PDA

View Full Version : Kris Vs Microfiber. The gloves are coming off!!

Kris R
02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey guys,

I'm severely getting my butt kicked by microfiber. I am a VERY busy guy and have spent way more time on microfiber reading than I care to. Before I buy any more, I need to get a handle on this linting problem Im having.

I was sent these green THICK microfiber cloths from AG and I love them. I use them solely to remove wax. They are awesome. But I was waxing a black Benz the other day and every swipe left so much lint I had to abandon them. I used a MF cloth that I have only washed ONCE in a 5 gallon bucket of water with DP pad/microfiber rejuvinator and then rinsed/spun in machine, and dried on LOW heat and they STILL LINTED UP!

I had a pack of new cloths that I picked up at AutoZone and had to use those because they were new, soft and didnt lint. Worked great. But I dont want to have to buy new MF every time I do a car.

If I hang dry MF how do I get them to be soft like new again??

Im so frustrated with this.

Kris R
02-19-2010, 05:29 PM
ok...30 lurkers and no replys. We all use microfiber so let me know how you wash and dry your stuff or what Im doing wrong before I go broke. Thanks

bigdawg
02-19-2010, 05:44 PM
I havent bought any from AG, but I use the cheap ones from costco and wash them with reg. laundry soap. I use the dryer set on air dry. I have a 08 black truck and never seen any lint on the paint. I just got a new windsheld put in and havent clayed it yet and noticed some lint when I cleaned it. My old windshield was clayed and had no lint left behind when I cleaned it. Maybe Im just lucky and havent scratched my paint using the cheap ones.

Shade Tree
02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I havent bought any from AG, but I use the cheap ones from costco and wash them with reg. laundry soap. I use the dryer set on air dry. I have a 08 black truck and never seen any lint on the paint. I just got a new windsheld put in and havent clayed it yet and noticed some lint when I cleaned it. My old windshield was clayed and had no lint left behind when I cleaned it. Maybe Im just lucky and havent scratched my paint using the cheap ones.

+1

The only time I have ever had lint issues is when a girlfriend had washed the MF using fabric softener. Never any issues otherwise.

Costco has a bundle of 30 (?) for like $15 per pack ........... crazy not to buy them. They're fairly thick and larger than AZ rags.

Slava
02-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I use Oxy Clean for all my MF towels. I do get some linting from green Cobra towels but not that much.

sullysdetailing
02-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I would recommend 2 MF for you

Cobra Deluxe Junior - Awsome for taking wax and AIO products off the car. I bought 2 3-packs and have used them for about 2 months with no problems. I used DP Mirco Reju. and they work great.

Cobra Miracle Towel - It take off polish and compound with ease even when M105 cakes up. I have been using these for 2 months now cleaning them the same way and have not had one problem yet.

Old Tiger
02-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Chris, The Shsmrocks are not a good choice for wax removal. The best Cobras for wax removal are the Indigos or Arctics. You want a tight knap for wax removal. I have a dozen Shamrocks. I use them for QD's or spray wax. An all purpose MF like Sam's, Costco. etc. is better for wax removal than a Shamrock, IMO. I wash my Shamrocks on a normal wash with double rinse and dry on medium heat which is NOT recommended, but mine dont lint FWIW. Hope this helps.

Kurt_s
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Kris, you are not alone. There have been a couple recent threads regarding MF linting. Some guys report no issues at all. If you read the threads, the issue could be by towel type, specific towel or lot specific.

I was told years ago to never wash my soiled towels the in home washer, otherwise the chemicals would get into the clothing and bath towels. I wash soiled MF towels by hand and segregate by level and type of soil. Since I don't do this for a living, it's manageable.

Unfortunately, I threw my unused, Christmas present AG MF towels into the washer at the same time (only new MFs) as I wanted to try my new treasure. I ended up with towels that left small lint specs and filaments that were hard to remove from windows and paint. I had to break out some older, hand washed MF towels to complete the job. I am rewashing everything by hand again as I use them, and hope that the linting issue will go away.

I briefly spoke to AG customer service about my experiences, but didn't know which MF towel (MF towel kit plus BOGO arctic whites) was the culprit. I have actually been expecting a "How to remove lint from MF towels" on the forum for the past couple weeks.

Maybe Meghan can help here??

dublifecrisis
02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I honestly think something has either changed in the production OR our hunger for thicker plusher towels has led us to less desirable results. If a good 70/30 towel doesn't scratch and does the job why are we so excited when bright green towel is half an inch thick and feels like a couch from the Ed Sullivan show? I've seen some pretty bad linting from these thick towels like Shamrocks but not the 530's which IMO are plenty thick enough.

tahoesallaround
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I've read a couple posts by others that have had linting issues with the shamrocks, however, I have 4 of them that I use for QD and have not seen any issue with linting. I've washed them like Old Tiger, in the normal cycle, but I dry them on the low (air fluff) cycle at least half a dozen times and they're still going lint free.

ScottB
02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
there are so many different reasons why someone could be experiencing linting, its hard to answer correctly. Cleaners, drying, driers and more can all be culprits. If you experience it with ALL MF towels after first washing then you gotta dig deeper to see how it could possibly effect all brands. I tend to hear/see it most with the ultra thick versions from each maker.