PDA

View Full Version : Can Tire Shine Dry Rot Tires?

rwright
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok, this sounds odd to me and most likely has been covered. I did search but no results to what I'm looking for. I'm a member on another forum dealing with my car (srt-4) and a thread was started about what type of tire shine to use. One member stated that to be careful because almost all the dressings on the market will dry rot the tires. I called bluff and asked if he was saying that it's not the harsh chemicals used to clean the tire that is damaging them but it's actually the product made to restore and condition them? With this, no answer.

Then, another member stated that he sprayed his tires with some Armorall Extreme Tire Shine, put the car in storage for 7 months during his deployment, only to return to tires that had dry rotted.

So my question, is it possible for tire dressings to dry rot or destroy a tire? I have never heard this.

Discuss.

rwright
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
no input?

08 300C
02-11-2010, 09:08 PM
All I use are Wolfgang Products due to their VOC Compliance, here is a quote from theit description page:

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel is the final touch for pampered, good-looking tires. It delivers a stunning semi-gloss, satiny finish, even on older tires. This concentrated gel applies evenly, is absorbed into the rubber, repelling UV rays, rain, and detergents. Black Diamond prolongs the life of your tires, conditioning and revitalizing them for up to two weeks, including a couple of washings! More than a tire dressing, Black Diamond Tire Gel keeps tire walls supple and hydrated.

rwright
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I have never heard of tire dressings causing dry rot. Just curious if others have heard this? I haven't experienced this issue either, which is why it's odd to me that someone would make that statement. I've used tire dressings for 15 years and haven't experienced this type of problem.

08 300C
02-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I used to hear that Armour all would dry rot your vinyl by sucking the essential oils from it and the oils in it would actually boil the surface in the extreme heat, never saw any proof of it though.

Shane731
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I think that the tire shine you are referring to is the old petroleum-based tire dressings. I don't think that the newer VOC compliant tire dressings will cause dry rot.

vegasdenali
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I have heard that some tire dressings that contain alcohols, like armor all, can in fact cause the rubber to dry out. That's anecdotal but I've heard that from several sources.

ScottB
02-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I have heard of low grade silicones in some dressings damaging the tires casings coatings. More do to the chemicals and additives added into the tires from the manufacturer to try and protect against UV exposure most likely reacting with them .

sullysdetailing
02-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I have heard of low grade silicones in some dressings damaging the tires casings coatings. More do to the chemicals and additives added into the tires from the manufacturer to try and protect against UV exposure most likely reacting with them .

X2 i have heard the same thing

Matt
02-12-2010, 06:48 AM

x3 is also what I've heard

rwright
02-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. :xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I think that the tire shine you are referring to is the old petroleum-based tire dressings. I don't think that the newer VOC compliant tire dressings will cause dry rot.
Shane is correct! BTW, OPti-Bond is a great tire dressing if you want a nice satin finish,303 is good for a matte finish. Both are great UV inhibitors.

trhland
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
tires Already have uv protectants in them. you really dont even need dressing if didnt want to use any....