PDA

View Full Version : pad cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

termigator
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
what do you use to clean your pads? Right now, I'm using Dawn detergent and /or Snappy to clean the pads. I have no problems with removing polish from the pads, but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

Mike Phillips
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
but removing sealants and waxes are a bear.

That's a good sign. If a wax or paint sealant washed out of your pads quickly and easily , you would be disappointed, that would mean they would wash off your car quickly and easily.

:D

richy
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
The key, I find, is to get them quickly into a bucket with some strong APC in it and let them soak. You don't want them to sit around for a few days and then try to clean them. Dawn PD is about the strongest stuff you can use to break up the wax/sealant. Wear gloves while using it.

ScottB
03-03-2010, 02:47 PM
DP Pad Rejuvinator always works for me, best part I can mix up as little or much as needed.

dublifecrisis
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Hot water rinse followed by Dawn PD (spray/rub/sit) for 15-20 minutes MAX. Then hot water soak in sink with FREE detergent with hand/soft brush agitation then machine wash gentle hot water with FREE detergent and a final cold water rinse then dry on a rack.

termigator
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
The key, I find, is to get them quickly into a bucket with some strong APC in it and let them soak. You don't want them to sit around for a few days and then try to clean them. Dawn PD is about the strongest stuff you can use to break up the wax/sealant. Wear gloves while using it.

Need a refresher. What's Dawn PD?:)

A4 1.8tqm
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Need a refresher. What's Dawn PD?:)

Dawn Power Dissolver :xyxthumbs:

I use Snappy Clean. I always rinse the pad under flowing water before going into thee cleaning solution.

Two bucket wash- fill a bucket with 4-5 inches of hot water and add some Snappy Clean to make a concentrated cleaning solution and a rinse bucket full of clean water. Agitate in the solution, rinse and repeat. Working the pad with your thumbs from the center-out under the solution (for me) seems to be the best method. Also I keep a concentrated mix of Snappy Clean in a cheap spray bottle to spray directly into troublesome spots, it works really well. If I had any more pads to clean at one time than the few and far between that I use for my own/friends cars, I would absolutely have a GG Pad Washer. :dblthumb2:

JohnHenry
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
termigator,

Here's a relatively big ticket item, but worth every penny, IMO:

Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer,Dual action orbital pad washer, foam and wool pad washer, rotary pad washer, Cyclo pad washer, Porter Cable pad (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-universal-pad-washer.html)

This thing cleans my pads... all sizes, on the DA or Rotary... better in 30 seconds than my washing machine does in a normal 30 minute cycle, and it doesn't damage the velcro backing. But, I think the real value in the Pad Washer system is that the pads are cleaned instantly, on the job.

I keep mine loaded with water and a few shots of whatever pad cleaner or APC I happen to have handy. I clean the pad washer about every two weeks, but have let it go for about two months with no problem. I'm a weekender... one or two cars per week, plus the family fleet. (The Grit Guard folks probably wouldn't recommend this lax schedule, but I'm just sayin'. lol!)

You may wish to consider the GG Universal Pad Washer as a long term investment in your detailing hobby/business. I haven't done the calculation; however, I'm sure that the GGUPW is paying for itself in pad life.

I'm located about an hour west of you. If you'd like to take the Pad Washer for a spin (pun intended), send me a PM.

Jay

belcherm58
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I will get one of those pad washers one day. There is no doubt in my mind they are the ticket for best care of your pads!

termigator
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the offer Jay. I would love to get the Grit Guard, but financially it's just not in the cards right now. That's a big snook BTW. How big?

JohnHenry
03-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the offer Jay. I would love to get the Grit Guard, but financially it's just not in the cards right now. That's a big snook BTW. How big?

Four dinners for two big! LOL! (Actually I don't remember the size of the snook. Probably should update my avatar!)

SgtDeckard
03-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I assume using one pad for an entire car is bad. With that in mind how often should I clean the pad while detailing? Also how do I know when to clean it?

5.4 Shelby
03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I assume using one pad for an entire car is bad. With that in mind how often should I clean the pad while detailing? Also how do I know when to clean it?
I ordered the grit gaurd pad washer. Should be here by the weekend. I have the same basic question. How do you know when or how often to you clean the pads? I assume that it differs depending on pad density and product being used. What I have been doing is changing pads after each panel.

How many buffing cycles are most of you completing before cleaning/changing pads? I am using CCS pads now. Plan to buy some flat pads next sale or BOGO.

Mike Phillips
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Umm... not really, depends upon what you're doing. If I was cutting a car using a wool pad on a rotary I would use one pad for the entire cutting process as long as it wasn't worn out before I started in the first place.

If you're talking about using a foam pad on a Flex 3401 or a PC or a Cyclo, then it's going to be faster and a more efficient use of your time to have more pads for the heavy cleaning or correcting step.

How to tell when it's time to clean our pad?

If you look at the face of the pad and you see a build-up of spent product and removed paint, then it's time to clean the pad.

If you're working on finish that is severely neglected, then clean your pad often.

What is the definition of the word often?

After each application of product
After every other application of product

I usually do the second option unless it's really hot outside and my pads are gunking-up easily and making the actual buffing process difficult.

How do you know when or how often to you clean the pads?

Did the above help?

p.s.

Is gunking-up a word?

:)

5.4 Shelby
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Did the above help?

p.s.

Is gunking-up a word?

:)
Yes and I think so.

I am not really seeing "gunking up" in the sense that there is a crust of product on the edges of the pad. The pad seems to start to drag a little. It doesn't even seem to be saturated. When I take it off the polisher, it gets a little built up product on the surface of the pad. I was actually doing 4 or 5 buffing cycles before changing pads. Now that I will have a pad cleaner (as of Thurs), I will clean every 2 or 3 buffing cycles.

Honestly that seems like a lot of cleaning, but, I will try it to see if the pads last a little longer.

Follow up question: How many cleanings before you change pads?