PDA

View Full Version : Pollen and detailing

Pages : [1] 2

jopper
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, its that time of year. The spring is beginning here in North Florida and pollen is showing up on everything. In the next week, cars will be covered in pretty thick green/yellow powdery pollen. It will get into everything including engine bays and all over the interior. As one who likes to try and keep my car clean and shiny, this is time of year when I think it might be best to cover the car and hide for awhile. I have heard that pollen is especially bad on paint and is scratchy. I can see trying to wash and polish the car but there is really no way to keep the stuff off the car during the process and so I dont want to rub it into the paint.

So, what do you think, hide until the worst is over?

dublifecrisis
03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
If you're able to garage a car or cover it then I would certainly consider it. Pollen is nasty like you said. I started noticing it a couple weeks ago as well (also North Fl resident). I have 2 black cars in my driveway but both are DD so no hiding from the pollen. I believe what we're seeing now is the oak pollen?

I agree with you it is abrasive. It seems harmless because it's like dust and you can blow it off like dust but under a microscope you can see it has little spikes/barbs which helps it grab onto things and do what nature intended it to do. I wonder if a leaf blower to move SOME of it and a careful QD wipe is safe. I know it's ok for a light dust and as Mike P says "if the dust gets wet then it's a film and no longer safe to QD".

Back in the day I USED to handle pollen with a California Duster. It seemed to work pretty well.

sullysdetailing
03-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I would wash your car with the 2 bucket method and get a Foam Gun or Foam Cannon to loosen the dirt on the car before washing it. Also i would apply a good sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Four Star Polycharged. Then after 24 hours apply a good wax like Pinnacel Series II or DP Max Wax.

This should help protect your paint alot

rwright
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I would wash your car with the 2 bucket method and get a Foam Gun or Foam Cannon to loosen the dirt on the car before washing it. Also i would apply a good sealant like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 or Four Star Polycharged. Then after 24 hours apply a good wax like Pinnacel Series II or DP Max Wax.

This should help protect your paint alot

What about following the above products listed with FK 425? Since it is anti-static, shouldn't that help fight against pollen "clinging" to the paint? Just curious.

budman3
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
With pollen you want to remove it as easily and as invasive free as possible. Blowing the vehicle off first would be a good idea along with a water only rinse (pressure washer?) and then the foam gun with a 2 bucket method. Here is a closeup picture of pollen, you don't want that rubbing against your paint!

http://www.engineering.arizona.edu/news/media/image/matsci_pollen.jpg

jpegs13
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Pollen beats the heck out of snow,ice and salt. I'd give anything for some nice yellow pollen!

budman3
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Pollen beats the heck out of snow,ice and salt. I'd give anything for some nice yellow pollen!

I was thinking the same thing.... they get the yellow stuff, when we get the white stuff. Pollen doesn't hit here until late April, early May!

mikep288
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM

:iagree:

You beat me to it! I almost can't wait to see pollen again... Hell, I can't wait to see my lawn again!

rwright
03-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing.... they get the yellow stuff, when we get the white stuff. Pollen doesn't hit here until late April, early May!

Just avoid the yellow snow!

Back on topic, anyone know if FK 425 will help fight against pollen sticking to paint?

Shane731
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Just avoid the yellow snow!

Back on topic, anyone know if FK 425 will help fight against pollen sticking to paint?

Only one true way to find out. I went to Finish Kare's website, clicked on the Contact FK tab and asked them this question. I'll post back here when I get a response. I am curious on this as well, as I just recently purchased FK 425 myself.

rwright
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Only one true way to find out. I went to Finish Kare's page, clicked on the Contact Us tab and asked them this question. I'll post back here when I get a response. I am curious on this as well, as I just recently purchased FK 425 myself.

I was hoping for a response from a forum member because they won't try a sales pitch, unless you're Matt@Autogeek and recommending a tire shine product!

Just kidding Matt! Please don't ban me!!!!

Shane731
03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I was hoping for a response from a forum member because they won't try a sales pitch, unless you're Matt@Autogeek and recommending a tire shine product!

Just kidding Matt! Please don't ban me!!!!

Does that mean you do or don't like my response? :poke:;)

rwright
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
It's a great idea in fact! Contact the people who make the product, they should know.

Shane731
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah. Well, hopefully they'll get back to me on that question soon.

jopper
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
:thankyousign: Thanks all and hopefully the snow will begin to melt soon. I would like to know about FK 425.