PDA

View Full Version : Those who have the "new" Griot's random orbital, question...

WRAPT C5Z06
03-06-2010, 03:23 PM
What size pads do you use the most? I'm trying to figure out if 5.5" pads might be more effective than 6.5", overall. FWIW, I have not received the polisher yet, just looking ahead.

Rsurfer
03-06-2010, 05:09 PM
What size pads do you use the most? I'm trying to figure out if 5.5" pads might be more effective than 6.5", overall. FWIW, I have not received the polisher yet, just looking ahead.The new Griot will spin the 6.5" pads with no problems, but I still like the 5.5" pads. Be sure to get some 4" pads for pillars and bumpers or better yet, get the mini Griot.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
The new Griot will spin the 6.5" pads with no problems, but I still like the 5.5" pads. Be sure to get some 4" pads for pillars and bumpers or better yet, get the mini Griot.
Thank you! :xyxthumbs:

I will definitely pick up some 4" pads.

Why do you like the 6.5" better than 5.5"? Just curious. Also, are the 5.5" LC flat pads not as thick as the 6.5"?

Rsurfer
03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you! :xyxthumbs:

I will definitely pick up some 4" pads.

Why do you like the 6.5" better than 5.5"? Just curious. Also, are the 5.5" LC flat pads not as thick as the 6.5"?
Just the opposite 07. I like the LC constant pressure 5.5" pads.

Old Tiger
03-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I bought a bunch of 5.5 pads when Danasc went out of business. I got them for $2.99 each. They are LC Smart Pads. I like them better than 6.5. I agree with Resurfer regarding 3" GG. I bought both GG polishers and will put them to work in a week or two.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Just the opposite 07.

:doh:

That's what I meant to ask. Are the 6.5" pads too bulky in your opinion? Not that the GG can't spin them.

Rsurfer
03-06-2010, 07:03 PM
:doh:

That's what I meant to ask. Are the 6.5" pads too bulky in your opinion? Not that the GG can't spin them.
The 6.5" will cover a larger area and you could use them for the larger panels. It will cut down your polishing time, but then again I still like the 5.5" pads even for larger areas.

WRAPT C5Z06
03-06-2010, 07:12 PM
The 6.5" will cover a larger area and you could use them for the larger panels. It will cut down your polishing time, but then again I still like the 5.5" pads even for larger areas.
I already have a lot 6.5" flat pads. I just found a couple 5.5" pads(orange, white). I thought I lost them! Now I can try the 5.5" pads, and if I like them, I'll order some. 4" pads and backing plate are a must! :dblthumb2:

VISITOR
03-06-2010, 07:53 PM
if memory serves, the new 5.5" flat pads that AG has now are the low profile and are thinner, and are not the same thickness as the 6.5" pads. which is a bummer as i don't care for low profile pads...

Mike Phillips
03-06-2010, 09:02 PM
if memory serves, the new 5.5" flat pads that AG has now are the low profile and are thinner, and are not the same thickness as the 6.5" pads. which is a bummer as i don't care for low profile pads...

This is correct.

Both the CCS and the new 5.5" LC Flat pads are both thinner than the 6.5" CCS pads.

I started an article to show the different pad thicknesses but haven't finished it yet but one of the reasons was to show and highlight the difference in thickness and thinness.

Note that the thinner the pad the easier it is for a DA Polisher with a Free Rotating Spindle Assembly to keep the pad rotating as thicker pads absorb and dissipate the power coming out of the tool.

I've used some very thin pads and it's very apparent. A few years ago someone introduced this incredibly THICK foam buffing pad for the DA? I never tried it but I didn't have to as I knew it would be more or less useless on a PC

I've also used the PC to sand down one of my desks and when used the way the PC was originally designed to be used, that is as a wood sander, it has no problem spinning a thin piece of sand paper.

Taped-off and sanded with 220 using my G100 (Took all the work out of it). There were some pretty bad stains in one area that I couldn't sand all the way out...

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2SandingDesk1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2SandingDesk2.jpg

2-Coats of MINWAX Red Mahogany 225

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WoodDeskStained1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WoodDeskStained2.jpg