PDA

View Full Version : Cowl Trim

Pages : [1] 2

zinc02gt
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I have tried multiple products with next to zero success now. I feel that it is the one thing lacking in my detailing really. It really bugs me that I have yet to find a 100% succesful solution.

I have tried full strength APC with brushes, I have tried 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, IPA and a few other things. I have not tried acetone because I'm afraid that it will eat the plastic.

I want to FIX the trim not cover it up with some dye. Any suggestions?

akimel
02-25-2010, 04:18 PM
You haven't told us what the problem is. It sounds like you have cleaned it as well as it can get cleaned. Maybe you just need to dress it and cover up the defects.

Rsurfer
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
You haven't told us what the problem is. It sounds like you have cleaned it as well as it can get cleaned. Maybe you just need to dress it and cover up the defects.
:iagree:Have you tried a heat gun?

zinc02gt
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Not to be harsh here, but if I was talking about cleaning trim don't you think that the problem would be that the trim has residues on it? Just saying...

Thanks for the help though.

:iagree:Have you tried a heat gun?

I have not. I just tried a vinyl eraser based upon my girlfriends advice. She's a painter/artist and I am quite shocked. It actually did some work. Slow work, but it's taking the nastiness off.

Why do you suggest a heat gun though Rsurfer? To try to loosen the bonded crap up? I'm using my personal vehicle as a dummy. I had some spots that were bugging me (where the trim folds under the hood; right on that edge)

Just remember that this stuff is no where near recent. They've been there since I've owned the car (2 years and a few monthss).

Shane731
02-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Any chance of some pics so we can see what it is you're trying to do?

zinc02gt
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I will have to get pics tomorrow.

christian900se
02-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I think people are wondering what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to remove contaminants that are not previous dressings? Are you trying to restore the color to faded trim?

Pictures will definately help. The heat gun essentially restores the plastic's original color, I am not exactly sure of the process that causes the plastic to respond to heat like that. This is assuming you are trying to restore the color to faded trim without using dyes or dressings:

YouTube - Restore faded plastics with heat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk8U5tKQXQw&feature=player_embedded#)

DLB
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
In akimel's defense you just very generally state that you have had no success and don't have a solution. To what?

I understand you want to FIX the trim, but what is wrong with it?

DLB

akimel
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Given that we don't know what you're trying to fix, there's no way for us to know whether using a heat gun might help, but here's a video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s]YouTube - Using a heat gun to restore automotive plastics[/video]

jjkacz
02-25-2010, 08:38 PM
The heat gun trick is amazing! I had no clue that it would work that well.

zinc02gt
02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow, thanks for the heat gun tip. Never would I have thought...

My problem is essentially old and faded. My car is 8 years old and has all the stock trim and all that other stuff. It's not terrible, but it's not great. I will give the heat gun trick a try.

christian900se
02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Oh, so you wanted to restore the trim then. Be very careful with the heat gun to avoid melting the plastic. After the initial treatment, certain areas might be a big lighter. Let it cool, and lightly go over the trim again in those areas until the whole piece of trim is even in color. This should last you 6 months at least if you leave it undressed, but if you protect it it should be a nearly permanent fix.

zinc02gt
02-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah I was thinking about the entire melting thing lol. I have some 303 for the protectant so after I get it nice again it should be safe...

Would using the heat gun have any other ill side effects other than possible burning?

DonMTV
02-26-2010, 02:05 AM
I have a 2003 Cobra, so this looks quite interesting in trying to restore the black in the cowl. Then topping it with some type of protection.

christian900se
02-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Yeah I was thinking about the entire melting thing lol. I have some 303 for the protectant so after I get it nice again it should be safe...

Would using the heat gun have any other ill side effects other than possible burning?

There are no downsides. The color will eventually fade again but that takes months and months, if not longer. That is also assuming you leave it unprotected which you won't so I would call this for all intents and purposes permanent.

Just be careful about the melting! If you want, start with light passes a decent distance from the trim and always keep the gun moving. You will be fine though, post some pictures!