PDA

View Full Version : Gimp - Free software for editing photos

Frank787
03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Gimp is an open source alternative to Photoshop, while it is complex it's easy to learn the basics and ignore the rest of the program. Also Microsoft's PowerToy Picture Resizer is incredibly handy to take those high resolution pictures and knock them down quickly and easily in file size.

Mike Phillips
03-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing this software with the forum.

One thing I like to do when I share a software program with the forum is to include a tutorial on how to use it that usually includes screenshots. Our forum attracts a wide spectrum of people, some that are very computer savvy and some that need a tutorial, especially with screenshots to show them how to use the software to successfully do the thing the software is supposed to enable them to do.

Here's an example of one I just wrote....

How to crop out the fluff and resize your pictures! - Using FREE online software! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/23918-how-crop-out-fluff-resize-your-pictures-using-free-online-software.html)

I know it takes a little time to take the screenshots and create a "dedicated thread" helping others, but that's what brings so much more value to the link to the software.

Maybe the Gimp site has a tutorial? If so feel free to include the link or feel free to create you're own tutorial to go with the link?

It's REAL easy to take pictures with a digital camera, the problem most people have is resizing them to a usable, viewable size, plus unloading them to a gallery and then inserting them into a message.

That's where a helpful tutorial comes in real handy to go along with a link to great software.

Thanks for sharing the link with the forum.

:xyxthumbs:

gewb
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Frank -

The GIMP is going through an update (due around September) to version 2.8 (I think) - it is supposed to be a fairly big change re: user interface. It should be "easier" to use than the current version.

That said, the current version (2.6) is not difficult to use for the most common digital image manipulation tasks such as minor color/brightness/contrast, cropping, re-sizing, etc. One area where the GIMP outpaces all competition is the SAVE options to control image size and quality based on compression algorithms.

Mike -

One of these days I'll write up a series of short tutorials on how to use the GIMP for these typical task but it may be a couple months as I'm up to my eyeballs in work.

Regards,
GEWB

Mike Phillips
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Mike -

One of these days I'll write up a series of short tutorials on how to use the GIMP for these typical task but it may be a couple months as I'm up to my eyeballs in work.

Regards,
GEWB

I'm confident your tutorials will be greatly appreciated.

Each one teach one...

:dblthumb2:

gewb
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm confident your tutorials will be greatly appreciated.

Each one teach one...

:dblthumb2:

I found a tutorial I had written for a photography forum - updated it and uploaded it as a new topic in this forum.

Regards,
GEWB

Mike Phillips
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
And a very nice tutorial indeed... here's the direct link...

Using GIMP to Crop and Resize Images (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/24018-using-gimp-crop-resize-images.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Frank787
03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I started a new job and haven't had time to write up a tutorial, I'm glad somebody did.

gewb
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I started a new job and haven't had time to write up a tutorial, I'm glad somebody did.

Congrats on the new job! :props:

Regards,
GEWB