PDA

View Full Version : ETA on Meguiars sanding dics?

Garry Dean
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
I want to purchase some. Anyone at AG know when you are expecting them? Also, any idea when you will have the 3M Trizact P3000s back in stock?

Mike Phillips
03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
All I can say is we're waiting for delivery and soon as they arrive we'll make an announcement.

I have a stash, hmmm eBay?

Nah... I have another car to sand down...

:)

C. Charles Hahn
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
So Mike, I have a question for you:

How many of the unigrit finishing discs, on average, are needed to damp sand a complete vehicle of average size? (Say, a car the size of a modern Chevy Impala)? One disc per panel? Or significantly less than that?

Mike Phillips
04-16-2010, 11:08 AM
So Mike, I have a question for you:

How many of the Unigrit finishing discs, on average, are needed to damp sand a complete vehicle of average size? (Say, a car the size of a modern Chevy Impala)? One disc per panel? Or significantly less than that?

I used 5 of the #3000 Discs on this El Camino and I was very careful to monitor the cutting of the disc before switching to a new disc.

The key to getting as much use out of a single disc is to use the right amount of water. Too little water is a disc killer as it will wear the disc out prematurely.

Too much water and you hyper-lubricate the surface and reduce cutting ability, the disc won't wear out but you don't get any work done and it's possible you could mistake the lack of cutting to be a worn out disc when that might not be the case.

I used 16 ounces of water to sand down the entire El Camino, I monitored this also for an article I'm writing.

coldfirejt
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I used 16 ounces of water to sand down the entire El Camino, I monitored this also for an article I'm writing.

Is that using your damp sanding teqnique? Will you be discussing that method at all during the class on the 24th?

Mike Phillips
04-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Is that using your damp sanding technique? Will you be discussing that method at all during the class on the 24th?

Yes.

I'll demonstrate how to damp sand and I'll have a car hood set-up so anyone that wants can try their hand at it.

The focus of the class is machine buffing and everyone will have an opportunity to try out all the different polishers but I will show how to damp-sand.

Just to note, here's the deal about sanding... for whatever reason, people want to learn how to wet-sand or damp-sand, but in the real world, at least from my experience, rarely does anyone that attends the class ever plan on actually sanding down an entire car and then buffing it out. Knowing this, I'll keep the focus on machine polishing as that's what most people will do.

C. Charles Hahn
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
It certainly is rare for people to sand an entire car unless we're talking about a fresh paint job. Usually it's something that would be used for spot repairs of RIDS as an alternative approach to heavy compounds and wool pads.

I have had customers ask me about sanding down their cars for various reasons before though, so it's always nice to know how to do the job and be able to accurately estimate time and materials for quoting purposes.

Thanks for the info, Mike!

termigator
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Will you be putting the damp sanding technique to video? I am planning to paint my car sometime this year and would like to us my DA to wetsand the entire car afterwards before buffing. I've done some spot wetsanding and that is already tedious and messy. I can't even imagine doing an entire car by hand. I guess I could always do just one or two panels a day....:)

Mike Phillips
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Will you be putting the damp sanding technique to video?

Yes.

termigator
04-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Cool. Looking forward to it.