PDA

View Full Version : Wrist hurts after polishing with machine

Pages : [1] 2

ziggo99
02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Ok, so about 2 years ago I happened to sprain my wrist while playing softball (friend landed on it while going after the same ball). I never put it in brace or anything, I just let it heal on it's own. Well, after polishing yesterday and sleeping, that same wrist feel somewhat like it did back when I sprained it. Would it be from applying too much pressure with that wrist, since I had that wrist on the handle and pushed down with it, or the vibrations or something else? Thanks for any help.

BobbyG
02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like your wrist isn't strong enough to handle the weight / torque of a machine. You could have injured it and it never healed correctly so maybe you should have it checked out.

Shane731
02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Get some wrist support gloves like this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/661%20wrist%20wrap%20lite%2007.jpg

AlPap
02-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Same thing happened to me. See an orthopedic sports doc. I got two cortisone shots and it hasn't hurt since. Good for the last three years.

CharlesW
02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
All good advice.
You might also try:
1. It it's a PC, don't use the handle. Just place your hand on the head of the machine to control it and apply pressure. Works for me.
2. Don't hold the machine in a "death grip". Grip it firmly, but don't squeeze.

Lrr81765
02-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Ok, now I feel like I did something wrong. My wrist is ok, but the rest of my body aches !!

First time using the Flex, 3 stage correction on a black Saab 9-5. It looks so nice now !

richy
02-21-2010, 05:38 PM
This is typical, especially in the spring for us weekend warriors who haven't held the rotary in a few months...those muscles get weak. I have 2 wrist braces I wear when mine bother me...they help tremendously.

ziggo99
02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the picture of that glove Shane, it looks like a good starting place. Does anyone have a particular brand they use and like?

Rsurfer
02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
If you sprained your wrist 2 years ago and it still hurts...go get it checked out. A wrist support may help, but that's just a band aid for possible serious problems down the road.

ziggo99
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, this is the first time it's flared up since I sprained it. I've been pain free since that time, but I see what you're talking about.

gewb
02-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Hello ziggo99 -

Serious question: how old are you? I ask only because I have arthritis, diagnosed a little over a year ago, but as I think back I actually had signs of it in my mid 30s.

What kind of polisher were you using? Rotary, Flex DA, PC, ???

How did you handle the polisher when doing the roof? Were you standing on a stool/platform to get enough height or was your wrist bent "the opposite way" when doing the roof?

Just how much "passion" were you putting into the polisher?

Regards,
GEWB

ziggo99
02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm 18, and I had the sprain when I was 16

I was using the Griot's Garage 6", the newest one

I was working a Honda Accord, but I stood on the door sill to work on the roof, working the roof in half's for each side and then would go to the other side, stand on that side and work the area I didn't get.

I wish I knew how much pressure I was putting down, since I didn't do the scale test to see, but I wouldn't say I had an excessive amount down, maybe 25-30 pounds?

Steven C
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Ziggo . I woulld probably say you were appling to much downward pressure and you wrist angle was just enough to strain it . Either adjust or remove your handle to just grasp the front of polisher . I don't believe vibration had much todo I just purchase the Groits and was amazed how little vibration it had compared to 7424xp which sold a month ago wasn't very impressed at all considering I have Flex 3401 & 603 Rotary & Dewalt 849 . A little advise would be to buy a stool or ladder,you"ll opening yourself up for accident if loose your balance and drop buffer it either hit you our the car and drop some damage. Beside the compound dusk will travel right to your interior adding to work. Having a good foundation will allow to control your buffer with just your arms and not your whole body. LOL :xyxthumbs:

:buffing: Steven

ziggo99
02-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I do have a 20" work platform I'll use next time. I had the handle straight up and down, maybe that had something to do with it.

Steven C
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I found handle was a bit to cumbersome before removing try polishing with with your hand through handle grab the front buffer see if find that is comfortable for or move handle forward a bit . How hard were holding to were fingers in the death grip that will also add to your wrist strain hold hard enough to keep control and downward pressure should just enough to slightly compess pad to much presure you can burn paint or on rubber /plastic bumber

Im the MAN
Steve