PDA

View Full Version : Help with removing deck/fence sealant from convertible top

Totoland Mach
10-15-2006, 08:15 AM
I recently did a detail on an 04' black Mustang GT convertible. The owner had parked the car in her driveway and her neighbor had a contractor spray the deck and fence (cedar) with some type of sealant. The spray carried over to the entire Mustang...a real mess!

The paint & glass on the stang can be remedied with clay bar (I tried a small area for her neighbor's insurance purposes), but I'm stumped about the nylon top. It has the most deck spray and is textured.

Any products out there or procedures? Soap and water do not remove the sealant (I've tried).

Toto

Reddwarf
10-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Oy! I wish I could help you here. Years ago before I knew anything about detailing I tried to save money by staining my fence myself. Overspray got all over the wife's car and I could not get it off. I took it to the car wash where they charged me 100 bucks. There went a good portion of my diy savings!

Have you tried DP Gel Wheel Cleaner? Or maybe Justin's woolite (10:1) mix? I detailed a mustang with a vinyl top that had a couple of black spots I could not remove. I tried DP Gel Wheel cleaner and the spots came out.

Good luck amigo!

ScottB
10-15-2006, 10:14 AM
303 and Ragtopp are pretty hardy cleaners ... but stain is not an easy removal on fabric. You might just have to be content with bringing paint and rubber surrounds, and glass back to snuff. Why not contact the homeowners insurance company of neighbor and put in a claim ?? How about the contractors liability insurance ??

Surfer
10-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I agree, deck sealant (we just re-did our whole back) is some strong stuff. I don't think any of the automotive cleaners like ragtopp etc would touch it on a fabric, maybe some stronger ones but that could end up damaging/discoloring the fabric. You can try, but I'd stick with what Killr said and try to file a claim.

Totoland Mach
10-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Yep, the contractor has business insurance (thank goodness for that!). My fear is that a chemical strong enough to remove the deck sealant from the top with destroy the top.

I did have a tech at the Ford dealer suggest something that I might try. Mechanic's Goop hand cleaner. He said he's used that stuff for some stubborn stains and had good results. I might try a few square inch area to see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the replies.

Toto

Surfer
10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Yep, the contractor has business insurance (thank goodness for that!). My fear is that a chemical strong enough to remove the deck sealant from the top with destroy the top.

I did have a tech at the Ford dealer suggest something that I might try. Mechanic's Goop hand cleaner. He said he's used that stuff for some stubborn stains and had good results. I might try a few square inch area to see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the replies.

TotoYou mean the green soap mechanics use? I think the trouble is decking spray is pretty damn strong (obviously to survive outside) and the fact that it's on a color fabric material. There are some checmicals that would remove/help, but in the process would more then likely damage the fabric.

Totoland Mach
10-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Surfer: yep, the very stuff. I believe Goop is a solvent-based hand cleaner (not sure though...it might be citrus based). It might be worth trying in a small area to see if that works.

I dunno though...I recommended to the customer to get an insurance agent for the contractor to view the damage first.

Toto