PDA

View Full Version : Complaints and not so happy customer?

Pages : [1] 2

anson89
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Hey guys just wondering how do you deal with your clients who thinks your 3 days worth of work on detailing was JUST OK.

These are my scenarios:

Client 1 (Porsche Cayenne):

Full detail int/ext. Vehicle has never been detailed for 5 years. Trunk was messier than my room. Detailed the car in perfect condition, cleaned and condition the interior and even gave him a "room service" for his trunk - like folded his cloths, put everything in a little box. He really liked the exterior work I did, but thought the interior looked the same when he first dropped it off :mad: I spent a good 2 hours on his interior.

Client 2 (BMW 135i):

Did a full exterior detail for this client because he wanted it in good condition before putting on the clear bra. After the detail, he spot checks the whole car and found some minor swirls and scratches which I kinda missed polishing. Also added that I put on too much tire dressing and slinged all over the fenders.

Other than that, my other 24 clients leaves with a smile.

O.C.Detailing
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Here's a thread I started for the same thing. THere are some good comments and it's got great advice.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23229-help-under-whelmed-customer.html

zinc02gt
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Up your game and apologize. Offer to fix it, free of charge obviously, and just up your game the next time.

IMO, 2 hours isn't long enough to do a FULL interior detail.

Shane731
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
You can't please everybody. :dunno:

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
You learn from your mistakes. Make good to your customers and fix what they complained about. Taking this little extra time without argueing with them will go along way for you. Make sure next time you go over the car before giving the car back to your customer so you do not run into this problem again.

Shane731
02-09-2010, 11:03 PM
You learn from your mistakes. Make good to your customers and fix what they complained about. Taking this little extra time without argueing with them will go along way for you. Make sure next time you go over the car before giving the car back to your customer so you do not run into this problem again.

Or better yet, have somebody else (like a friend or family member) go over it. Sometimes that more objective eye can pick out more than your subjective eye can.

ASPHALT ROCKET
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Or better yet, have somebody else (like a friend or family member) go over it. Sometimes that more objective eye can pick out more than your subjective eye can.

I agree and disagree. If you are DETAILING, then you should have that eye for the details.

Shade Tree
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I think the fact that the Porsche owner found things that may have been missed with polishing kinda gave him some ammunition to demean your work etc. Just a thought .......

The one thing I do with each & every car I detail is take before & after pictures of every angle, inside & out, of whatever vehicle I'm working on. I'll always ask the owner if there are any trouble spots that he/she would like me to pay close(r) attention to as well. This helps the customer to feel that they're leaving their ride in capable hands (which they are!) and they may not be so quick to judge upon retrieving the vehicle.

Be sure you are absolutely positive your work is finished & don't leave yourself open for ridicule.

My .02 :props:

Shane731
02-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I agree and disagree. If you are DETAILING, then you should have that eye for the details.

True, but a second set of eyes sure as heck can't hurt.

CharlesW
02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Hey guys just wondering how do you deal with your clients who thinks your 3 days worth of work on detailing was JUST OK.

These are my scenarios:

Client 1 (Porsche Cayenne):

Full detail int/ext. Vehicle has never been detailed for 5 years. Trunk was messier than my room. Detailed the car in perfect condition, cleaned and condition the interior and even gave him a "room service" for his trunk - like folded his cloths, put everything in a little box. He really liked the exterior work I did, but thought the interior looked the same when he first dropped it off :mad: I spent a good 2 hours on his interior.

Client 2 (BMW 135i):

Did a full exterior detail for this client because he wanted it in good condition before putting on the clear bra. After the detail, he spot checks the whole car and found some minor swirls and scratches which I kinda missed polishing. Also added that I put on too much tire dressing and slinged all over the fenders.

Other than that, my other 24 clients leaves with a smile.Client 1 is probably a lost cause. If his interior was that great when he dropped it of, why was he having you clean it?

Client 2 could be a learning experience. By your own adnission, you evidently did miss some swirls and scratches during the polishing. Apologize and correct the problem.
Did the tire dressing sling on the fenders? If it did, apologize and clean everything up.
Learn from your mistakes and don't let it happen again.

PAR Detailing
02-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Ya some customers are lost causes... always trying to save a buck or are just pessimistic in general. I would appologize and if you want explain the process you used to them to show your detail but then say you will correct the problem for them and then remember them and know you dont want to detail for them again... One thing I have learned is that you dont have to do every car someone brings to you, afterall this is a America, even if someone wants your services that doesnt mean you are required to give it to them.

Mike Phillips
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
The one thing I do with each & every car I detail is take before & after pictures of every angle, inside & out, of whatever vehicle I'm working on.

Great advice, especially if in an example like this if the interior is a pigsty.

Guaranteed, most people have a short memory. Taking pictures refreshes their memory and will vindicate you, just be sure if you ever have to remind someone with your pictures to do it in a nice and professional way.

I'll always ask the owner if there are any trouble spots that he/she would like me to pay close(r) attention to as well. This helps the customer to feel that they're leaving their ride in capable hands (which they are!) and they may not be so quick to judge upon retrieving the vehicle.

That is great advice. In fact I'm working on a list of tips and techniques for detailers and would like your permission to use this in the list and give you full credit.

Anyone else with any tips and techniques please e-mail them to me at

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

And I'll include them in the article and give you full credit for your tip.

:dblthumb2:

100% agree.

Just standing at a different height and angle can enable a different set of eyes to see something you might have missed, like a wax smudge or a smear on glass, or trim.

If a set of free eyeballs are around then it doesn't hurt to ask for a one-over.

:)

Shade Tree
02-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Great advice, especially if in an example like this if the interior is a pigsty.

Guaranteed, most people have a short memory. Taking pictures refreshes their memory and will vindicate you, just be sure if you ever have to remind someone with your pictures to do it in a nice and professional way.

That is great advice. In fact I'm working on a list of tips and techniques for detailers and would like your permission to use this in the list and give you full credit.

Anyone else with any tips and techniques please e-mail them to me at

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

And I'll include them in the article and give you full credit for your tip.

:dblthumb2:

100% agree.

Just standing at a different height and angle can enable a different set of eyes to see something you might have missed, like a wax smudge or a smear on glass, or trim.

If a set of free eyeballs are around then it doesn't hurt to ask for a one-over.

Of course you have my permission. :) No need to ask, but thanks for doing so!

Mike Phillips
02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Of course you have my permission. :) No need to ask, but thanks for doing so!

Thank you.

On discussion forums, it seems that all to often people will lift or downright steal someone's work, as in words, and the repost them as their own, while this might be the norm I for one refuse to be a part of it.

An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind - John Cougar Mellencamp

DOlmsted
02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by CieraSL

along with a second set of eyes try moving the car to a different light and go over the car again before returning it. Sometimes a different light can highlight areas you missed