PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun dilution question

Zatrekaz
02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Just ordered a Half Gallon Foam Gun. The non-Pressure Washer kind. I use Optimum Car Wash soap. It calls for 1oz per gallon.

So should I fill the half gallon gun up and use 1/2oz of optimum to get it correct while setting the adjuster on the gun to 1oz Per Gallon?

Also, I plan to buy some Oprimum No Rinse to add to everything when washing. Should I add just 1oz to this mixture?

Shade Tree
02-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Just ordered a Half Gallon Foam Gun. The non-Pressure Washer kind. I use Optimum Car Wash soap. It calls for 1oz per gallon.

So should I fill the half gallon gun up and use 1/2oz of optimum to get it correct while setting the adjuster on the gun to 1oz Per Gallon?

Also, I plan to buy some Oprimum No Rinse to add to everything when washing. Should I add just 1oz to this mixture?

I would go ahead with adding the 1 ounce. It isn't going to make a difference other than the suds may be thicker. An ounce is a small enough amount that you won't be wasting anything either.

Zatrekaz
02-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Sounds good then. Should be using no more than 4-5 oz per wash this way. I am hoping the foam gun lives up to the hype :xyxthumbs:

richy
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I think the ONR will limit the suds you get in the foam gun...I tried adding it before and did not like the results. If you do a 2bm wash after, add a bit to that as it softens the water and adds lubricity.

Zatrekaz
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
2bm?

In that case I can leave the ONR out of the foam gun and just put it in the wash bucket. Seems you still need a wash bucket with the foam gun anyways.

richy
02-19-2010, 10:14 PM
2bm?

In that case I can leave the ONR out of the foam gun and just put it in the wash bucket. Seems you still need a wash bucket with the foam gun anyways.

2bm= 2 bucket method. I use my foam cannon as an initial step to loosen up mud or really dirty surfaces that I just don't feel comfortable only using a mitt on.

Zatrekaz
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Ah yes. Well the plan is to use the foam gun to put a good layer on each panel, then use my mitt and wipe/spray in the path of the mitt. The mitt will be presoaked in the bucket of soap as well.

kronos
02-20-2010, 01:29 AM
So a good plan sounds like:
Foam Gun/pre-soak car,
2bm w/ONR in soap bucket.

Don't forget to use sheeting method, blower and QD to dry your vehicle. Holy moly, that's a part time job. Im the MAN

mchess1
02-20-2010, 07:57 AM
So a good plan sounds like:
Foam Gun/pre-soak car,
2bm w/ONR in soap bucket.

Don't forget to use sheeting method, blower and QD to dry your vehicle. Holy moly, that's a part time job. Im the MAN

Going with Kronos on this one, when using the foam gun I put the ONR in the bucket not in the gun. It really knocks down the suds out of the gun which is the reason I bought the gun.

Zatrekaz
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Whats the sheeting method?

Heres my idea on a process:

Rinse the car, cover with foam gun, use 2bm with a wash mitt and using the foam gun in front of the mitt's path, rinse, blower, and dry.

Now, my other question. I hear people saying to use Quick Detailer with the waffle weave. Does this mean spray a small ammount of QD where there is water, then go over it a few times with the WW towel?

Foam gun should be in tomorrow.

Emile
02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I use 2-4oz of car wash soap and fill the rest with water, then set on the second strongest setting and start foaming. Skip using ONR in the foam gun, it will reduce the suds/foam.

Here's a nice lil tip you may like:
After washing and rinsing the vehicle, refill the foam gun with 2oz of ONR and the rest water, put it on the second strongest setting again, and spray down the whole car with this solution. After doing this, dry the entire car with waffle weave towels as you normally would. It's like using a QD as a drying aid without having to go around with a spray bottle and spraying everywhere...it will reduce water spots and make drying faster and easier. :xyxthumbs:

A4 1.8tqm
02-23-2010, 02:52 PM

For the final rinse remove any attachments from the hose and let the water flow out onto the car. Start at the top and work your way down with as little splashing as possible. If your car has a good wax/sealant layer it's possible to leave the car nearly dry using the sheeting method. I cut off the last two feet from an old hose and add a quick connect adapter (all your hoses and accessory's are on quick connects, right?) for easy "sheeting method" rinsing with the smoothest flow of water.

Now, my other question. I hear people saying to use Quick Detailer with the waffle weave. Does this mean spray a small amount of QD where there is water, then go over it a few times with the WW towel?

Yes, a light mist on the panel before you wipe it and, if necessary, a final wipe down with a new towel. It adds a little lubrication to help in the fight against swirls and amps up the shine, I like FK 425. :xyxthumbs:

Here's a nice lil tip you may like:
After washing and rinsing the vehicle, refill the foam gun with 2oz of ONR and the rest water... ...it will reduce water spots and make drying faster and easier. :xyxthumbs:

I like it! Sounds like a good alternative to the sheeting method. Now I just need a foam cannon :work:

kronos
02-23-2010, 05:17 PM

Heres my idea on a process:

Rinse the car, cover with foam gun, use 2bm with a wash mitt and using the foam gun in front of the mitt's path, rinse, blower, and dry.

Now, my other question. I hear people saying to use Quick Detailer with the waffle weave. Does this mean spray a small ammount of QD where there is water, then go over it a few times with the WW towel?

Foam gun should be in tomorrow.

Sheeting method is allowing water to run from the water hose without any attachments. Because of the properties of water, when you let water flow it'll bond together and sheet off the car (think of beads of water and why they stick together). You'll sheet a large percentage of water off your car this way and reduce the amount of time and towels needed to dry your car.

Scroll down the page and look at step #4. The picture is an example of "sheeting".
Car Wash Guide, Car Wash how to - easy steps to shampoo and dry your vehicle using paint-safe mitts and towels, plus sponges, the Grit Guard and (http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html)

...Here's a nice lil tip you may like:
After washing and rinsing the vehicle, refill the foam gun with 2oz of ONR and the rest water, put it on the second strongest setting again, and spray down the whole car with this solution. After doing this, dry the entire car with waffle weave towels as you normally would. It's like using a QD as a drying aid without having to go around with a spray bottle and spraying everywhere...it will reduce water spots and make drying faster and easier. :xyxthumbs:

Now that sounds like an idea. I think I'm going to try that with my next wash. Thanks for the tip.

kronos
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
For the final rinse remove any attachments from the hose and let the water flow out onto the car. Start at the top and work your way down with as little splashing as possible. If your car has a good wax/sealant layer it's possible to leave the car nearly dry using the sheeting method. I cut off the last two feet from an old hose and add a quick connect adapter (all your hoses and accessory's are on quick connects, right?) for easy "sheeting method" rinsing with the smoothest flow of water.

Yes, a light mist on the panel before you wipe it and, if necessary, a final wipe down with a new towel. It adds a little lubrication to help in the fight against swirls and amps up the shine, I like FK 425. :xyxthumbs:

I like it! Sounds like a good alternative to the sheeting method. Now I just need a foam cannon :work:

Geez, I didn't see your post. Do you hear an echo? :laughing: