PDA

View Full Version : Wheel wells

2010V8Colorado
03-01-2010, 06:14 AM
I would like a suggestion for what to use on rubber/plastic wheel well liners. Thanks.

Wax Gorilla
03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
A Product Called "Bare Bones" can be applied to all wheel well surfaces and undercarriage parts. I just make sure everything is super clean before application. It offers a moderate gloss but also a repellant so that new dirt and road grime cannot stick. You will use about half an ounce per wheel well on average so buy it by the Gallon and it will cost around 50 cents a car ! Under $30 for a gallon. It has a smell to it so do it in a ventilated area rather than a closed garage. It seems to bother my wife but I love the fumes :)
!

LincolnZephyr2006
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
If you want more bang for the buck you can also go with Megs hyper dressing which can be diluted

ScottB
03-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I use PowerClean from Optimum or Amazing Roll-Off to clean them. Only slight agitation is needed. I then use a cheap aerosol spray with some gloss or Griots Undercarriage to protect and brighten them.

akimel
03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
After cleaning the wheel wells, consider using Stoner Trim Shine. Its aerosol packaging makes it very easy to cover the wells. But Trim Shine may not be economical if you are detailing lots of cars, in which case consider Megs' Hyper Dressing, diluted to your preferred gloss (perhaps 4:1 or 3:1 for the wells).

richy
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I agree with Killrwheels...to clean them all you need is a good APC..Zep Citrus is cheap, available locally in North America and does a great job. To dress them, use either a tire spray (you can use an aerosol or any spray tire dressing, especially one that you want to use up) or you can use a product like Adam's undercarriage or Bare Bones. I have not used the Megs Hyper Dressing yet but that seems like the best way to go cost wise. When my Adams runs out, the Megs is what I'll replace it with.

calhoun1
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I usually just use Simple Green followed by the cheapest tire foam/spray I can find.

I do this for the wheels, tires, and wheel wells. After the foam, I wash the rest of the car and be sure to spray off the wells and tires, then dress the tires when done.

Bobby B.
03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
The Amazing Roll-Off works great to clean them. The Stoner Trim Shine works great to shine them up.

Mike Phillips
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I used the Amazing Roll-Off recently to clean my engine compartment and it did work really well.

The engine and engine compartment only have 4000 miles so it wasn't too grimy but still, it worked fast and easy... spray on... hose off...

Used it in the inside of the fenderwells, on the Dana 44, springs, shocks etc really worked well.

Amazing Roll Off (http://www.autogeek.net/amazing-roll-off.html)

:)

SouthernStyles
03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
My favorite is Megs HD i use it 4:1 on wheel wells.

I just spray them down and let it dry and it looks great.

I have the Griots UCS and i don't care for it much esp the cheap sprayer it leaked half of the bottle out

dood786
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Adams undercarriage spray works wonderfully

2010V8Colorado
03-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've just added Amazing Roll Off and Stoner Trim Shine to my cart for the next order. This detailing stuff has become addictive!!

Old Tiger
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I use Griots, I apply it with a garden sprayer. The wand lets you have max control over application. Spray on and walk away. Before Griots I used Opti Bond applied by a dedicated foam applicator.

kb2ehj
03-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've just added Amazing Roll Off and Stoner Trim Shine to my cart for the next order. This detailing stuff has become addictive!!

It only gets worse my friend

Matt
03-03-2010, 01:45 AM
I also use Bare Bones....tried it for the first time yesterday (thanks Rsurfer for the recommendation).

I cleaned the wheel wells beforehand with Megs APC (not APC +) and a solution of car wash shampoo (the same one I use on my wheels). Then followed with the BareBones.

Gotta say the BareBones looks lovely (except I had to drive through muddy roadworks today and there is now mud allover my car!! GRRRRRRRR!!!)

Griots Garage also makes a comparable product I believe.
Griots Garage Undercarriage Spray (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-undercarriage-spray.html)