PDA

View Full Version : Website opinions...

Mirror Detailing
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Close to having my website done, still a few things left to fix. Better logo needs to go up and the portfolio needs to get finished filling in. But want other peoples opinions of things they see wrong, etc. Thanks

Mirror Detailing (http://www.mirrordetailing.com)

Kris R
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Close to having my website done, still a few things left to fix. Better logo needs to go up and the portfolio needs to get finished filling in. But want other peoples opinions of things they see wrong, etc. Thanks

Nice site! Sounds like a star wars weapon with your speakers all the way up...almost blew myself outta my chair. I like the effort. A lot of people dont put effort into their site at all.

I also like your price package as well.

I just uploaded my site as well if you want to check it out.

Polished Works (http://www.polishedworks.com)

:dblthumb2:

DLB
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Remember - you asked for opinions.

Did you detail the car in the header? If so, then include it in your portfolio. If not, then include one from your portfolio.

Do you only detail Audi, Kia, Lexus, Acura, Mitsu, and Honda vehicles? If not, then why is that the only logo's you include? (Read: Don't use the car logo's unless you are highly specializing in those vehicles, IE, Jesse O'Connor is known for Ferrari details).

While the sound effect is "OK" when you first open the Home Page, it is annoying when you go to the other pages and hear the same sound every time you click.

I didn't proofread your Packages page really, so I don't know about any grammatical errors there (just gave the entire site a quick once over). However, on your home page " Packages’ " doesn't need and apostrophe unless you are wanting it read packageses (It is already a plural word).

DLB

sullysdetailing
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
I would say make the Portfolio Page different. Make it and Icon and name of the car and when you click on it you get before and after pictures so you have more pictures to view from. Look at Auto Lavished site you'll see what I mean.

Besides that it looks great

DonMTV
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I am with DLB on the secondary pages and navigation sound. You could set up the home page to have the sounds and the use of Silverlight(unless that is Flash. I didn't pay attention), and then just use a jpeg for the secondary page navigation and banner. I am not a big fan of sounds on websites as I mostly have my audio off.

You want to make pages simple and informative. Get your information to whoever is visiting in a quick and concise manner. If things take too long or there is too much clutter a person will click off the website faster.

Sully has the right idea, go to other websites and look to see what might be working for them. It doesn't have to be a detailing site, it could be a band, e-commerce, or some other site. Bookmark pages that you find cool.

Here is a tech website that might be helpful with website design and even marketing. SitePoint : New Articles, Fresh Thinking for Web Developers and Designers (http://www.sitepoint.com) They are a publishing company for website design and backend stuff. They also have forums that could be helpful.

Take care,
Don

Mirror Detailing
03-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Remember - you asked for opinions.

Did you detail the car in the header? If so, then include it in your portfolio. If not, then include one from your portfolio.

Do you only detail Audi, Kia, Lexus, Acura, Mitsu, and Honda vehicles? If not, then why is that the only logo's you include? (Read: Don't use the car logo's unless you are highly specializing in those vehicles, IE, Jesse O'Connor is known for Ferrari details).

While the sound effect is "OK" when you first open the Home Page, it is annoying when you go to the other pages and hear the same sound every time you click.

I didn't proofread your Packages page really, so I don't know about any grammatical errors there (just gave the entire site a quick once over). However, on your home page " Packages’ " doesn't need and apostrophe unless you are wanting it read packageses (It is already a plural word).

DLB

I am looking for objective opinions from a customer stand point so yes... opinions. But yeah someone has already brought up the logo's at the bottom. I will find out about getting those removed. 2nd the car at the top is kinda a CGI effect car. I will about chopping up a current picture in placement on having it up their.

I would say make the Portfolio Page different. Make it and Icon and name of the car and when you click on it you get before and after pictures so you have more pictures to view from. Look at Auto Lavished site you'll see what I mean.

Besides that it looks great

Yeah I have already had the portfolio page changed already. I am thinking that the way it is set up to where you click each picture individually works better. That way you dont have to scroll through them, its understood what is the Before and what is the After. But yeah I used some of the detailing website listings you sent me to try to design my site around.

I am with DLB on the secondary pages and navigation sound. You could set up the home page to have the sounds and the use of Silverlight(unless that is Flash. I didn't pay attention), and then just use a jpeg for the secondary page navigation and banner. I am not a big fan of sounds on websites as I mostly have my audio off.

You want to make pages simple and informative. Get your information to whoever is visiting in a quick and concise manner. If things take too long or there is too much clutter a person will click off the website faster.

Sully has the right idea, go to other websites and look to see what might be working for them. It doesn't have to be a detailing site, it could be a band, e-commerce, or some other site. Bookmark pages that you find cool.

Here is a tech website that might be helpful with website design and even marketing. SitePoint : New Articles, Fresh Thinking for Web Developers and Designers (http://www.sitepoint.com) They are a publishing company for website design and backend stuff. They also have forums that could be helpful.

