PDA

View Full Version : Need help with glass polishing

Rye
02-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I am trying to remove some scratches from the front windshield of my '06 Acura TSX. They were caused by old wiper blades or dirt imbedded in the blades, not sure which one as I did not own the car when this happened. There are fine scratches all along the path of the wipers that you can feel slightly with your fingernail and can see in the reflection of a light source.

I have tried to remove the scratches using the only product I have for this, Griots Fine Glass Polish, with no luck. I used a CSS orange pad on the new Griots DA polisher on setting 5 for quite a while. I do not think it even deminished the appearance of them.

Does anyone know of a way to remove the scratches? And if that is not an option, does anyone know of a product to hide them, like a glaze for glass?

O.C.Detailing
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
If you can feel them with your fingernail, I'm afraid you'll have to get a new windshield. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of people being able to remove scratches of that description before.

christian900se
02-09-2010, 12:57 AM
You need to step up to a felt polishing pad because the orange pad is not aggressive enough to polish defects out of glass. These are the pads I am talking about:

Glass Polishing Pads, glass leveling discs, abraded discs, auto glass polish (http://autogeek.net/glass-polishing-pad-5inch.html)

I used those with great sucess on the same wiper trails that you have and I was able to remove or at the very least minimize the appearance.

Wax Gorilla
02-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Use Griots Flat Glass Pads - Their system works great with their 3" polisher with moderate to heavy pressure. You are loosing all your cut with the cushion of the pad you are using.

Rye
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try one of the pads you mentioned.

DARK HORSE
02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
You need to step up to a felt polishing pad because the orange pad is not aggressive enough to polish defects out of glass. These are the pads I am talking about:

Glass Polishing Pads, glass leveling discs, abraded discs, auto glass polish (http://autogeek.net/glass-polishing-pad-5inch.html)

I used those with great sucess on the same wiper trails that you have and I was able to remove or at the very least minimize the appearance.

What polish did you use with these pads?

christian900se
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
What polish did you use with these pads?

The polish that comes with the Lake Country glass polishing kit, it is a white compound similar in consistency to Menz Power Gloss.