PDA

View Full Version : Polishing problems

I Shine
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I just bought a BLACK 1998 Volvo V70 T5. It is a one owner with very low miles but the paint has seen better days. It has some hail damage, swirls, scratches and bird dropping etchings. I will repaint this car next year. I have already wet sanded (1500 grit) away some stubborn pin stripes and polished it out with my Dewalt rotary and double side wool with #105. It come out great a little hazy but I am gonna polish it with my G110.

Today I clay bar the car and polished half my hood with #105, yellow pad, and G110. It looks much cleaner and shinier but removed very little defects. The polish was extremely hard to remove. I was working in the shade but the outside temperature was 55 to 60 degrees. The polish was so hard to remove I had to wipe it down with alcohol to get it all off. My biggest problem is that while polishing I uncovered several small white scratches. It almost looks like the paint is crackling but it feels smooth. Any tips before I finish the rest of this hood?

Here are some pictures. The driver's side is where I polished. Sorry about the qaulity it was dark outside.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/jguerra3235/DSCF6025.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/jguerra3235/DSCF6021.jpg

The passenger side where I didn't polish.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u224/jguerra3235/DSCF6023.jpg

Mike Phillips
02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I had paint cracks in the clear on a Honda Pilot that looked like that, there's nothing you can do to fix it except have the effected areas repainted. The cracks are throughout the layer of clear, not just a topical defect so more and more buffing, or more and more sanding won't make the paint look more and more better.

Chances are that if they are cracks in the paint then when you polished the driver's side you filled the cracks up with compound and polish residue.

Getting the compound and polish residue out of the cracks is tough.

:)

I Shine
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, thanks for such a fast response. This is what I was afraid of, cracks in the paint. :( I think this only gonna be a problem on the hood and roof. I'll do my best to try and make the rest of the car look good. Maybe I'll repaint it this summer.

Would polishing it in cold weather 55 to 60 degrees (yeah that's cold for South Texas) make the polish really hard to remove?

hydrohopper
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Would polishing it in cold weather 55 to 60 degrees (yeah that's cold for South Texas) make the polish really hard to remove?

You are either not working the polish in good enough or you are using too much. What polish are you using?

I typically find that if the chemical I am using is hard to remove is because I haven't worked the chemical in good enough.

I Shine
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm using #105. I'll try less product, that could have been my problem with it being hard to remove.

Thanks

hydrohopper
02-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Try Ultimate Compound

I Shine
02-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I used less product and that was the trick.

Thanks