PDA

View Full Version : Utility Terry Towels

Jenn1270
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Does anyone else find it impossible to clean the terry towels they use to wipe tires and wheel wells down? Mine always get filthy and I just throw them away.

I know this sounds extravagant but I found some utility ones at Sams for 20 cents a piece. I figure if I use a rag a week, these will last me over a year. Not too bad if you ask me. And don't worry, they will only touch the tires and wheel wells. I would NEVER get them anywhere near my paint or wheels.

rwright
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Micro-Restore is supposed to work. I haven't tried this product yet, but for some reason I doubt it will release the stains. Terry towels do not like to come clean in the wash!

Have you tried the micro fiber towels at Sam's? I bought a pack of the yellow and the orange (at my Sam's they are this color) and love them!

Jenn1270
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Micro-Restore is supposed to work. I haven't tried this product yet, but for some reason I doubt it will release the stains. Terry towels do not like to come clean in the wash!

Have you tried the micro fiber towels at Sam's? I bought a pack of the yellow and the orange (at my Sam's they are this color) and love them!

I use the DP microfiber cleaner and I can't get them clean. I have not tried the microfibers. I kinda went nuts buying them from AG and think I am set for a while. My husband isn't happy about my addiction.

rwright
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I bought mine a long time ago to be honest. I'm not buying anymore MF towels until Detail Fest. I want to actually see and touch before I buy! I understand about the spouse thing, my wife picks on me a lot! I was shocked when I called her and said that I ordered Pinnacle SSII and some Hydro-Tech pads, she actually said "good, now you can make my car shiny"! It's a black Cobalt in case you're wondering and will be my first experience with my PC XP...

Rsurfer
03-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Just soak the towels in a bucket of APC overnight and wash with detergent. You can even add a little bleach to aid in whitening. I use the cheap Costco yellow towels and just soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with APC. Not all the stains come out, but they do get clean. After a couple washing I just toss them.

Jenn1270
03-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Just soak the towels in a bucket of APC overnight and wash with detergent. You can even add a little bleach to aid in whitening. I use the cheap Costco yellow towels and just soak them in a 5 gallon bucket with APC. Not all the stains come out, but they do get clean. After a couple washing I just toss them.

I will try the APC trick. It might be worth the 20 cents to just toss after a use or two. I don't feel bad about using a quasi nasty towel on the tires....the wheels are another subject.

BTW...why can you scrub and scrub your tires and when you wipe off the dressing have a nasty nasty towel?

Rsurfer
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
I will try the APC trick. It might be worth the 20 cents to just toss after a use or two. I don't feel bad about using a quasi nasty towel on the tires....the wheels are another subject.

BTW...why can you scrub and scrub your tires and when you wipe off the dressing have a nasty nasty towel?That's why I don't wipe after applying. I use a black applicator and then walk away. The key is thin coats...no need to wipe.

Matt
03-05-2010, 07:52 AM
I find MicroRestore to be pretty good stuff, very powerful and really cuts the grease.

The key is thin coats...no need to wipe.

Agreed!

Mike Phillips
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Mine always get filthy and I just throw them away.

That's why I have a category called Tatty Cotton Towels

See this article,

The 4 minimum categories of wiping cloths (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/21944-4-minimum-categories-wiping-cloths.html)

It's a given you're going to have cotton and microfiber towels in your collection that should never touch polished paint, but throwing them away is a waste when they can be used over again to wipe excess tire dressing of a freshly dressed tire.

The tire doesn't care if the towel is stained from previous use.

Check out the article and then get yourself 4 laundry hampers for your garage and mark them accordingly and only wash like cloths with like cloths...

:)

2010V8Colorado
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Spray stains with "Zout" stain remover; it really works. Then wash with micro-restore. Works for me.