PDA

View Full Version : Clear coating higly polished metal??

cobraa
03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

This winter I decided to polish some of my engine parts to a mirror finish with metal green compound. Now, I want to protect the parts.

I have:

Wheel high temp clear coat
PB Wheel sealant
Collonite 476 ( I have the impression my pipe will turn yellow because it would melt the wax..)

What Should I do!?

Thanks a lot :props:

ScottB
03-04-2010, 11:20 PM
waxes and sealants are temporary. Clearcoat might leave high/low points and a milky appearance. I too have pondered this and still use the temporary solution.

Lasthope05
03-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Keeping them clean and well protected is the best you can do. When they get a bit hazy and dull you will just have to whip out the metal polish again. For metal parts in the engine bay you do not want to clear them. Even though clear coat is "clear" it will start to yellow with prolong exposure to high temperatures.

Matt
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Good advice is given by the above posters.

Collonite 476 ( I have the impression my pipe will turn yellow because it would melt the wax..)

I very much doubt this, if it does melt, it would probably evaporate rather than turn yellow and run down the metal.

You could give it a 50/50 try if you wanted to, because it's not too hard to remove the wax after you've applied it if you did find it turned yellow.

cobraa
03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Thansk for the reply.

I love detailing my car . so, I will just put 1 coat of 476 and one coat of WS and each or 2 week put a fresh coat of WS.

The problem I have right now is that when I try to polish my parts with my duragloss metal polish paste it haze soooo much and it's freakin hard to remove, I need to buff crazy. So I prefer to just rub it with Wheel sealant. that stuff doesn't haze my parts.