PDA

View Full Version : Powerballs Rock -- Product Test

ScottB
10-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Let me start off by saying that I waited for the first Powerball to be released for use. It was large and made of bright red foam. When attached to a drill it made polishing wheels much easier. I thought I had gone to heaven.
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05140.jpg

Then I got word from Jason and Forrest at Mothers that a newer, smaller red ball was coming. It would come with a adapter to allow it to fit into smaller more intricate areas of rims. I was stoked. It clearly worked better on my wheels and was all the rage. I never reopened my larger Powerball again. This puppy seemed to offer better power and really made it simple. Plus my rim design lead to needing the smaller head. The spinning of these heads and power of the drill are something you just cannot replicate via hand. It also cuts down the time needed tremendously.
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05141.jpg

So a couple months ago I caught a glimpse of a Powerball in yellow and it picked my interest. What is it ?? Why does it say MD ?? So after reading the directions and finding out it was for serious oxidation/scratch removal and wheel polishing I left it alone.

Shortly thereafter I found out it would not be offered by AG. I was amiss as could not get a handle on why. So I emailed Forrest over at Mothers and he offered to allow me to try one. He offered words of caution and asked me to stick with the Powerpolish I was using as possible. Said this was all that was needed for neglected uncoated wheels. Once I received it , I kinda got nervous and left on shelve but started to neglect polishing my wheels monthly. I allowed 90 days of just washing and drying with some DP sealant. As with uncoated aluminum, they started to turn a light milky apperance.DO time said it was time to breakout the Powerballs .....

Well this weekend when my knuckles tired and my Powerball mini was blackened with tarnish, I decided to pull the MD out. WOW !! It worked very well with their polish. It left no micromarring and really brightened the wheels. Easy to use, nice results and the same Powerball positive reaction. It had the little extra power needed to quickly repair the finish to a bright and bold look.
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpics/05142.jpg

I do hope that if any have uncoated wheels, you will consider these tools. It can also be used on painted and chrome wheels, just with specific polishes to your finish. (think PC for your wheels) Super easy to use and make a credible difference in polishing wheels. While my wheels are certainly never neglected long-term, these are three items to make things much easier. Two you can get from AG, and one you would need to get directly from Mothers. Using their Powerpolish and billet polish is one way to make High-Polish stand out more so than chrome. It is my hope that Mothers will design a long term sealant for these wheels that can offer a years protection with a single coat, till then back to DP Wheel Glaze and/or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

Use the XMT pad conditioner after each use and it will bring all your Powerballs back to new.

MikeyC
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Great review Killer!! I have the two red Powerballs and they are very useful. Like you once I tried the mini the original one got shelved. I just find the mini gets in all the areas of my wheel much better.

I don't have polished wheels though mine are clear coated. So, I just use the Powerball with Wheel Wax which I understand is somewhat of a cleaner wax. The two work great together! In between polishing I usually seal my wheels with DP Spray Sealant.

aceshigh73
10-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Here we go with Scott and his balls again...... lol!!!

FloridaNative
10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Great review Killler! :) :applause:

ScottB
10-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Here we go with Scott and his balls again...... lol!!!

the others were blue ... I moved into the red and yellow stages now. ;)

http://www.seenontvnow.com/dryermax/images/vitadigest_1915_441804038.gif

sparkie
10-18-2006, 05:08 AM
I have the big red ball, and the one small red ball. Great products. Nice review. My blue balls are for my MF.

BES225
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I am a rookie at this and obviously depth-perception impaired and was wonderring if you could provide some direction.

I have a 2007 Infinity M35 which has an extremely low tire profile. I have scraped up against a curb and marred the wheel rim. The marring is not too bad but I notice it (probably the only one who does). Would this remove the scratches or is there something else that would work, or, should I leave this repair to professionals?

Surfer
01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
the others were blue ... I moved into the red and yellow stages now. ;)

http://www.seenontvnow.com/dryermax/images/vitadigest_1915_441804038.gifOuch, think I'll stick with blue balls instead.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
01-13-2008, 09:10 AM
I have the big red ball, and the one small red ball.

Sparkie, I think they make medicine for that....lol:D

ScottB
01-20-2008, 10:52 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1985_29809423

Mothers has added to the line, now there is a paint specific (ie. softer) version available too.

oldmodman
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
The Powerball Mini is the perfect tool for me to use when polishing my bare aluminum supercharger. It gets into all the nooks and crannies perfectly. I have been using Adams polishes in the past but I picked up a can of Meguiars NXT metal Polish just to try something else. Then after the polish I put a coat of Wolfgang MetalWerk Sealant on it and it lasts at least six months, even in the tough underhood environment.

But after reading your report on the yellow ball I am going to try and find one.

And those blue dryer balls work great! My girlfriend gave me some and I have stopped using fabric softener since they work so well. Of course not with MF towels.

Here's a pic of a "typical" Ford Modular Engine with Polished Blower. I have to admit it's not my engine, it belongs to a woman in Texas named Tracy. She has put untold amounts of labor into her car.

blk45
01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
it belongs to a woman in Texas named Tracy. She has put untold amounts of labor into her car.

Racerat?

oldmodman
01-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Racerat?

The one and only:D

I wish she start a thread with just pictures of her car. Now that she has finished her latest audiophile upgrade I'd love to see how it looks.

conan777
01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
How do these power balls handle chrome? I have very expensive 3 piece forged chrome wheels and saw these powerballs but figured they may scratch the chrome especially if the wheels are very dirty. I tried swapping my winter wheels with my chrome ones a couple weeks ago but could not get my hub centric rings to come off so until I can get into a shop and have them cut the rings off I am stuck. SO now I have salt and sand all over the roads blasting my chrome. I wash them frequently and was wondering if these powerballs would be worth it?? Tks