PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with customers/clients who wants to bargain

anson89
02-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I've been dealing with a lot of impossible clients lately. I just got an email from a high end exotic tuning/semi-dealership and wants me to detail a Porsche Cayenne Turbo before they sell it. He tells me to give him the best price possible and he will bring in more clients for me in the future. He doesn't need all that fancy wheel detail, interior, exterior trim dressing, exterior metal polish. Just wants a wash, clay bar, paint correction, sealant and wax. I quoted him $255 for a single stage paint correction and $310 for two stage paint correction and tells me if I can do $200. I then explain to him that it's not fair for my other clients that drives 4 hours and bring their car to me a for a detail and pay more. He then replies with, "I'm not telling you to advertise what you can do for me."

So I tell him to not put on any sealant and I'll do $200 for a single stage. No reply yet, but we'll see.

Sigh.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I would suggest if you do get the other cars you would possible discount the others when you get them. I would not discount up front since you might not see the other cars. You need to stand your ground with this guy, and like I said tell him after you see these other cars something can be worked out, but not before. Also if you have a portfolio to show him your work that would help you with your prices. This is were you need to sell him on your services. This is part of doing business, selling the job and then actually doing the detail itself.

anson89
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Yup, he has seen my work and so did his friend. I detailed his friends Porsche as well and he referred me to this guy.

I don't wanna give such a big discount because this will only ruin my reputation and not fair to my other clients.

Harleyguy
02-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Hold your ground and don't give into his low ball efforts.If you feel your work is worth X amount of money then stick with that.If he See's that you gave in just to get the job next step is walking all over you .We all know how tough things are right now and no one wants to loose work.If you have pictures of your work that you can show him or references he will see that your the real deal.Get into the door first and show them what you can do.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Yup, he has seen my work and so did his friend. I detailed his friends Porsche as well and he referred me to this guy.

I don't wanna give such a big discount because this will only ruin my reputation and not fair to my other clients.

I have a client that has over a 100 cars, a lot of them exotics. He said he wanted his wifes car done and his dd. He said give me a package deal. I said sure and quoted him x amount of money and he was thrilled. He then proceeded to give me a 100.00 tip on both cars.

I don't understand why you are harping on your reputation. It seems like you are a little leary about your work. If you are confident your work is good then there is no need to have to give a discount to get a job. By speaking with the customer and your work alone should take care of that. Tell him if you send me x amount of customers my way I will take care of you on your next detail or maintenance. Plus if he keeps pushing for a discount he could turn into a nightmare customer. Stand your ground, if you have to walk away, walk away. I have walked away from several people that say I am expensive. I stay very busy, so don't be afraid to walk away from one here and there. Just ask Jason(Deep Gloss), he will walk away from someone that balks at his price also and he stays very busy.

Kris R
02-10-2010, 09:48 PM
hmmmm

PAR Detailing
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
It seems like you are a little leary about your work. If you are confident your work is good then there is no need to have to give a discount to get a job.

I dont know since im not him but I dont think its his work he is questioning. If im not correct he is a younger guy like myself, Im 21, and to be honest dealing with someone older who is really pushing for a price knockdown can be something fairly new and hard to deal with esp when that person easily doubles your age. I think it is more real time experience in the arena of haggling over prices that he may feel uncomfortable about not his work, I know I have given in to the "Give me a deal now and Ill pass your card around and get you lots of business..." line before and that business never shows up so yes I agree with Mr. Rocket & everyone in saying stick to your prices and then when the business comes give the discount. But experience in haggling with people over price and whatnot comes with age and opportunity, I know I feel more comfortable with it now than I used to but I still absolutely hate doing it.

That is just my take of it
Peace,
Jon

Millennium
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
That customer is not interested in quality work, he is looking for the lowest price. I wouldn't waste my time with him. He has seen your work but still wants to low ball you.

Even if you give into his wishes, he will try to find fault with your work. Forget about him and move on to the next valuable customer.

ScottB
02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
as a salesman once said .... there is a perceived value and a clients value. Unless you can come to terms, sometimes one party needs to walk away.

anson89
02-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys! You're all my hero! LOL

Shade Tree
02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
as a salesman once said .... There is a perceived value and a clients value. Unless you can come to terms, sometimes one party needs to walk away.

word.

AeroCleanse
02-11-2010, 12:53 AM
He's a car dealer so he's used to negotiating every deal. I would say, thank you, my prices are fair. When your serious about it, get back in touch with me.

Matt
02-11-2010, 04:26 AM
I would suggest if you do get the other cars you would possible discount the others when you get them. I would not discount up front since you might not see the other cars.

I think this really is a good way to go.

With this Cayenne, the terms of sale with his customer may have been that the customer required the paint to be corrected if they were to purchase it, and so he only needs that Cayenne to be polished. If that is the case then he might tell you that his other cars need to be detailed so he can get a discount on the one that he needs detailed, and...... done! That's it, he's got exactly what he wanted by being dishonest and you gave him a discount, got only one car from it, and he may even spread around to some close friends how easy it is to trick you.

As Asphalt Rocket said, tell him there will be discounts when he actually sends the other cars your way.....actions speak louder than words.

jpegs13
02-11-2010, 05:24 AM
You have to be careful in a negotiating situation. I was a contractor for many years. In a lot of cases, clients will "throw" a number out there and see if you'll bite on it. 9 times out of 10 you wind up negotiating against yourself. Stand your ground. If YOU think your work is worth it and you can back it up with quality, they'll come around.

Pipelion
02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
All business is "relationship".

You can never go up in price.