PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know if this makes sense...

Pages : [1] 2

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi all;

I've got some questions that I hope you all could help me with. I just got a new car, an '06 Acura TL. It's Black. About 3 days after taking delivery of the car, I noticed that it was loaded up with small swirls and some spider-webbing. None of the swirls can be caught with my fingernails, and the paint does feel pretty smooth. I'd like to give it a good detailing before winter sets in. I live in the Northeast, so that should be like, this weekend!

Here's what I have to date.

PC 7424 w/Edge Pad Kit
XMT 2 & 1 Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Paint Cleanser
Pinnacle Liquid Sov Wax
AG Foam Gun w/DP Foam Gun "stuff"
WG clay kit with the Palm applicator thingy ( Checked the manufacturers site, and I do believe that is the technical description)
Various cleaners for the interior (Pinnacle, also from AG.net)

What I'd like to do to detail the car is the following:

Wash: Foam Gun w/Boars head Brush, yet to be ordered.
Paint Cleanser
XMT 2 & 1 for Swirl Removal
Polish - What would you all recommend for black?
Glaze - What would you all recommend for black?
Wax - I'm thinking Pinnacle Sov Paste? Can I use that with a PC?

So my questions are as follows:

Does this process make sense to you all?
What pads (Edge System) would I be using for each step (I need to order spares)? So far I am pretty comfortable with the orange cutting pad, and very comfortable with the blue and white.
Do the products that I have so far make sense, or is there something easier or better ( I know, that's a relative term)?

Please keep in mind that I am a novice when it comes to detailing, but have gotten a boatload of practice with the PC on my old Deere tractor. Whenever possible, small words would be easiest for me to understand..LOL.

Thanks in advance.

abrcrombe
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Well if the swirls are really minor, try polishing with XMT #1 and the orange pad. Should come off with a perfect surface.
Paint cleanser - I assume you are talking about the cleansing lotion and you want to use that AFTER polishing but before waxing. Don't use it before polishing.
Glaze - XMT glaze has been getting rave reviews and I think you will like it.
Wax - Souveran paste can't be beat really. You can use it with a PC, but no need since it is SUPER easy to use.

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 05:35 PM
So, then the process would be:

Wash
XMT 2 & 1 for Swirl Removal
Polish
Glaze
Paint Cleanser
Wax

Yes?

ScottB
10-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Wash ---- Clay --- Polish --- Protect

XMT is a polish ... and no need to use a paint cleaner after polishing. You should only use a glaze if using a carnauba based wax. Souveran paste is a great choice and works well with RMG.

alban61
10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Since this is your last good detail before winter, wouldn't you rather use a Sealant instead of the glaze and wax? Can always top the sealant with your Souveran.
Since my SUV sits outdoors 24/7, I removed the XMT glaze and NB wax this weekend and applied Poorboys EX-P sealant. It was getting a little nippy. Temps were 50 deg, with a 15 mph wind. I'll apply a 2nd coat of EX-P next weekend, and then probably top it off with PB Natty's wax. Sealants protection lasts longer than wax. About 4 months.

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Since sealant seems to last longer than wax, would it make more sense to wax, then top with sealant, or no?

alban61
10-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Since sealant seems to last longer than wax, would it make more sense to wax, then top with sealant, or no?

Sealant won't bond with wax. I know what you mean though. When I first came onto the Forum, I wanted to use the XMT glaze, then sealant and then wax. But that's a big No No. The sealant needs to bond with your paint.
Someone else like killrwheels can explain this better.

Surfer
10-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Since sealant seems to last longer than wax, would it make more sense to wax, then top with sealant, or no?Seal then wax, or you'll end up with a smear fest.

supercharged
10-16-2006, 06:41 PM
If you are looking for best durability sealant - Klasse twins is the way to go. Two coats of SG 12-24 hours apart in absolutely dry conditions should last you 4 months. Then top it off with liquid Souveran and you are all set for winter.
That's my plan of attack for my RL.

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 06:42 PM
OK. I'm glad I posted here, and thanks for all your help so far. So it looks like the process is going to be:

Wash - AG Foam Gun with a boars hair brush.
Clay - I have the WG somethingorother kit, and will use that
Swirl Removal - XMT 1 w/orange pad
Polish?? - Still unclear on what I need to do here..
Wax - Can you recommend a sealant to use as opposed to the Sov paste wax? With winter approaching, will this protect and last longer?

Question on Swirl Removal. If I use the XMT 1 with orange cutting pad, and determine that I still have swirls, can I go up to the XMT 2, or should I start with 2 and step down?

Thanks again.

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
If you are looking for best durability sealant - Klasse twins is the way to go. Two coats of SG 12-24 hours apart in absolutely dry conditions should last you 4 months. Then top it off with liquid Souveran and you are all set for winter.
That's my plan of attack for my RL.

Would Klasse replace the XMT and glaze steps, or is that in addition to?

ScottB
10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
swirl removing = polishing

same thing. Start with the least abrasive polish (finishing) and move your way to most abrasive (compound) only as needed. Pad choice can also help as light pads (finishing) and heavy or firm pads (aggressive). Then once the swirls are gone (car is then polished) you can move back down to the lightest polish and pad combo to jewel or gem the surface.

Sealants --- DP Shield Shine (green version), Poorboys EXP, Klasse SG, Wolfgang Concours

mrodriques
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
swirl removing = polishing

same thing. Start with the least abrasive polish (finishing) and move your way to most abrasive (compound) only as needed. Pad choice can also help as light pads (finishing) and heavy or firm pads (aggressive). Then once the swirls are gone (car is then polished) you can move back down to the lightest polish and pad combo to jewel or gem the surface.

Sealants --- DP Shield Shine (green version), Poorboys EXP, Klasse SG, Wolfgang Concours

OK. I think I got a bead on it now... Thank the gods I can work on networks, cause if I had to make a livin' detailing cars I would starve..

Wash with DP
Clay with the WG kit from ag.net
polish with the XMT and orange pad
seal with WG Deep Gloss paint sealant.
Wax with http://autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html, if there is something better on ag.net, please let me know.

Question. For the sealing and wax would I use the blue, or white pad, or does it matter?

Thanks for you help!

XterraOverload
10-16-2006, 07:08 PM
Yep I think you got it now!

alban61
10-16-2006, 07:14 PM
This is what EDGE pads suggest

White Ultrafine Polishing Pad This ultra-smooth polishing pad contains 80 pores per inch, allowing for fine polishing which creates a bold, crystalline gloss Use this pad to apply waxes, polishes and sealants. Safe on clear coats. 80 pores per inch (ppi)

But, why don't you apply by hand? It's really easy, and you can get into places your PC can't. Less waste of product too.