PDA

View Full Version : Okay, which hot water extractor?

mcpp66
02-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Okay guys, I'm looking over what may be my next toy. What do you guys think, this one:

Aztec Hot Rod Hot Water Extractor, carpet cleaner, auto detailing equipment, carpet extractor, carpet spotter (http://www.autogeek.net/aztec-hot-water-extractor.html)

or this one?

Durrmaid Hot Water Carpet Extractor Carpet Cleaner, floor cleaner, carpet shampooer, rug cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/durrmaid-mini-carpet-extractor.html)

zinc02gt
02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Unless you are running a full business, I wouldn't get one of those IMO. The Bissell Little Green Machine ProHeat is just fine for 90% of the work you will come across and can easily be found for $100 or so. I have one and am completely satisfied with it.

mcpp66
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Oh, it can steam clean the carpets?

zinc02gt
02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes, and very well. I love it man. The only drawback I see from it is that small resevior tank, but I did my entire interior with only one container of solution. I never had to drain it either. I did every bit of my car including the trunk, but then again I have a small interior. If you have a badly soiled interior or a larger vehicle I could see you doing multiple solution tanks.

bill walsh
02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
no you can use a vapor steamer for that

Showroom Shine
02-18-2010, 11:27 AM
If you are mobile ,I would suggest the Aztec Hot Rod Hot Spotter. It is a bit pricey,but it will do the job. It also heats the water in 12 minutes. I prefere hot water for mats and carpets. Just cleans better to me! I have heard nothing but bad reports on the Durrmaid model.

adudley88
02-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I have the Durmaid and so far so good. I probably wouldn't pay that much for it though. I got it barely used for $350. I used the Bissel LGM before this and it also worked well. I think you could get by with the LGM if you don't want to fork out the cash for an extractor.
-Ash

mcpp66
02-20-2010, 10:20 PM
You guys convinced me. I'm going to save my cash and get a Bissell.

Lilskeezer
02-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I agree with the others in saving your cash and getting a Bissell. I purchased an Aztec, and although it does a "good" job, I honestly find using either Folex or DP's stain pretreater combined with a little elbow grease gets great results that are not far off from those with the Aztek. I have only been detailing for about 6 months and I definitely feel I jumped ahead a little too quickly by purchasing this HWE.

Driven Auto Detail
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST the Durmaid. Unfortunately, my Durmaid turned into a $700 paper weight after the pump failed. I talked to the owner and he would not warranty the part so I had to buy a new pump. I was told it was easy to install, but it was far from easy. I've also heard other bad stories about the Durmaids as well.

After this, I did some more research and found out that the Durmaid is just a knock-off of the Aztec. With that being the case and in need of an extractor, I purchased an Aztec. The quality of the machine was evident as soon as I opened the box. The Aztec is far superior to the Durmaid in every aspect.

If you're going to buy an extractor, save yourself the time, headache, and money by buying the Aztec.

proshine2009
02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
mytee 6 gal here ...i bought it when i started and ive never regretted it

mcpp66
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
For my needs I think the Little Green Bissell will suffice. But if I ever do need an HWE I'll remember to go with the Aztek.

DOlmsted
02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
I actually put a thread out about this a few weeks ago. heres my thoughts on the LGM. I have one and if you are doing anything more than your own vehicles DON"T BUY IT!
Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
Price $100-$200 dollars with solution
Light weight
Very easy to use
it does a decent Job
Good for a home owner doing his own vehicles
Cons:
resevoirs are small Less than half a gallon big vehicles or very dirty interior will require multiple fills and emptys
the hose is short 2-3 feet you have to put the machine almost in the car for certain cleaning (very annoying)
sprayer switch is poor, I have had to take the handle assy apart to fix it several times and it still doesnt work right!

I have this peice of equipment and I plan to buy a pro grade machine as soon as I can afford it I wouldn't recommend spending the money save your $$ till you can get one of the better machines unless you are only doing 1 or 2 cars a year
~Dave

Showroom Shine
02-23-2010, 07:41 AM
I actually put a thread out about this a few weeks ago. heres my thoughts on the LGM. I have one and if you are doing anything more than your own vehicles DON"T BUY IT!
Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
Price $100-$200 dollars with solution
Light weight
Very easy to use
it does a decent Job
Good for a home owner doing his own vehicles
Cons:
resevoirs are small Less than half a gallon big vehicles or very dirty interior will require multiple fills and emptys
the hose is short 2-3 feet you have to put the machine almost in the car for certain cleaning (very annoying)
sprayer switch is poor, I have had to take the handle assy apart to fix it several times and it still doesnt work right!

I have this peice of equipment and I plan to buy a pro grade machine as soon as I can afford it I wouldn't recommend spending the money save your $$ till you can get one of the better machines unless you are only doing 1 or 2 cars a year
~Dave
Thanks for the honest answer Dave! I did alot of research before I purchased my Aztec. I am glad I made the correct purchase.Thanks to the good advise here on AG!Im the MAN

HotRod
02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I have the Aztec and the bissell extractor. The Aztec's water pump went out and I needed something as a backup extractor on detail jobs. So I bought the bissell, and it works ok, but it sucks to use it on a daily basis. So, I bought a new pump for my aztec(about $40), and put it on and have not had any other problems with it as of yet. I used to work for a Dodge dealer in the detail department and our boss would buy these bissell machines for us to use, but they would break down in 3-5 months. And we would just get a new one, not sure why he just did not invest in a professional extractor.