PDA

View Full Version : My PC has just broken down after a few hours of use.

n17
10-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Well I bought a PC from AG after been reading on this forum for a while. By the way, I live in Thailand and shipping cost plus custom duty for the order was just horrendous. I successfully detailed my own Bimmer last week (using a step-down transformer). Then on the weekend while I was giving a go on my sister's CooperS (XMT3 at speed 5), the PC made a funny noise and the thing got slow down dramatically. I stopped the thing to check it the lead came out of the socket or what. Everything seemed fine to I turned it back on. Still didn't work. Then I stupidly try it harder at speed 6. The thing was heat-up and inevitably the smoke came out. I almost wet my trousers and then turned it off immediately. :o

I think it's gone now. So sad cos I had lots of fun on its first use. The cost of shipping it back to the states for repair wouldn't work. I'm going to have an electrician guy have a look at it soon. As you know, we don't have PC here in Thailand and spare parts are simply not available. From the symptoms I think most of the parts are gone anyway. Motors and everything. :(

Questions are:

1) Any idea what has just happened?
2) If I can identify what went wrong with it, would I be able to order spare parts from the states? If yes, then where would that be?

Thanks you guys in advance.

GearHead_1
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
I have read on one of the British detailing sites that some of the users had similar problems when using the step down transformer. I don't know why but I had just seen several posts on it.

FloridaNative
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Wow!!! I'm so sorry to hear that after you went through so much to get it. I would encourage you to talk to someone at Porter Cable and explain to them what happened in detail. They would have the most knowledge of the mechaninations of the PC and of the warranty details. They could better advise you of the next step. When you talk to them, please let us know what they say. www.portercable.com At the bottom of their homepage there is a "contact us" link where you can communicate with them via email. Best of luck to you!

GearHead_1
10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Wow!!! I'm so sorry to hear that after you went through so much to get it. I would encourage you to talk to someone at Porter Cable and explain to them what happened in detail. They would have the most knowledge of the mechaninations of the PC and of the warranty details. They could better advise you of the next step. When you talk to them, please let us know what they say. www.portercable.com (http://www.portercable.com) At the bottom of their homepage there is a "contact us" link where you can communicate with them via email. Best of luck to you!

That would be really nice if they would do that. I suspect however the minute they hear that it was used with a a power convertor they'll walk away. Never hurts to try however.

n17
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I have read on one of the British detailing sites that some of the users had similar problems when using the step down transformer. I don't know why but I had just seen several posts on it.

Well, first of all, many thanks to you and FN for a quick replies.

About the detailing site, any idea where that is? Thanks

FloridaNative
10-16-2006, 12:24 PM
I was suggesting that you contact Porter Cable directly since the machine has a warranty and they would be better versed in the terms and conditions of that warranty for your machine. www.portercable.com If you click on that link it will take you to Porter Cable's home page. At the very bottom of the page towards the right corner, you will see a link that says, "contact us". If you click there you will see a link where you can contact them online. Then you could describe your problem in detail to them and see what they say. I don't know if the converter is what caused the problem or not, but those kinds of intricacies would be better answered by a person from Porter Cable themselves since they are the manufacturers and they have the greatest knowledge about the machine. I wish you all the best of luck in getting your problem resolved. :)

n17
10-16-2006, 11:19 PM
I was suggesting that you contact Porter Cable directly since the machine has a warranty and they would be better versed in the terms and conditions of that warranty for your machine. www.portercable.com (http://www.portercable.com) If you click on that link it will take you to Porter Cable's home page. At the very bottom of the page towards the right corner, you will see a link that says, "contact us". If you click there you will see a link where you can contact them online. Then you could describe your problem in detail to them and see what they say. I don't know if the converter is what caused the problem or not, but those kinds of intricacies would be better answered by a person from Porter Cable themselves since they are the manufacturers and they have the greatest knowledge about the machine. I wish you all the best of luck in getting your problem resolved. :)

You're a superstar! Thanks. I've followed your kind advice and I'll wait and see what the people at PC would say about this.

Thanks again, dear. :D

NorahCRV
10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
You're right!! FN's da bomb!!! :applause: :applause: :awesome: Im the MAN :awesome: Im the MAN :awesome: Im the MAN :applause: :applause:

FWIW - it sounds to me like the transformer was not properly rated for the "step-down" needed & you may have burned out the motor :(

Good Luck with Porter Cable, keep us posted :)

bevbailey@twlakes.net
10-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I have found with reputable companies many times with defective products, they will pay for return shipping and often send a prepaid label to return. You usually have to ask tho.

White95DodgeRam
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
most companies will not send out return labels outside of the continental us unfortunantly.

n17
10-25-2006, 02:20 AM
I've sent two emails to PC without any response after a week. I've lost my faith in them already. I haven't sent the PC for an examination yet. Will keep you guys posted on development. Thanks all of you for your help.