PDA

View Full Version : New Microfiber washign routine worked out well.

Pages : [1] 2

Kris R
02-27-2010, 07:10 PM
There are a ton of threads on here about care for microfiber. I have been having issues with washing the towels because they get real rough and staticy and lint everywhere.

I used to wash in machine and dry in the drier. This time around I washed on warm not hot and let is soak for 30 minutes using DP pad/microfiber renew. I didnt use any other detergent. After the wash and rinse was done I ran it through a second rinse cycle with a cup of distilled white vinigar. Instead of putting in the dryer I draped each one over a hanger and let it air dry. When i woke up the next morning I was expecting rough, hard cloths. I got the opposite. They were SOFT, full, fluffy and dry. No static and no lint. I am very pleased.

Just thought Id pass it along.

CEE DOG
02-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I hang all of my towels also

TheGLL
02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
"I ran it through a second rinse cycle with a cup of distilled white vinigar" Why ?

Black Bart
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I tried hanging my towels but found that if I dry on low heat until just damp and then finish on air dry they come out softer and it is faster.
I have NO lint problems but I clean the dryer screen before putting my towels in.

CharlesW
02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
"I ran it through a second rinse cycle with a cup of distilled white vinigar" Why ?It has been said that the vinegar will help remove any soap residue. :dunno:

FWIW, For years, I have been washing my MF towels in warm water with either laundry detergent or Micro-Restore, usually a second rinse, occasionally with vinegar in the second rinse, but not always, and drying on medium heat in the dryer.
No problems, no lint, no rough hard towels, soft, full and fluffy.

TheGLL
02-27-2010, 09:35 PM
@CharlesW Thanks I didn't know about that.

cnfowler
02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
It has been said that the vinegar will help remove any soap residue. :dunno:

Yep. It will restore the absorbancy, too. I had some Meguiar's Water Magnet drying towels that after washing them many times, they lost their "water magnet" properties. They basically just smeared the water around. It was aggravating. I found a thread on MOL that recommened washing with hot water and using half the detergent you normally would. It was also recommended to add 1 cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle. I tried it out. The next time I used them they were like new. They really soaked up the water and no longer smeared the water everywhere. I've been washing all my MFs using the same technique ever since.

If you're going to use the dryer, dry on low heat setting unless, of course, you really like static.

Colin

gary748s
02-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I'll have to try the vinegar trick out...:xyxthumbs:

ScottB
02-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I think the jury is still out on vinegar ... several posts on other detailing sites suggest it breaks down fibers like bleach does to regular fabrics and often used in the garment industry. Others suggest it sets the color in and makes them fluffy. It would be interested to see/hear extended use and if premature demise of the MF Towels took place.

CharlesW
02-28-2010, 12:28 AM
The vinegar rinse isn't something I do every wash so I'm not really able to comment of how much damage regular, repeated use might do.
Some of my MF towels are probably 6 or 7 years old and I don't feel there has been any noticeable damage. I have only been doing the vinegar rinse about 3 or 4 years.
Several things could be a factor in the durability of my MF.
1. I never have grungy MF towels. Grunge jobs are for the many cotton terry towels I had before MF became available. That includes tires, wheels, wheel wells, engine compartment, door jambs & sills and the trunk. Leather and vinyl cleaning and dressing is also done with cotton terry towels.
2. I use lots of MF on a job so I have enough to wash each week. I personally think the longer dirt is in a fabric, the harder it is to remove.
3. If you stop and think about it, a hobby detailer such as myself, doesn't use towels with all that many products that have a bad effect on them. Drying, quick detailing, cleaning windows, none of those should leave a lot of chemicals in your MF. Polishes, paint cleaners, waxes, sealants probably do leave residue, but that's not usually done that often.

Matt
02-28-2010, 04:11 AM
I think the jury is still out on vinegar ... several posts on other detailing sites suggest it breaks down fibers like bleach does to regular fabrics and often used in the garment industry. Others suggest it sets the color in and makes them fluffy. It would be interested to see/hear extended use and if premature demise of the MF Towels took place.

Yea, I was also thinking about that. I guess someone needs to do a test, wash two towels many many times, but for one of them, use vinegar on the rinse cycle, and for the other don't.

But who wants to put in all that work and potentially destroy a microfiber?

Black Bart
02-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Like Charles I have only used vinegar for about 4 years but I DO use it every time.

I always rinse with warm not cold water and always do a second rinse.

When towels are stiff it is usually due to soap left from poor rinsing.
Another thing is use a liquid not a powder I have had excellent results with Tide.

I have never tried the rejuvenate stuff never had a need too if I want something stronger I just add APC.

It is easy to say vinegar harms towels but what is the proof that it does and what method of testing was done to come up with this conclusion.

Bunky
02-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Yea, I was also thinking about that. I guess someone needs to do a test, wash two towels many many times, but for one of them, use vinegar on the rinse cycle, and for the other don't.

But who wants to put in all that work and potentially destroy a microfiber?

There are some that use vinegar religiously without issues. I have used it at times without issues. Microfiber care is almost as opinionated as leather care.

My guess is vinegar means that people are using too much soap and the regular rinse is not getting it.

Given that microfiber is a woven 100% plastic product, it does not behave like a cotton materials. For example, microfiber works by trapping in the spaces between the fiber. Cotton actually absorbs it into the fiber itself.

Black Bart
02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
There are some that use vinegar religiously without issues. I have used it at times without issues. Microfiber care is almost as opinionated as leather care.

My guess is vinegar means that people are using too much soap and the regular rinse is not getting it.

Given that microfiber is a woven 100% plastic product, it does not behave like a cotton materials. For example, microfiber works by trapping in the spaces between the fiber. Cotton actually absorbs it into the fiber itself.Also depends on the water you are using.

The city where I live has a filtration system to remove minerals and treat the water.
While it is not nearly as soft as what would come from a softener it is good enough that I never installed a water softener mostly because I hate to shower in salt water just never did learn to like it but not using a softener does change things when it comes to washing clothes or towels.

Anyone who drys with a dryer try drying on low heat until just damp then use the air fluff setting to finish that will leave them nice and soft.
As to the OP getting lint clean the exhaust screen in the dryer I always clean the dryer before I put my towels in it. NO LINT PROBLEMS

ScottB
02-28-2010, 09:13 AM
As to the OP getting lint clean the exhaust screen in the dryer I always clean the dryer before I put my towels in it. NO LINT PROBLEMS

I too clean the lint screen before and after every session and feel it benefits with less/no lint. I also have found those dryer balls to help keep the static at bay.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/assets/product_images/230/10330116077429P.JPG