PDA

View Full Version : Back Brace

zinc02gt
02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Do any of you guys wear a back brace when detailing? I'm pretty tall and my back is ALWAYS killing me about 2 hours into correction work. I picked up a Mueller back brace (I used their knee braces in football with good results) to see if it'll help, but are there any recommendations?

Focus2069
02-13-2010, 01:23 AM
try one of those heated sticky pads...they are pretty nifty, and stay warm for like 6-8 hours.

helps keep you warm if its chilly out too :)

Rsurfer
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM
try one of those heated sticky pads...they are pretty nifty, and stay warm for like 6-8 hours.

helps keep you warm if its chilly out too :)Thermo Care is a great product, but for detailing a back brace would give you the support needed.

Focus2069
02-13-2010, 02:18 AM
heh, screw it...buy both :)

nrengle
02-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Or you could go work out in the gym for a year, working on dead lifts, and back hyper extensions, that'll make your back stronger. Especially the Rhomboids.

Ummm, stick with the back brace LOL

Wax Gorilla
02-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Take CoQ 10 everyday !

howejt
02-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Certainly good idea to do as suggested in the previous posts and work on strengthening your core muscle groups plus losing any excess weight if needed. Going to the gym is not always necessary, sometimes just toning the muscles through various light exercises and stretches makes all the difference. This is assuming the pain is not from degenerative discs or other underlying spinal issues. If you are otherwise healthy, consulting a physical therapist would be a good idea since they can help balance the muscles. Back braces are good for adding support, but will likely further cause the muscles to become weaker since they will not be used as much for stabilizing the body. I don't see this happening for a weekend detailer, but more for folks that wear them 8+ hours everyday for their job, whether they need the belt or not.

Another issue you may find more appropriate is to evaluate your work positions from an ergonomic perspective. This could include raising the car for the horizontal surfaces to eliminate bending, either by using some sort of lift, or on the cheap by making a series of stepped pieces of wide lumber that can be driven upon like ramps to raise the car 6-8 inches or more. If you can do most of the work standing up with the tools at the correct height without over-extending arms, at the end of the day you will feel much better and be less fatigued. Without a lift that will be hard to do for the sides, but next time you detail, take note of your working positions.

I'm about 6'3" and certainly understand back pain after detailing from working on lower slung vehicles. It's too easy to bend or twist a certain way that you may regret the next day. But most the pain I get is just from actually using the muscles, so they get a bit sore from the workout... part of the inherent problem of sitting behind a desk everyday. Never had issues when I was standing on my feet all day in a previous job... so basically, my current lifestyle makes me more prone to having problems after detailing. Detailing is really only a trigger to expose a weakness in the body, which is why I don't see the back brace being anything other than a band aide. Try to focus and resolve the underlying problem and you will be happier for it... just my two cents from learning to live with and manage chronic back and neck pain following a car accident 5 years ago.

zinc02gt
02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Well see, I'm 6'6". I played football and basketball in highschool. I weight about 265-270lbs. I have a bit of a gut, but I wouldn't say that I'm fat by any means.

I'm on my phone so quoting is abit frustrating, but I've done dealifts in the past. Let's just say that that was where I was pretty damn strong... It has been awhile though...

oldmodman
02-13-2010, 04:19 PM
After having back surgery in the 80s I tried several remedies, none worked.

So I bought a four post lift and just raise the car up to working level. No more back pain!

Plus it makes it a snap to change the oil, shocks, transmissions, diffs, starters, you name it.

I even use it to lift engines out.