PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Trim and Plastic

Pages : [1] 2

BobbyG
02-28-2010, 07:38 AM
As a vehicle ages, exterior trim and plastic exposed to the elements, sun, and repeated washing begins to fade and looses it shine and luster. What's the best product to use that restores its rich black look "and" will last more then a week?

Old Tiger
02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I have tried Mothers Back to Black, PB, CG Gel, Opti Bond, 303 , FK and Ultima. BTB was the only poor product IME (Dust Magnet).I use FK on running boards and Ultima on mirrors, etc. FK isnt slippery and is a nice finish. Ultima is more durable than the others IME. I want to try Megs Ultimate Protection next. The secret to trim is prep with a good APC. DP and Optimum are the best IME.

robbyboatz
02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Not to hijack your thread but what is best for the "fungus" that developes on the exterior rubber trim. Got a 06 Tundra with a huge rubber fungus issue. Thanks for any help.

howejt
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
I recently purchased Meguiars Ultimate Protectant and have been pleased with it on textured plastics and porous rubber (like the spoiler or bumper trim on my older BMWs). UP seems less likely to spot and streak after rain than Poorboy's Trim Restorer, plus covers more evenly with the first coat. UP also seems to be less oily to the touch than TR (even after multiple buffs). On my tests, TR tends to look a bit splotchy in sheen after some time (say a week) while I didn't note the same with the Megs product which looked like a fresh application. Results are going to depend on the material, there are many different trim materials and varying quality used on vehicles. Hard to pick just one product as some work better than others depending on what you are covering, especially after factoring in age and damage.

Jossy92
02-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I like UP and have heard that Poor Boys Trim Restorer is top of the line as well.

Kurt_s
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Robby,
I'm not an expert with fungus and may be way off base, but I've been around a laborary or two over the years. Fungus is often a nasty, difficult to kill living organizism.

Can you remove the trim and treat the trim away from the paint? If you remove the "food" that is feeding the fungus (organic material), you should "kill"or "slow the growth" of the fungus.

Non-mammal related, mildew and fungus are often killed with either bleach or citrus based products. I doubt you want to use 10% bleach (10 parts bleach and 90 parts water) on your car for 20+ minutes. Nasty to paint and metal.

Citrus oils are supposedly useful with mildew and fungus (probably depends on the fungus) for construction purposes. You might want to try a citrus based APC at higher strength and let it sit for 20+ minutes. These may harm your paint as well.

You're trying to kill an organizism so longer "wet" treatment may benefit your attempt. Other than that, I offer no promises, guarantees or anything else that it will work.

Then again, I use an athlete's foot fungus treatment on my feet every once and a while. Crazy as it sounds...

Good Luck...

sparkie
02-28-2010, 10:07 PM
robbyboatz
I don't know if it was fungus or what on a Honda I detail a few years ago. I used APC 4:1 and a small brush. After it was clean and dry, I used a protectant...

ScottB
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I like and use Poorboys Trim Restorer ... it appears the Ultima product lasts a bit longer and my next purchase.

BobbyG
03-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Naturally I do a search "after" posting the question. I see that Klasse AIO appears to be widely recommended for plastic trim too, any comments one way or another? Having never used it myself I was wondering who has?

Thanks for the information so far! :xyxthumbs:

Emile
03-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Klasse AIO will work well to clean the trim without staining it, but it will not do much to restore the original black look.

I am not crazy about all these different trim restorers out there because they are often water-based and will just wash off in the rain. I have heard excellent things from Poorboy's Trim Restorer, though.

Many people do not know this, but both Optimum Opti-Seal and Optimum Car Wax can and should be used on smooth and textured plastic trim. Both products will do nothing for looks, but a single application will provide water-beading protection for months on end.

kb2ehj
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
wow,

On my tests, TR tends to look a bit splotchy in sheen after some time (say a week) while I didn't note the same with the Megs product which looked like a fresh application.

I've had excellent results with it, I've experienced no streaking, blotching,

As you say might have something to do the with the plastic also.

Mark

Mirror Detailing
03-01-2010, 07:02 PM
This was actually discussed in the Show N Shine section recently in the Avalanche thread. Since Avalanches have ALOT of exterior plastic and trim that fades easily it was brought up that hands down the best restorer is Refinish Restorer. I ordered some today and be testing it this weekend when it gets here.

T Riddle
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
This was actually discussed in the Show N Shine section recently in the Avalanche thread. Since Avalanches have ALOT of exterior plastic and trim that fades easily it was brought up that hands down the best restorer is Refinish Restorer. I ordered some today and be testing it this weekend when it gets here.

if u dont mind me asking..where did u order yours from? bout to pick up some myself.

flawbolt
03-06-2010, 07:12 PM
BobbyG...plastic trim fades over time due to two reasons...the first is wax/sealant residue that leaves the plastic with a white chalky look...most of the 'trim restorer' products will enable you to clean the trim and it will look nice for a short period of time (Black Wow being one of the best)...the bigger problem is trim that fades due to UV radiation...a very common problem that many plastic manufacturers work hard to prevent. Nevertheless, trim subjected to sunlight will fade over time. "Forever Black" is absolutely awesome. It is actually a dye...and the only way you will be able to restore your trim with out actually purchasing new trim. Forever Black is not really recommended for use on very large trim as applying it uniform is challenging...for example, I wouldn't used it on a black bumper. But for window trim, door handles, etc., it is the best. It is also simple to apply...sort of like polishing shoes...and will easily last for many months (so far 8 months on my trim).

WRAPT C5Z06
03-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I like and use Poorboys Trim Restorer
Just received this stuff from AG, it's awesome!! What I like about PBW Trim restorer, it actually cleans the trim as it restores it, not just covers up stains.