PDA

View Full Version : Smoked a pad.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Got a new GG ROP. Am used to an old style PC 7424. Per the articles by Mike Phillips, I was polishing on 6 and applying about 20-25 lbs pressure. Moving slowly across panel in a 2x2 area.

LC CCS 6.5 inch Orange.

After about 4 sections, I noticed the center of the pad was depressed. I took it off the polisher and the center was hot. I pushed on the center and it feels like the foam is destroyed in center of the pad. It is only about 1/3 as thick as the edges now. The pad surface itself looks fine.

What am I doing wrong? Too fast? Too much pressure? Is it just a bad pad (new pad).

TheGLL
02-27-2010, 02:57 PM
What is the brand of you pad?

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
What is the brand of you pad?
Sorry. I meant to include that.

LC CCS 6.5 inch orange.

Bunky
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
20 to 25 lbs seems like a lot of pressure.

TheGLL
02-27-2010, 04:13 PM
20 to 25 lbs seems like a lot of pressure.

Indeed.
I might be wrong but I think Mike his talking about 15lbs of pressure in his videos.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
You are using way too much pressure. If you have to use that much pressure with your da to try and remove defects you either need to try a different/more aggressive polish or step up to a rotary.

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I Will let up. I will go back and listen again, but, I think he said 20-25. Also, the XMT video says the same thing (I think). I will double check and post back.

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Intermediate Swirl Video (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/20119-video-intermediate-swirl-removal-porter-cable.html)This video says 15-25.

Not sure where I saw it from Mike (if at all). I was thinking it was a link to a link to link kinda thing. I'll see if I can find it later.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I would suggest picking up some Meguiars 105 and 205 and you will see a big difference on the paint. These two products are your best bet when using a da.

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I would suggest picking up some Meguiars 105 and 205 and you will see a big difference on the paint. These two products are your best bet when using a da.
I looked at my localstore this morning for the 105/205. They have quite a few of the M line, but, not those 2.

I will likely order from AG in the next week or so. I have also had some suggestions for MEnzerna 85RD. Will prob order both and test em out. I think I am becoming an official Auto Geek. Every thing I figure out leads to trying something else. Have spent $500 in the last 2 weeks. One of the orders isn't even here yet and I am already planning my next.

CEE DOG
02-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Intermediate Swirl Video (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/20119-video-intermediate-swirl-removal-porter-cable.html)This video says 15-25.

Not sure where I saw it from Mike (if at all). I was thinking it was a link to a link to link kinda thing. I'll see if I can find it later.

Heres the link from Mike: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/20021-tips-techniques-using-porter-cable-7424xp.html
remember to take into account the weight of the machine.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
I looked at my localstore this morning for the 105/205. They have quite a few of the M line, but, not those 2.

I will likely order from AG in the next week or so. I have also had some suggestions for MEnzerna 85RD. Will prob order both and test em out. I think I am becoming an official Auto Geek. Every thing I figure out leads to trying something else. Have spent $500 in the last 2 weeks. One of the orders isn't even here yet and I am already planning my next.

Menzerna 85rd is a finishing polish so you want next to nothing as far as defects are concerned when using it. Since it has very little cut at all, if the defects are too bad when using 85rd it will fill them in. This is why people will suggest doing an IPA wipe down after every polish step so you see the true finish.
Now the pictures in the other thread you started would be little to excessive to correct with 85rd in my opinion.

With the Meguiar twins you can dictate the cut of the product by the cut of the pad, then when you are pretty much defect free follow up with 85rd to amp the finish up that much more with a finishing pad.

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, I got out a new pad. Same kind. Orange CCS. Same polish. XMT #3.

Using a lot less pressure, I have polished the pass side fender and the hood. By 2/3 way through the hood, the pad is starting to show the same defect. By the end of the hood the pad is shot. I made sure I was using less pressure. Almost no pressure. Just enough to hold the pad against the paint. Slightly more than the weight of the machine. The center of the pad is getting hot and melting the foam.

I changed to a white pad and the Ultra fine polish (XMT #1). No added pressure at all. Machine weight only. This pad is also getting hot in the middle.

Could it be a problem with the new machine? This is the first time I have used it. I never had any of these problems with my old PC.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-27-2010, 08:35 PM
What gauge extension cord are you using?

5.4 Shelby
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
What gauge extension cord are you using?
Excellent question. I normally use a 12 guage. It is on a spool mounted to the wall. This fall I insulated and drywalled the shop so that I could work in the winter (and have a warm home for the Mustang). I did not get the walls taped or mudded. So the spool is not mounted. So I am using a smaller guage cord. I didnt even think of that until you mentioned it.

I did go back out and complete the hood with a Griots Garage pad and the #1 ultrafine XMT. They only have 1 polishing pad (orange). I dont know how much cut it has. I doubt much since they recommend it for their compound, mid-grade polishes, finishing polish, glaze and sealant. I suspect they rely on the polishes to do the cutting.

The center of that pad got luke warm, but, not hot. The others were getting hot. The first pad was actually smoking when I first took it off. I cut it in half and the center is all melted.

I will unspool my 12g and see if that helps. I think it is most likely the pads. What kind of pads do you use on a DA? I just ordered 12 5.5 CCS pads. I will likely send them back and try something else.