaze..

What are your thoughts??

redgt03
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Is the paint really bad? .....if not orange and SIP should give you the correction you are looking for - then follow with white and finishing polish - IMO. Pics of the paint would help us tell you a good combo!!! :-)

MobolWerks
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
The paint is actually pretty good, except for the pigtails and a few scratches - all of which is on the hood

Will work on getting some pics

redgt03
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I have not used the product you are about to try with the orange pad, but I bet that will get you the result you are looking for!