Take care,
Don

Yeah the sound clip gets alittle annoying to me and is one thing I am trying to work on getting removed. I like your idea of having it at the opening, then jpeging it to the rest of the pages.

Also on another note, I did not want to be exactly like everyone elses webpages. Since most detailing sites follow a common theme, so I tried to get it done in a slightly different manner while still staying in the realm of a detailing oriented site.

Shane731
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree - way too many sounds. It was cool at first, but it got old fast. I also didn't like the sound when you moved your mouse over Home Page, Services, Portfolio, and Contact. Having all the sounds just seemed rather showy.

On the Portfolio page, why don't you put what package was done to what car? As a customer, for all I know you could have just washed it and it's like, "Hey, look what I've detailed!" Just not enough "pick me" attitude going on.

I'd also like to see what kinds of products and tools you're using. I mean, you could be using Turtle Wax and Armor All, or you could be using Pinnacle and Wolfgang. I don't know, and as a customer, I'd definitely want to know what somebody is using on my car.

Anyway, that's what I saw. Good luck with your website! :xyxthumbs:

jpegs13
03-09-2010, 04:49 PM
I use nothing but the finest quality products to work on and with your vehicle.

That sentence is confusing. I know what you mean to say, but it's awkward. maybe:
" I use only the highest quality products on your vehicle"

* Please Note That Prices Are Subject To Change At Condition of Vehicle, Mainly Due To Color, Age, And Condition Of Paint.

Maybe: Please note: Prices are subject to change due to condtion of vehicle paint, color and age

gewb
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM

I can't get very far as your site REQUIRES Flash - that is a no-go. :mad:
Couple reasons: Flash is a security risk and some people will not use it (it's also an old technology which is one reason it is so prone to security problems); second, Flash doesn't work well on many mobil devices (Blackberry, many mobil phones with Internet, iPhone,iPod Touch, and iPad).

Others posted that you have unrequested sound. If it came up on my browser I would leave as fast as I could click the BACK button.

Unless you also have a non-Flash version of your site, I'll never be able to visit it.

Regards,
GEWB

MobolWerks
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
At Mirror Detailing I (should be changed to WE, even if it is just you) strive to bring back that mirror shine and finish to your vehicle (should be "shine BACK to your vehicles' finish), whether it’s your weekend warrior, show car or even your daily driver.

I use nothing but the finest quality products to work on and with your vehicle. (should be finest quality products AND Equipment to work on your vehicle - you don't, grammatically speaking, work "with" someones car)

I have numerous packages to offer anyone (add comma, erase capitalized "packages'). Packages’ ranging from professional general cleans (cleans is not a word:) - leave out professional, as they already assume you are one, and say general cleanings) all the way up to full paint correction.

With Mirror Detailing you know you are getting the best work at the best prices. (prices should be price - prices assumes that they are paying for multiple packages which is unlikely)

I am realllllly anal about grammer:)

MobolWerks
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Exterior Clean - $30
•Exterior Washed w/ Two Bucket Method (Should be exterior wash - not washed)
•Rims Clean & Tires Shined Clean (should be rims and tires cleaned and shined)
•Exterior Windows General Interior Vacuum (this should be 2 seperate bullet points and "general" should not precede interior vaccum service)
Exterior Plus - $80•Exterior Clean
•Exterior Clay Barred (should be Clay Bar Treatment - sounds better)
•Black Plastic Trim Coated (Gives A Deeper Black Shine)
•Choice of either Sealant or Wax (Added Cost if Wanting a Layer of Each) (should be "sealant/wax combination available at additional cost)
◦Sealant – Longest Lasting UV Protection of up to 6 - 12 Months (Should be "up to 12 months of UV protection" - it sounds better)
◦Wax – UV Protection 2-4 Months, Plus Give’s Shine & Depth To The Paint (should be "depth, shine, and up to 4 months of UV protection")
Inside & Out General - $65
•General Clean
•Interior Panels Dash, Center Console, Door Panels Cleaned (need comma after interior panels - before dash)
•Interior Thoroughly Vacuumed (should be "thorough interior vacuum")
•Interior/Exterior Windows Cleaned

Watch how you phrase things - your description needs to show the "best case" capabilities of your services, rather than highlighting that they may work much less time - for example saying 6-12 months - that is an extremely large variance in time - instead say, "up to 12 months" - you are not lying, as that is possible under perfect circumstances.

Hope that helps

Brennan Beasley
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
This is nuts its the exact same flash template I have. from dreamtemplate. Swapped to this one about 8 months ago.

Maximagedetailing.com (http://maximagedetailing.com)

I love this one. Looks like we think along the same lines :dblthumb2:

Mirror Detailing
03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks alot for everyones input. Made alot of changes to things. Site has already been updated to make the banner a JPEG, sound removed and changed the car at the top. Rest of the stuff will be changed in the next 24 hours.