PDA

View Full Version : Can ONR really be used WITHOUT causing marring on black paint?

slammin86
02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
So a few years ago (2005) when QEW was all the rage I figured I would give it a try. I did one panel and was horrified at the marring it was causing. I threw the water out and proceeded to do an old fashion 3 bucket 6 mitt wash, followed by a blot dry with waffle weave microfiber drying towels. Since then I have not tried any kind of rinseless wash.

Now that I have a 13 month old, and time is hard to come by I am considering trying the optimum no rinse car wash this time. Which leads me to my question.

Can ONR really be used WITHOUT causing marring on black paint?

loudog2
02-20-2010, 11:44 AM
If it is really dirty, I would take it to a automatic spray wash to get the big stuff off. Also, you can buy a sprayer, and spray the car down(with ONR mix) in the garage to lubricate the dirt before wiping.

To answer the question. Yes, it can be done, if done properly.

Bunky
02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
I think any rinseless wash product like ONR can be used improperly such as a poor wash media or technique, etc so it is not always the product's fault but the tools and techniques used.

dublifecrisis
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I have 2 black vehicles and do ONR as much as traditional washes. If it's real dirty or the wheels etc need a good cleaning I'll do normal wash. If I clean up my car real good, then it rains or gets hit with sprinklers etc, then an ONR wash is perfect.

slammin86
02-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Can you share the procedure you use.

AeroCleanse
02-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Never had an issue with ONR. If its really dirty, squeeze out more solution.

LincolnZephyr2006
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is what I do to stay safe. I go to the car wash and pressure wash all the dirt off and drive back home in the garage and use the two bucket method. I use the grit guard in the water bucket and ONR the other without the grit guard. Now, to even stay safer...... I use the ingredients for a QD from the ONR and spray on each fender work on just to stay even safer. Doing this will ensure you are not causing any marring.... just change your rags often and use hot water.

CharlesW
02-20-2010, 03:34 PM
While I don't have a black car, I have used rinseless washes on a white one and 2 red ones for several years without causing a bunch of marring.
One thing I might mention, I have used ONR, DP RW&G, and QEW, all with good results. I would have no reservations using any of the three on my vehicles.

christian900se
02-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Yup, I have not used anything else on my car in a year or so and it does not add any marring. It did take me some time to get my technique downpat which involved making my working area much smaller and going from top to bottom in a few extra steps. All in all, it can definately be done and leaves great results when used properly.

Ps. I like the Cobra bone and Chenille wash media with ONR, using the two bucket method is the most crucial part to a rinseless wash however.

DejaVu
02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I think that ONR is the same as using any other car wash soap. It's not the bubbles that make your car clean and safe from marring, it's the media used and the lubricity of the wash. ONR doesn't make bubbles, this makes some people think it won't be as good. I've never used anything but ONR to wash my car and it has never caused a problem. I have even washed my vehicle scrubbing crusty mud off and it came right off. I've done things with ONR that would make alot of people cringe.

YankeeFan
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
For those that use ONR with 2 buckets how often are you replacing the water in the rinse bucket?

When I clean a dirty car (lotta salt) the old fashion way, I tend to empty the rinse bucket 3 times (initial fillup does roof and passenger side doors, clean water for driver side doors/windows and last fillups each for front and back).

After yrs of hearing of ONR I still only use it as 1/2 the soap (with 1/2 Duragloss) in my wash bucket. Still not brave enough to use ONR by itself.

Howard

CaseyS
02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I empty the rinse bucket one time when I'm done. However, I am doing a garden hose pre-wash on the wheels and tires in the driveway before moving my car in the garage to do the ONR wash from top to bottom.

One of the things I like best about ONR is that it's helped me be a lot more methodical. Doing a normal outdoors car wash, it seemed like I'd always go to dry some part of a panel and find myself wiping off dirt that I forgot to wash with the sponge. With ONR, my drying towel is almost totally clean when I'm done. Washing the car in small sections just makes it easier to keep track of what you're doing.

bmw5541
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Simply put, IMHO, this is the absolute best detailing product ever made. I use it all the time. I also spray ONR at QD strenght and then clean as all others have mentioned. I use the 2BM with a Lowes Grout Sponge. Dr. G from Optimum recommends using a plush MF for best results though. Never had a problem with ONR, and will continue to use it for a long time:dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

Going Mobile
02-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I also have only good things to say about this product. :dblthumb2:
Common sense should be your guide. For me, if the exterior has got an "extra crispy" coating due to the elements, etc., you should saturate or presoak in some form. I also use the 2BM, both buckets w/GG's, using MF mitts (sometimes using two), and have recently started drying with a Cobra 600 or what used to be a Shamrock. IMO, any particles left should get picked up by the thicker MF towel. Always check the wash media, sometimes you have to go over the same panel 2-3 times, but either way, the ONR should protect you.