PDA

View Full Version : Recieved a New Pad Cleaner for Xmis. Now I have questions.

shipkiller
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
For Xmis, I recieved the System 2000 pad cleaner.

Last weekend, I tried it out. It really works like a champ. Though I it does splash water around a bit. I might have too much water in the bucket. I will find out next time.

I have search the forum but cannot find the answer to my next questions.

When I was finished cleaning all my pads, I left the cleaning solution in the bucket and covered it up with a plastic bag.

Is this the proper way to store this? If this is correct, how long can I store it this way and what is the frequency to change the water/cleaner in the bucket?

Mike Phillips
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
For Xmis, I received the System 2000 pad cleaner.

Last weekend, I tried it out. It really works like a champ. Though I it does splash water around a bit. I might have too much water in the bucket. I will find out next time.

I have search the forum but cannot find the answer to my next questions.

When I was finished cleaning all my pads, I left the cleaning solution in the bucket and covered it up with a plastic bag.

Is this the proper way to store this? If this is correct, how long can I store it this way and what is the frequency to change the water/cleaner in the bucket?

Great questions...

In the rough draft forum I have an article I started on washing pad washers, not really Tom Clancy material but there was a point to the article that I'll try to make below.

If you buff out cars on a consistent basis, that is daily or weekly, then it's a good idea to wash out your pad washer at the end of each day and there are several reasons for this,

1) As you clean your pads your water become dirty, the more pads you clean the dirtier it becomes. While the solids will settle to the bottom, there is a limit as to how many pads you can clean before the cleaning solution won't perform to the level you want and need.

2) Because solids will settle on the bottom, if you don't remove them while they are loose, over time they will compact and solidify and then when you go to clean your pad washer it will be hard, or at least take more effort to clean out all the built-up residues. On the other hand, if you blast your pad washing bucket and components at the end of the day while all the residues and solids are still unsettled, it will rinse out quickly and easily and only takes a few minutes to do. This is the reason I clan my pad washer at the end of they day because even though buffing out a car is tiring, it's just a few more minutes to do this kind of preventative maintenance versus taking more time and effort to clean out the bucket after time has gone by.

3) Odor - That's right odor, or stinky water. Ugh... have you ever smelled a pad washer bucket after weeks and months have gone by? I have and it's pretty nasty. Take my word for it or experience it yourself.

My personal take...
It's a lot more pleasant to clean your bucket out often and faster and easier than it is to let the solids solidify and the water to create it's own unique scent.

Now if you are only buffing out your cars and not doing this very often then its' easy to want to save money by not dumping out your cleaning solution and instead saving it for the next detailing session but for the cost of cleaning solution, it's my opinion that it's still better to rinse your bucket out while the solids are still fresh and haven't compacted or solidified in the bottom of the bucket and before the water becomes stinky.

As for storing with a bag over the top of it? That will help to keep airborne dirt and abrasive particles from getting into the water or onto the cleaning table inside the System 2000 Pad Washer, (like if you were to sweep out the garage and send dirt particles into the air), but you might be creating an environment for mold or mildew or fermenting stinky pad cleaning water, I don't know, I've never bagged my bucket?

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

As for

shipkiller
03-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Cool,

Thanks Mike.

I completely overlooked the rancid water aspect.

I am going to have to stock up on cleaning powder...

Mike Phillips
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I've worked around a few pad washers that hadn't been washed in nobody knows how long and they were pretty gross...

I try not to be on the super D.O. side whenever I don't have to be but when it comes to the pad washer I find myself always making time to wash it out after use versus let stand for any length of time.

It really only takes a few minutes to remove the lid, remove the guts, blast clean all the components and then reassemble either one so it's ready to use.

The problem is that after a hard day of detailing you're tired, I know I'm tired and I want to be done. But burn a few more calories and clean your pad washer.

Plus, starting fresh, with fresh cleaning solution works so much better for cleaning pads...

:)