PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheels

Rsurfer
03-02-2010, 11:23 PM
What's a good way to remove very fine scratches off chrome wheels?

Mike Phillips
03-03-2010, 07:45 AM
I've read on a forum somewhere that there's a way to remove fine scratches out of chrome but I apologize that I don't remember where.

Chrome is a very thin coating and very hard, so finding away to abrade it to level the surface without,

Going through the chrome layer
Leaving scratches in the chrome layer from your process

Has always been the challenge.

Do some checking with businesses that offer chrome plating, I think that's how I found a company or a number of companies that offered chrome polishes to remove fine scratches. You might also check with the Eastwood.com company as they cater to antique and classic cars and might have a product for this issue.

:)

richy
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
That's a tough one...prolly why you got so many reads and only Mike's and my response. I don't know of a way to polish them out...I've used Menz 106 on chrome to clean it up before and it works great. But, I'd be afraid to try something like Megs 105 for fear it would put light scratches in it. On the other hand, what about trying to fill them with a product with filling properties and then seal that in with Collinite or DG 105 or something strong.

Mike Phillips
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
This guy "springer" pretty much sums up my experience exactly...

His is the second post,

How to remove chrome scratches : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums (http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/sheetmetal-bodywork-custom-painting/53723-how-remove-chrome-scratches.html)

The coating is too thin and too hard...

I've always read and heard about people being able to remove scratches out of chrome but never seen anyone walk the talk, just talk the talk.

:)

Rsurfer
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks Richy and Mike. I tried PB Black Hoe and a few other glazes, but I think it's the heat that's causing the fine scratches to re-appear. BTW I did seal the glaze with DG 105, Black Fire Metal Sealant and CG Wheel Guard with no luck. I will take your advice and call some chrome plating companies and see what they have to say. If they come up with some magic potion I will certainly post it. Thanks again.