PDA

View Full Version : A Sticky Situation

FloridaNative
04-05-2006, 09:54 AM
:) Hello to everybody from sunny South Fla! :)
I have a bit of a sticky situation and I wonder if any of you geniuses out there have some suggestions for me. :) I was recently experimenting with some different protectants on my dash board and one of the protectants I used left a kind of sticky/tacky film all over my dash and it's driving me nuts. Do you guys have some suggestions on what I can use to remove it? And also what are some of your favorite protectants?? I have heard some people say not to use them at all, but I once had a black Nissan and I never protected the dash and the evil dashboard monster came out and chewed it all up. So I would like to not have that happen again on my new car. Any tips? Thanks guys!
Chaucitos.
Florida Girl

SVTContour
04-05-2006, 10:02 AM
If a damp Microfiber can't remove the protectant and clean the dash at the same time then I would try an All Purpose Cleaner with a microfiber. Each APC is different in it's dillutions and such, but for interiors I use Simple Green and dillute it anywhere from 1:5 for really dirty cars to 1:10 ( which is what I would try with your car).

As far as Protectants go, I have had good luck with Mothers Protectant. It leaves a natural matte finish. I have found that when applying Protectants less is actually better, when too much is applied it can leave a sticky/tacky film like you were describing.

I spray just a small amount on a MF and wipe it on the area, let it penetrate for a few minutes and then I buff off with another dry MF. But like I said, maybe you were applying too much Protectant in the first place.

ScottB
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I would also suggest and APC (use on a damp towel so as to dilute the APC) and rewipe after allowing to dry. I live in Fl and dont use a protectant, I simply clean with Megs Quik Interior Detailer monthly as I like no shine. (I wish it offered a little UV protection however) If you want a matte surface look to 303 Protectant.

SVTContour
04-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I was just checking out the 303 Protectant on AG, it sure looks very impressive, but a little pricey also.

Mr. Clean
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I concur with the suggestions of using a diluted APC to clean the remaining sticky residue, if a damp MF doesn't work. I would lean more towards the 1:10 dilution, if necessary.

I have several (I count 9) vinyl/rubber products and each works well. The one I reach for most often however, is Poorboy's Natural Look beacause (in no particular order) 1) It has some light cleaners so unless the interior is really dirty, it saves me a step. 2) It has a pleasant (to my nose) scent and it is short lived and not overpowering. 3) It contains biocides 4) It finishes with a more "natural look"

FloridaNative
04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice, I will definitely try it out. :-) You see!! You all really are geniuses out there. :-) Thanks again.