PDA

View Full Version : How to keep polished wheels shiny?

Mark Preus
02-10-2010, 09:59 PM
I got polished aluminum wheels on my stang and I can spend hours polishing on them and the first time it rains they look like poop. Not literally poop but not as good as they did. Any suggestions on how to keep them looking better longer? I usually use the mothers polish with the powerball just as I imagine the man Chip Foose would do himself. Thanks

DARK HORSE
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
After you polish them, seal them with Poorboys World Wheel sealant. They will still get poopy after a rain, but the poop will wipe right off with ease and your wheels will look great again with out effort.

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax (http://www.autogeek.net/pbws.html)

Shade Tree
02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
After you polish them, seal them with Poorboys World Wheel sealant. They will still get poopy after a rain, but the poop will wipe right off with ease and your wheels will look great again with out effort.

Poorboy’s Wheel Sealant: Protective sealant that improves & maintains the appearance of wheels. wheel protection, poorboys wheel wax (http://www.autogeek.net/pbws.html)

+1

Wheel wax and even sealant works well to preserve the polished appearance. Maintenance is a breeze as you'll want to reapply the wax maybe once a month or so depending on driving time and wash intervals.

ScottB
02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Wheel Sealant help indeed ... Poorboys, DP, and Wheelwax all offer dedicated wheel sealants.

Polishing a wheel prior to sealing will help too just remember clearcoated wheels need to be treated like paint and thus us paint polishes.

WiSh4SvTs
02-11-2010, 01:20 AM
Leave them black= no polishing. But they look sweet polished.

Clutch34
02-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Wheel Sealant help indeed ... Poorboys, DP, and Wheelwax all offer dedicated wheel sealants.

Polishing a wheel prior to sealing will help too just remember clearcoated wheels need to be treated like paint and thus us paint polishes.

How can you tell if the wheels are clearcoated or not?

ScottB
02-11-2010, 09:21 AM
How can you tell if the wheels are clearcoated or not?

I might suggest contacting the manufacturer as one way or the reseller. Another way is to test a very small unseen spot. When using a metal polish against an uncoated wheel the tarnish almost turns a black color when rubbing. Unfortunately metal polishes can harm coated wheels so its not the best choice IMO and thus tread carefully.

Mike Phillips
02-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Another way is to test a very small unseen spot. When using a metal polish against an uncoated wheel the tarnish almost turns a black color when rubbing.

This is correct and a great visual indicator if you're working on uncoated, bare aluminum.

Unfortunately metal polishes can harm coated wheels so its not the best choice IMO and thus tread carefully.

This is also correct and the problem is you might not find out you have coated wheels until after you've rubbed on the clear surface potentially dulling the coating.

Here's another way that is usually a safer approach. Use a paint cleaner or even a cleaner/wax on the wheel. If the wheel has a clear coat on it then the paint cleaner, compound, swirl mark remover, basically anything safe for use on the clear coat on your car won't harm the wheel.

If the wheel is uncoated, then in most cases there will be enough abrading power in most clear coat compounds, paint cleaners and/or SMR's to do like a metal polish would do and that's abrade the metal a little and turn your cloth black.

You're talking to a guy that has owned a lot of polished aluminum in his life and is part aluminum himself. :D

From left to right,

Jonny Zurba - Wet Wedge Water-Fed Sanding Blocks (http://www.wetwedge.com/)
Pete Santini - Santini's Paint & Body Werkes (http://www.santiniusa.com/)
(Me)
http://www.showcargarage.com/gallery/files/1/700_JonnyPeteMike01.jpg

:)

Mark Preus
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Leave them black= no polishing. But they look sweet polished.

Yeah but even if there black the lip is still polished

dublifecrisis
02-11-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm liking DP Wheel Glaze. Seems to last about a month with easy maintenance in between.

dood786
02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Like the others mentioned, once a wheel has been properly cleaned once and waxed regularly, soap and water alone will be suitable

Old Tiger
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I use DG 105 over DG Bomding Agent I apply OCW after most washes. Works as well as DP Wheel Glaze and is even more durable IME.

Old Tiger
02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I like the Optimum Metal Polish (on BOGO now) followed by DG Bonding Agent and DG105. Very durable IME.

pwcheenie
02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I recently polished up my Vette wheels which are uncoated aluminum. Tryed different product that were setting around. Mothers aluminum & mag wheel polish shinned up the best. Then applied Wolfgang paintwork polish enhancer, followed by 2 coats of Wolfgang deep gloss sprits sealant. The final step was 2 coats of Adams brilliant spray glaze. The aluminum shinned up like chrome. I can't say that paint products should not be used on aluminum. Wheels still shine without any issues so far.