PDA

View Full Version : MB dealer glass treatment, $1200

A4 1.8tqm
02-26-2010, 07:49 PM
My friend just told me that his friend just had the Mercedes stealer do a glass treatment on his new Benz. Vaguely explained, he said it was a $1200 process (I highly doubt the guy payed that though, of course the big number is sooo impressive LOL) and was applied then heated. He's never seen water repel off glass so well, "...like it was dry in the rain". I told him that's great, I bet it works well, but $1200 well? No.

I'm guessing it is another Stealership scam like the 5 year paint protection scam, which is just a sealant, it won't last forever, "more like paying insurance on the paint/glass" I think someone here said. Plus, when it does prematurely wear off will the stealer just reapply for free because you say or even prove the protection is gone? Doubt it.

What are your experiences with this type of "service" any validity to the glass treatment? TIA

agpatel
02-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Look up some of the silane glass sealants in Europe and even more so in Asia. They are getting darn good, G|teching (sp) has a great glass treatment and does not cost that much at all to get it here.

Nano revolution is here and good looking sealants that last 1-2 years are here. But $1200 for glass treatment is umm WAYY too much....something that cost $30-40 to buy (from Europe in G|tech case) that is a mark up like no other!

A4 1.8tqm
02-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info agpatel :xyxthumbs:

I know there is good stuff out there but the claims and prices at the Dealer is ridiculous!

Still curious if anyone has any feedback on the product/process from a dealer?

tlinder1
02-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Before you all go jumping to conclusions, let me verify that "IT IS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE" to get either window treatment or a special type of windshield installed that will definitely repel rain FOR A LIFETIME. I have a 2004 Lexus ES 330 that I bought brand new and to this day rain beads up and rolls off every time I'm driving in the rain. I don't know if it was a special treatment that was a dealer add on or if its due to a special type of material the windshield is made of or coated with, but that has been the case from the first time I drove my car in the rain. A little over a year after I had my car I had to get the front windshield replaced after a rock cracked it. Well the installer told me it would be a Lexus replacement windshield and not an aftermarket one. Well the first time I drove it during rain here in middle GA guess what? The rain laid on my windshield and became a safety issue to me because I was used to rain just "ROLLING OFF" with the old one.
I called the installer back to confirm that the windshield WAS/WASN'T a cheap aftermarket one and it WAS!!!!! I kindly had them come back out and put back on the original factory windshield and guess what? To this day 5 years later rain once again beads off whenever I'm driving in the rain. I've NEVER put any kind of rain repellent nor treatment on this windshield.
So to sum it up, you may want to do some research according to manufacturer or car company to see just what technology they use in/on their vehicles.

A4 1.8tqm
02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
..."IT IS VERY MUCH POSSIBLE" to get either window treatment or a special type of windshield installed that will definitely repel rain FOR A LIFETIME... ...To this day 5 years later rain once again beads off...

First off, first post! Welcome! Thank you for sharing your experience, sounds like something I need to read up on, but 5 years is not a "lifetime" YMMV. :xyxthumbs:

I guess my REAL intention of this thread is not only to find out whether or not the process done by the dealer is more than glorified rain-x, but also to find out if I can do it myself at a savings of ~$1170. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a high quality glass sealant that lasts and lasts I just don't want my friends (or anyone) getting ripped off. :)

cnfowler
02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
My friend just told me that his friend just had the Mercedes stealer do a glass treatment on his new Benz. Vaguely explained, he said it was a $1200 process (I highly doubt the guy payed that though, of course the big number is sooo impressive LOL) and was applied then heated. He's never seen water repel off glass so well, "...like it was dry in the rain". I told him that's great, I bet it works well, but $1200 well? No.

I'm guessing it is another Stealership scam like the 5 year paint protection scam, which is just a sealant, it won't last forever, "more like paying insurance on the paint/glass" I think someone here said. Plus, when it does prematurely wear off will the stealer just reapply for free because you say or even prove the protection is gone? Doubt it.

Feed back please
What are your experiences with this type of "service" any validity to the glass treatment? TIA :dblthumb2:

I fixed your post for you.

Colin

A4 1.8tqm
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I fixed your post for you.

Colin

Copy pasted to OP thank you very much for the correction...:urtheman: :D

ScottB
02-26-2010, 11:15 PM
I am thinking Aquapel applied twice annually for under 20.00 might offer a better value for some time unless you own the car for 60 years ??

agpatel
02-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Aquapel is so called first gen of nano glass coating, it works great and has good durability but the angle the water sits on the class and speed @ which it runs off is lower than the newer coatings. Newer styles moves water away at lower speeds and higher degree between glass and bead of water making it so the rain beads do not glare up in the drivers eyes.

Yes, Aquapel is great....but there is newer stuff out there is so much better....I hope AG may look into trying to get something in...i know VOC makes it hard to bring in for commercial selling and formulation.

Derrick
02-27-2010, 08:32 AM
I am thinking Aquapel applied twice annually for under 20.00 might offer a better value for some time unless you own the car for 60 years ??

Annually he could be saving 10 times that much in interest alone, assuming it's being financed.

Derrick

SwedenDetail
02-27-2010, 08:55 AM
The prizing is BS. Advice on second generation glass sealants is much appreciated.

Old Tiger
02-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Aquapel is so called first gen of nano glass coating, it works great and has good durability but the angle the water sits on the class and speed @ which it runs off is lower than the newer coatings. Newer styles moves water away at lower speeds and higher degree between glass and bead of water making it so the rain beads do not glare up in the drivers eyes.

Yes, Aquapel is great....but there is newer stuff out there is so much better....I hope AG may look into trying to get something in...i know VOC makes it hard to bring in for commercial selling and formulation.
Can you name any of these products?
TIA

agpatel
02-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Can you name any of these products?
TIA

pm sent.

cnfowler
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Copy pasted to OP thank you very much for the correction...:urtheman: :D

That's too funny!!

I'm interested in hearing more about this new generation glass treatment. I've used Aquapel before and wasn't wild about it.

Colin

The Critic
03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
That's too funny!!

I'm interested in hearing more about this new generation glass treatment. I've used Aquapel before and wasn't wild about it.

Colin
Me too.