PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...I think I'm going to try this myself

billyd
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Recently purchased a 2008 Miata 'demo'. Stormy Blue Mica mettalic paint. Issues are random swirls and light scratches and some oversray on the front bumper. The overspray seems to be the result of a poor job over covering some stone chips. Swirls and scratches from poor wash practice, probably at the dealership.
The price of having it polished is about the same as purchasing a PC 7424. Being retired, I have the time. Considering the following -
1. Wash
2. Clay overspray areas
3. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3 with orange or white pad
4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (2 coats ?)
5. Wax - if so recomendations.

Looking for a good finish as well as protection. A little nervous about the process, but I'm a pretty handy guy.
Any input appreciated.:props:

rwright
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome! I understand being nervous, I'm going to use a machine for the first time this weekend on my wife's black Cobalt! Many people here will say the same thing, start with a test panel or spot. I will most likely use the roof as a test panel but since you have a Miata, I would say maybe the top of the trunk lid. Good luck!

Mike Phillips
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
The price of having it polished is about the same as purchasing a PC 7424. Being retired, I have the time.

In the forum world I use the term, "Horror Story" way too often and it's for when some kindly person takes their car to a supposed detailer to have it detailed, to the dealership to have service and the dealership "washes" or "details" the car for them, or you have your car repaired at a body shop and when you get it back it's filled with swirls.

These area all "Horror Stories" and the sad thing is this is the "norm".

So purchasing a dual action polisher will help you avoid a horror story plus with the help of our forum members we'll see you through to success...

Considering the following -
1. Wash
2. Clay overspray areas
3. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3 with orange or white pad
4. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (2 coats ?)
5. Wax - if so recommendations.

Looking for a good finish as well as protection. A little nervous about the process, but I'm a pretty handy guy.
Any input appreciated.:props:

DA Polishers are very easy to use and the Wolfgang TSR is incredibly easy to use and get professional results from the first time out.

Hang on let me get you some helpful links...

:)

Mike Phillips
03-09-2010, 11:12 AM
First, if you haven't watched this then take a gander, it shows pretty much everything you need to know in detail about using this too to remove swirls.

How to Remove Swirls with the Porter Cable 7424XP (http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/ascg-videos/porter-2-20-10.html)

Next, I just wrote this article and it explains why this tool is so safe, take a look at it too...

The Free Rotating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

There's a link to a video that shows me smashing this tool against my hand to show you how safe it is so check it out.

The Miata is a small car with gentle rolling curves and this makes it very easy to machine polish so you have everything working for you. I've also found the factory paint on every Miata I've ever worked on to be very easy to remove swirls out of and polish to a high gloss.

:)

billyd
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the links and encouragement

DARK HORSE
03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Looks like Richard and Mike have you covered well, except for LSP recommendations. You said:

"5. Wax - if so recomendations.
Any input appreciated"

If you are looking for a great finish, as well as long lasting protection, I would suggest Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Four Star Ulimate Paint Protection. Both look nice and are generally more durable then most nuba waxes. (If you wanted you could also top it with a nuba wax, many do, but I don't see the point).

Shane731
03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Is your car this color?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2006/2229584886_3dcd72d32d.jpg

I think I'd go with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and top it with Wolfgang Fuzion. That would look so good! :righton:

dunston
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
You will do a great job on your car! You got all the right products and tools, so just a little testing spots out you will get the hang of it and create a beautiful shine, :xyxthumbs:

billyd
03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Is your car this color?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2006/2229584886_3dcd72d32d.jpg

I think I'd go with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and top it with Wolfgang Fuzion. That would look so good! :righton:

Yep, that's it. In the flesh it has a really nice metalic glow, but any scratch or swirl really jumps out!