PDA

View Full Version : Estimate for big vehicles

Pages : [1] 2

Xcessiv
02-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm mainly detailing sports cars as a hobby and somebody asked me approximately how much I'd charge for his Chevrolet Avalanche.

By experience, how much more time in % do you spend on such a big vehicle in comparison to a Mustang or Corvette?

Xcessiv
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Ho, that would be for a full polish on a black truck w/ 99% correction.

dragster
02-15-2010, 07:54 PM
6 to 8 hours for the outside. I would price it from $350 an up.

VR8
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
By yourself? 8 hours for a full correction (3 step process)...at least. It would translate to about 25% more time.

zinc02gt
02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
By yourself? 8 hours for a full correction (3 step process)...at least. It would translate to about 25% more time.

You can do an SUV/Truck with wash, proper prep, full correction, and LSP in 8 hours?

Not trying to say it's BS, but you must be scootin along on that paint man :buffing:

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-16-2010, 12:21 AM
You can do an SUV/Truck with wash, proper prep, full correction, and LSP in 8 hours?

Not trying to say it's BS, but you must be scootin along on that paint man :buffing:

I agree, there is no way to do a correct three step in 8 hours.

Xcessive, is the plastic painted or bare?

JonM
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM

he did say "at least"

detaildave
02-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Alot of real estate their & for a proper 3-step you'll earn every penny of the $350.00.

Mike Phillips
02-16-2010, 08:42 AM
6 to 8 hours for the outside. I would price it from $350 an up.

From start to finish, as in starting by washing the Avalanche, to finishing when you make the final wipe, if you're doing a multiple step process I would guess around 12 hours. If you're removing swirls, then just the correction step over all the painted panels is going to take 4-6 hours and maybe longer, depends on how perfect you want to make the paint.

At least 25%

Alot of real estate their & for a proper 3-step you'll earn every penny of the $350.00.

I agree.

If this Avalanche has any type of black, pebble textured trim, be sure to tape it all off so you don't have to worry about getting any polish residue on it.

Also, if this is a "Daily Driver" and filled with swirls and scratches, ask yourself,

"How did it get this way to start with?"

If it's from the way the owner takes care of it then that's okay because it is what it is, but don't get caught up into putting a show car finish on it if it's just going to get all swirled and scratched-up again because of they way they take care of it.

I had a wealthy cattle farmer in Oregon hire me to buff out his new Ford truck one time, he was really proud of his truck but in a short period of time the paint was completely scratched up from driving around in muddy fields taking care of the farm.

I buffed it out, it looked brand new. In a week or two it was back to being covered in mud. He had his hired hands wash it, you can only imagine that wasn't done to AG standards. I was paid well for the job but I could see that my services were mis-matched to the customer. I could have just used a one-step cleaner/wax and he would have been just as happy and saved about a $150.00 (I think I charged him $300.00 just for the outside paint and this would be about 20 years ago).

Just something to consider...

:)

dragster
02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Starting at 350 then of course you have to see the suv. You cant give a price until you see it. Hope this clears thing up. Most people who drive the car everyday won't pay for a 12 hour detail. Yes i can do a full correction in 8 hour. Just have to know what your doing. You cant do a full detail with a Porter Cable.

VR8
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM

Yeah, you're right. I suppose I was still thinking in terms of two people working on it (like is my normal case). One person = 10 hours minimum, probably 12. Wouldn't be unheard of to take 14 if it's trashed.

dragster
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
reread my last post.

zinc02gt
02-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah, you're right. I suppose I was still thinking in terms of two people working on it (like is my normal case). One person = 10 hours minimum, probably 12. Wouldn't be unheard of to take 14 if it's trashed.

I figured that that was what you meant after thinking about it. 10-14 sounds about right for a single person if it is in the normal vehicle condition.

sullysdetailing
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
I would say give him a call back and tell him $450 if he says thats to much money lower your price to $400 if that is still to much for him tell him the lowest you will go is $350. For 12 hours of work that is $30 pe hour. That is fairly cheap for a 3 step process. Most eople will charge between $60-$80 and hour. Tell him that the going rate is $60-$80 and hour but you will do it for $30 (12 hours). He will think he is getting a great deal because at $75 and hour he would be paying $900 for the 3- step polish.

Try and real him in that way. It always works for me

Showroom Shine
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I have read all the post on this subject,Mikes being in line with my thinking. My process is first a visual inspection,then consult with customer for their driving habits. Unless the person wants to continue using my services evey month. Like Mike said if it's a farmer or construction truck do the 1 step. I would be in the $400 area for an Avalanche. My avatar the Cadillac EXT is similar without the plastic trim. They are a beast to buff. Depending on your skill level,equipment,polishes,it can take 6 to 7 hours. Well that is what it takes me with the Flex and Menzerna. I try to stay on it,to decrease the time needed for correction!